Are there any transformers characters that could be consider anprim (anarcho primitivists)?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by BWIguanusfan2, Jan 12, 2022.

?

was this a mistake?

1. yes

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. no

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. the industry revolution was a mistake

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  1. BWIguanusfan2

BWIguanusfan2 fan of BW Iguanus

YouTube (Legacy):
    I know that transformers are technological in nature, but there are thousands of transformers characters, and one of those character's bios has something adjacent to the niche political ideology of anarcho primitivism (which basically means an anprim wants society to return to being cave people and reject technology). season 1 Beast Machines Optimus Primal doesn't count because be only rejected technology but wasn't against systems of government that weren't anarchy adjacent.

the theoretical personality of this character might be like they want the life's of cybertronians to return to state before society existed and rejects the usage technology that isn't innately part of their being. they should probably like nature too.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  2. trokanmariel33

trokanmariel33 Banned

By his demeanour, Shockwave is the intellectually closest thing to a primitivist; now, to use the term primitivist is a very precarious thing to do, in this context, because of the cult identity of naturism. The cult identity of naturism is a right-wing creation, that conflates who Shockwave actually is. In the 1986 movie, when Unicron attacks Cybertron, Shockwave's rally to Decepticons is an inevitable logistic of maturity, because of the character's literal professional modus.

When I said, earlier, that "that conflates who Shockwave actually is", I created a type of artistic effect, in regards to the overall topic at hand. Especially with respect to the right-wing reference (an attack on right-wing politics) having been the immediate precursor.

Shockwave is a professional. He is an implied tactician against brutality, which is the real reason why Megatron attacks Shockwave but never Soundwave. When Unicron attacks, Shockwave is being a defender of professionalism, but not a defender of the state for its own sake.

Now, herein lies an even greater irony: to be a Shockwave means to be a state-defender for its own sake, but, only in the context of pragmatism. Unicron's arrival is a universal calling to pragmatism, which makes Shockwave's interpretation about comedy. Shockwave is a one calling. One calling. One calling.

Shockwave is a "Hi Donald". A "Hi Donald" is a professional whose wiling to act the fool, in order to stop harm from happening anywhere.

The fact that Shockwave is attacked by Megatron, is a troubling sign about Megatron's writing status: when people write for tv shows and movies, are there magic puppet signals to influence how things get written?

In any case, Shockwave is the real meaning of the primitivist, which means to be about juggling things on purpose, so that the non-act of juggling can be a true singularity.

3. BWIguanusfan2

YouTube (Legacy):
    I don't care what historically primitivism in the popular society
    I don't care why the label "primitivism" was created historically, we are talking its modern-day usage, specifically anarcho primitivism, which I already explained what it was before. here's a fun song created by the famous political youtuber jreg that completely explains what exactly what anprim if you still don't know what I'm talking about.

this was interesting post, but not really at all what I was looking for at all. it's unclear which version of shockwave you're talking about. in the marvel comics he subdues everyone but rachet and dinobots, and in the carton shockwave only defended Cybertron out of pragmatism but never had a power struggle with Megatron. if you're talking about IDW shock, he clearly is nowhere close to supporting any form of anprim because he literally wants to destroy the universe so Cybertron can become stronger or wants cybertronians to conquer the entire universe, authoritarian at the very least. g1 shockwave overall seems to be somewhere on the authoritarian spectrum, or there isn't a difference if you believe in horseshoe theory, which is just not anarchy at all. anarcho primitivism is also highly illogical because a vvery high ammount of the population is going to starve to death because any processing facilities will be destroyed.

i'm also looking for so for an obscure character

• Like Like x 1
  4. trokanmariel33

trokanmariel33 Banned

Thanks for your response. The highest truth, one could perhaps argue, with anarcho primitivism is that its about accomplishing the true independence. By this, one refers not to libertarianism, which is a bullshit system of needing others to be employed so that one can have the ranch, but to what I alluded to at the end of my last commentary: having the means and the ends be in sync with one another.

With the creation of the space-bridge (and I suppose it's pertinent at this point for me to confirm, that yes, I am talking about G1 Shockwave, The Gentleman) being plausibly a metaphor, for the means and ends being in sync with each other, it supports the outlook on Shockwave being an overall metaphor for the "real truth" of anarcho primitivism. Now, what's the foremost issue, of this assertion, is that the writers "might" hardly have been self-aware creators, of Shockwave's space bridge association, which leads onto the philosophy that all Earth and universe writing is influenced by extraterrestrial development.

Is it out of the question, that all writing in the universe is by default a system of co-ordination with outside reality forces? Well, the scopeness and contrast of reality for one helps that outlook. Would you have leniency, on that philosophy?

