Are there any HasTak figures you think outclasses the 3P options?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by YellowCorvette, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is pretty much how I see things too, my only changes would be preferring TT for Prime and Starscream and wanting both 3P and TT for Cliffjumper.

2. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    Hmm. I guess you guys are right. One one hand, I still feel like, when it comes to stuff like MP UM vs. Citizen Stack, or even the Sunstreakers... there really is such a thing as a better toy sometimes. But when it comes down to it, you're right... people have different reasons why a toy is "good." Somebody, somewhere, thinks Bold Forms Gladius is the best MP Megatron because it's the closest to the IDW "-ation" series Megs, and that's what they've always wanted.

(You're DEFINITELY right about Grapple/Inferno... I went with MMC's Inferno specifically because the official was too featureless for my liking)

• Like Like x 1
  3. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

This is a great question and also a great discussion. It is 100%personal preference though, which for some reason a lot of people seem to have a hard time understanding and therefore acting like cats and dogs most of the time as a result.

As for the question, IMO, every single TT MP outclasses and beats the 3P counterpart. That's not to say 3P is shit. They are amazing figures made by people that love this hobby and for the most part, figures TT will likely NEVER do.

Some reasoning behind my answer: I'm a 100% toon (to a fault) aesthetic lover. And no one, absolutely no one does that better than TT. Yes, even with the imperfections that aesthetic can cause to the overall figure, it is still the best thing to ever happen to what TF collecting means TO ME. The Hasui era was great, but it somehow felt like I was not getting what I have always wanted. I just didn't think it was possible.

I want my MP's to look as close to the cartoon as humanly possible, and that is simply not something 3P does as good as TT.

Yes, newer MP Styled Dinobots are better than MP-08. But MP-08 is 100 years old. I'm talking strictly newer, toon-era MP's. I actually sold EVERY SINGLE MP I HAD (every single Hasui era MP, except 13) when the line-art of MP-44 was leaked, as I knew right there that was the beginning of the toon accuracy design that TT was starting. Man, I feel so lucky to be able to collect these figures. They are exactly what I wanted as a child but never got until 30 years later! That is simply crazy!

Other than aesthetics, the #2 thing for me when it comes to these things is to have fun transforming them. The number of posts I read about the sense of relief about the 3P figure come in bot mode inside the box so that "I don't have to transform it" is simply disheartening to me. I could never be that type of collector. If that was my thing I'll simply buy statues or wouldn't collect at all. Transforming my MP's is part of the experience, and I want that experience to be fun, intuitive, and full of MP moments! And no 3P company comes close to match TT in that department. Nowhere near.

So there you have it.

Do not mistake this for the usual 3P hater bullshit. 3P is amazing. Without it, I wouldn't have combiners or a decent-looking Astrotrain, Skyfire, Minibots, etc.

I do only FT 3P though, simply because they tend to hold their value better in case the TT version is announced so that I can at least get my initial investment back (TT Skyfire).

What I don't get though, is the amount of hate some Official only collectors get. Like, what is it to you? How does that affect your collecting or your preferences? Do they sign your paychecks or something? I mean, we have self-proclaimed FT ONLY collectors (luxury) around and, like what? How is that a problem? Lat I checked, that's called having a preference.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

I can completely understand your perspective, being a toon-oriented collector. It is certainly the golden age of MP for you. It's not my thing, but I'm content as long as I still have options. They're dwindling options, though, and once they're gone, I guess I'm just out of the hobby. The trend is certainly in favor of the animation aesthetic right now.

However, I have to say transformation satisfaction is not a given with the TT MPs-- nor consistently absent in 3Ps. I personally love transforming the relatively complex MP-42 Cordon, but MP-44 I find to be a hot mess of origami panels. Likewise, I don't find MP-47 Hound's transformation the slightest bit intuitive, nor is it fun (made even worse by the potential for breakage). I don't have many FT figures (mainly because of the cartoon aesthetic), but the ones I've transformed aren't exactly fun, either. The Hasui MPs are probably the most enjoyable for me, and I think MMC designs generally have clean transformations. Maketoys is a mixed bag, and XTB can be downright frustrating.

Regarding the "official-only" collectors, I haven't seen much hatred aimed specifically at them. I have, however, seen considerable disdain coming from them. I personally don't limit myself to one brand of anything (TFs, cars, clothes, electronics, foods, etc.), and from my perspective it's generally brand loyalists that are throwing the hate. Apple users hate Samsung and vice-versa, Corvette vs. Porsche, Democrats vs. Republicans, etc., etc. Those who aren't waving the flag for Hasbro/TT or a particular 3P are generally pretty open-minded. So, while I'm not saying the HasTak-only crowd isn't receiving any hate, they are certainly dishing it out.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    the reason why so many third parties do
    mP and why they don’t do chug anymore is because people are like rabid lemmings for anything MP. It’s where the market is with the biggest profits are.

6. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    Mp and legends make more sense from a pricing perspective than chug. People are willing to pay put the nose for legends stuff and mp stuff is priced about the same as official stuff but thats still profitable. But chug scale stuff is just a hair less expensive than mp stuff and lots of collectors balk at that.