Are there any Tranformers NOVELS worth reading?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by batfan007, Aug 22, 2016.

1. batfan007

batfan007 Double Dragon Dying Mode

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Most licensed novels based on existing properties are utter crap (well duh) with some okay stuff if you happen to be a Dr Who or Star Wars fan.

Having read most of all the comics ever published for Transformers, are there any novels that are worth reading, or at least not utter crap?

2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Sadly, Eugenesis comes closest. And I say that as someone who hates fanfic. If you've read Eugenesis, you're done.

3. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Transformers Exodus and Exiles are pretty good but the third in the trilogy was utter crap. Don't even remember its name and I refuse to go over to my desk and check.

4. RADimus prime

RADimus prime not so well known member just known

This must be true because I own Exodus and Exiles and have no clue about the third one....Maybe I should read it

5. Reask

Reask Predacon

The third book of that trilogy was Retribution and it's the only one of the trilogy I own, but I picked it up because I wanted to see how they connected WFC to Transformers Prime and I wanted a new Quintesson story. ... Unfortunately because I'm lazy with books I didn't get very far sorry. The stuff I did read at the start with the Decepticons and the Star Seekers was, meh, nothing more really.

6. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pretty much.

7. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    Eugenesis.

8. Reask

Reask Predacon

Hey speaking of TF books, what's the general opinion on Simon Furman's unreleased book, Alignment? I haven't read it yet because I would prefer to catch up with the old G1 and G2 Marvel comics first but I did read the ending that connected the comics to
    Beast Wars,
    and with Liege Maximo as the villain I've been looking forward to reading it for a while but there doesn't seem to be much talk of it.

[​IMG]

9. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Exodus, exiles and retribution are cool

10. Asher Tye

Asher Tye Cassetticon

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I'd like to hear any suggestions too. Read Exodus and, while it was all right, I would like to see other novels. Typically all I can find is fanfic.

11. Stryker055

Stryker055 History Man Extraordinare

If you just want to read a book that has Transformers in it and you're not too picky about stuff like good writing, coherent narrative, or character building, then go for Exodus since it's probably the least terrible official novel we've gotten.

That being said, I've always been fascinated by the Transformers Legends anthology novel. By all accounts it's not particularly good, but the idea of a Transformers short story collection strikes me as pretty cool if done well.

12. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Not really. JRobert's old fan novel Eugenesis is probably the best Transformers Novel you'll read, even if it's a completely fan-made product.

13. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Exodus is OK. It's first half is pretty good at developing a pre-war Megatron, Orion Pax, and Cybertron. The second half covers nearly the entire war on Cybertron and, well, you can imagine how well trying to cram all of that into half a novel went. As for it's sequel, Exiles, it's boring. It moves around too many places, and it never takes full advantage of any of its plots or locations to do anything truly interesting. After that they switched writers for the third one. Didn't read it. Don't care to read it. From what I've heard, it wasn't very good.

People seem to like Eugenesis, James Roberts fanfic, but from what I've heard, it's... Weird. Extremely weird. And that's putting it lightly.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  14. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I think it's less weird now than the time it was first created (considering the kind of turns world-building we see now in IDW). But yeah, it has its moments. The weirdness aspect is a little exaggerated by some who've read it, but it's definitely LSOTW levels of violent.

15. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Pretty much the same; I really like Exodus until the "war" breaks out, then personally I switch to War for Cybertron on the DS and play from there for the rest of the story.

Exiles had some interesting ideas, but it didn't do much with anything and had all this build up to a third faction leader who is revealed to be... someone brand new to the franchise.

I read it some time ago, it was all right. Had some interesting ideas to be sure and is one of the few instances where they really used certain transformers special abilities (Outside of Trailbreaker and the like) as well as had an interesting paradox in it. But really, it was just all right (IMHO).

16. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Agreed, another case of great ideas, subpar writing.

And i still don't see what is wrong with that, some wiki editor took offence to that as well but i don't see how this is a letdown. Thundertron and his Starseekers are a great concept and they where arguably well written in both Exodus and Exiles, but they where wasted on the novels and should be used to greater effect in other TF fiction.

17. batfan007

News Credits:
    I don't care who made what, just if it's worth a look for some reason or other.
    I don't mind fan-fiction so long as it's coherent and doesn't involve extended scenes of bots fellating each other and that sort of stuff :eek: 

18. batfan007

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Needs more Robots... and less weird faces morphing together in a graphic designers nightmare.

19. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    :lolol  :lolol 

20. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Because it is intensely anti-climatic.

When it comes to the format of writing within a pre-established universe, there are certain tools and methods that we've become used to. When writing a Star Trek book, for example, the author doesn't have to spend a lot of time developing Spock, the reader (should) know who that is and what he's about. Similarly, the idea of teasing bits of information without a clear picture is a tried and true trope in comic books in some cases for years, where they're building up to revealing some pre-established character to allow for debate and guesswork. For example, Marvel's Red Hulk's true identity was teased for over a year (despite most people guessing who it was after two issues) as an established character.

On the other hand, when you're creating new characters (or providing their introduction), an author's main job is to convoy knowledge of that character, since there is no short hand for the reader to use. Even the ship and crew of the Star Seekers were name re-used/established characters, only the Captain is new.

So when Exiles kept giving the reader clues as to the identity of the Captain, any versed reader is going to be compiling a list based on the tidbits the author gives. Big. Okay, Overlord? Big and with an animal alt mode. Scorponok? etc. That way when the character is revealed the reader either is satisfied that they guessed, realize where they went wrong, or look him up because they didn't think of it at all and learn something and appreciate this forgotten character. Instead it built up over half a dozen chapters a reveal to an entirely new character which it could have better used describing and informing us of the new character and his dispositions.

At least IMHO. For what it's worth, I agree, it's almost bizarre that the Star Seekers never really materialized. Thundertron gets a toy and that's even. Even Reprolabels doesn't sell sheets for you to assemble a crew with.