5. GitGudGabe

GitGudGabe v e h i c o n

News Credits:
    I was going to say Optimus primal as a joke, because "return to MONKE".
    But then I remembered the first season of beast machines, where his stated goal was to stop Megatron's rampant industrialization. Megatron forced the partly organic Cybertron into a fully technological hellhole without individuality. Cybertron, once full of diverse lifeforms, now reforged into uniform cars on an assembly line. Optimus aimed to stop this this in the first season by returning Cybertron to it's pre-technological, primitive state through guerrilla warfare (bad-dum-tsss).
    So, pre-character development, BM primal is as close as you can get.
    Be transformed
    Return to monke

• Like Like x 2
  6. BWIguanusfan2

YouTube (Legacy):
    he definitely has the primitivist part of anprim, but it isn't clear as which form of government system prefers. I feel like he would support communism (because he's a hippie and all) or a representational republic and would not desire a society that was a true (primitivist) anarchy.
    return to monke indeed.

I was thinking RTS mindset is anprim adjacent (at least from his short tfwiki bio). he hates change, he's old and he looks like a caveman with those portions. I feel like there was a micromaster who basically anprim, but I can't remember anything else about then

7. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    What the heck is an anarco-primitivist? Are those the ‘return to monky’ people?

• Like Like x 2
  8. BWIguanusfan2

YouTube (Legacy):
    to put it simple, anarcho-primitivists are people who believe that technology has ruined what it means to be human, so they want society to reject all forms of technology forever and turn to being cavemen. they also there to be no form of structured government ever again so future humans can never organize and create anything more advanced than hunters and gathers. they also hate cyborgs. Jreg's song is a better explanation.

9. Beastwarsfan95

News Credits:
    So they ARE the ‘return to monky’ people. Reminds me for the book “Man after man” where a race of ape-like human descendants have memories of their ancestors building cities and even traveling to the stars, and while these ape-men can create technology they choose not to because they remember how their ancestors basically screwed over the earth. So they choose to live the monkey life.

• Like Like x 2
  10. BWIguanusfan2

YouTube (Legacy):
    Dougal Dixon's weird hippocrtiical anprim agenda with Man After Man makes no sense. I would love to own a copy if it's reprinted at some point in the future. I would have worshiped one of those spec evo books as a child.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Beastwarsfan95

News Credits:
    Dixon actually had little to do with the book, his original idea was a sequel to After Man where humans return to earth and screw up the environment. (A concept later reworked into his japan-exclusive book GreenWorld) Dixon has gone on record saying he hated the final product, the publisher basically slapped his name on it for recognition. There’s also the fact one of the creatures in the book may or may not have been stolen from Dwayne Barlow’s artwork.

It’s funny how MaM is basically the ‘return to monky’ meme a solid twenty years before it existed.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BWIguanusfan2

YouTube (Legacy):
    Regardless of who actually wrote it, the anprim themes are hypocritical, not supported by the story itself and stupid. I feel like too much of the time of the book was spent the majority of the book was spent on the forest dwellers and, well, not spec evo.

13. BWIguanusfan2

YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm going to continue to scrouge tfwiki till I find some the characters that satisfied some of my requisites, then I'll post my findings. then I'll likely make a new thread about ancap, mercantilism, Mormon theocracy, transhumanism and various other noncontroversial ideologies

14. Robomaster726

Robomaster726 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ummmm… why?? And Mormon theocracy skirts a little too close to the religious to be any good. In fact, many of these might be dangerous territory to tread honestly.

I… just don’t get this need to get so incredibly heavy handed with exploring such deep (and in many times slightly controversial) aspects of Transformers fiction. Especially because it’s just that. Fiction. I mean, on top of it, they’re robots. This is not like exploring these aspects with Star Trek which was designed specifically to address social commentary like this. Transformers fiction was made to sell toys.

• Like Like x 1
  15. pammins

pammins Active Member

Twitter:
    I believe that the quintessons would join deep green resistance

16. BWIguanusfan2

YouTube (Legacy):
    just wanted to see if anyone was paying attention lol.

just smh. just because something is a toy commercial 4 da kids, doesn't you can't tell a story with deep themes (armada), or at least try and not do it well (beast machines).

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  17. Robomaster726

Robomaster726 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You are correct in that just because it’s a story aimed at kids, it doesn’t mean it can’t be done with social themes or done well. But by and large, the average viewer will likely not pick up on these unless they are either blatantly overt, or so well written that the subtlety isn’t lost in translation to the final product we see on screen.

But I would hardly qualify any Transformers media, outside possibly the comics, of having “deep” themes. Sure, important and socially conscious. But deep… I don’t know… I still say if I want deep themes I’d be better off watching a show specifically catered to it over trying to extract an iota of possibly non existent context from a children’s show.

I don’t see a lot of people analyzing Daniel the Tiger’s lessons about being friends in one episode to the extent of “what is friendship in a metaphysical context?”

18. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Beachcomber?

19. BWIguanusfan2

YouTube (Legacy):
    while beachcomber is a natural loving hippie, he's definitely not an anprim. beachcomber's heart couldn't take starting the anprim uprising, and he would much rather join some commune. communist does not go along with the anarchy in anarcho-primitivism.

20. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    OK, then. How about the Beast? You know, the Dinobot combiner.