Are there any HasTak figures you think outclasses the 3P options?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by YellowCorvette, Aug 29, 2021.

1. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Just a guy who watched too much Gundam

News Credits:
    As much as some 3P fans aren't always a fan of HasTak offerings, there's a saying of "even a broken clock is right twice a day".

Just curious, but did you 3P fans have any examples of figures where the official Hasbro/Takara offering (Both mainline and MP) is just as good, or actually superior to any existing 3P options? Even if you aren't always the biggest HasTak fan, can you guys think of there any examples of official figures you think shouldn't be dismissed by 3P fans just because it was a HasTak offering?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  2. bakerjin

bakerjin Well-Known Member

Interesting discussion! Are you referring to Mainline Hasbro or even Takara Masterpiece like? For mainline, the only one I can think of personally is that I preferred the TR Topspin and Twintwist over Mech Ideas versions.

I think if you expand to MP, there will be many differing opinions on MP vs 3P for many offerings. One personal standout for me is MP39 Sunstreaker vs all the 3p versions (Badcube, Omnigonix).

3. Nemesis Compactor

Nemesis Compactor Well-Known Member

I think MP Megatron currently fulfills the need for a G1 faithful Megs better than the older options

Doesn't mean I wouldn't mind seeing someone make another attempt someday.

Preferably in the fully painted, non-toony, "G1 but mature" variety (which some can just read as "Fanstoys", but I won't press the issue further).

• Like Like x 10
  4. mikequillm

mikequillm Well-Endowed Member

News Credits:
    Hastaks clock is missing its hands

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well you have to compare each line to their respective counterparts. Comparing WFC to 3P MPs? No they don't. But comparing MP to 3P MP or CHUG or 3P CHUG would be a better comparison. As I'd say for the money you spend HasTak is better for CHUG, evidence by the fact 3P CHUG has been dead since WFC started and the few attempts to bring it back got bumped to MP.

And for Legends 3P is just better by default.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd hope no 3P fans would pass up a HasTak figure simply because it's a HasTak figure, as that would be dumb and sad. Look at everything available and pic what works for you.

I only collect MP and generally prefer the TT version to any 3P version of the same character. That's not the case at every moment in time though. For example, Appolyon was the best MP Megatron until MP-36 came out as MP-5 is junk. Acoustic wave will be the best MP Soundwave after it drops for the foreseeable future. Grinder the best MP Grimlock currently, imho - probably the only figure I dont prefer the TT version at the moment.

• Like Like x 7
  7. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Just a guy who watched too much Gundam

News Credits:
    For discussion sake, both mainline and MP-scale are welcomed. As for me, there are a few examples I could think of where HasTak's offering is just as good:
    • WFC Siege Jetfire - Some rough aspects aside, this is a very good Jetfire/Skyfire figure with pretty good size, heft, and aesthetic going on; For anyone who is looking for a potential option for a CHUG or MP-scale Jetfire/Skyfire for their G1 MP collection, this one might be a good, serviceable option worth looking (As this figure is also big enough to stands out in any CHUG-scale display, or fits alongside MP-scale figures without looking too small).
    • Takara Armada Optimus Prime prototype - Not sure if this counts, but aesthetic-wise I think this is a much better-looking and faithful representation of Armada/Micron Legend Convoy than FansHobby's Naval Commander; Whereas HasTak's prototype took the original design and added enough flair to makes it dynamic and fitting for the modern aesthetic while still making it recognizable, I hate how FansHobby redesigned the core Convoy itself with the weird feet, fat bodies, thin limbs, resulted in a weaker and blander design that misses the point of the original Armada Convoy design (The god-awful QC and the questionable decision to change into MP-scale on FansHobby's offering didn't help either)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First a disclaimer - I really only do MP and Legends scale and my criteria is G1 toon accuracy.
    Takara has zero game in Legends scale so they don’t even get a look in, but MP they’ve won a few spots. (I’m ignoring bots where there isn’t both an official and a 3P option.)
    MP Megatron beats out all the competition
    I prefer MP Sunstreaker to BadCubes effort
    MP Hound looks better than FT or MT (plastic quality is another matter)
    MP Ironhide and Ratchet kill that Voodoo thingy
    MP Red Alert is better than BadCubes (though BadCube makes a better Sideswipe)
    MP Ultra Magnus slays XTB’s effort
    MP Shockwave is night and day over Quakewave or Quakeblast (remember - G1 accuracy!)
    There’s probably a few others, and there’s cases where it gets quite subjective to the eye of the beholder (Starscream, Arcee, even Optimus)
    Also there’s cases like Inferno/Grapple, Wheeljack, Datsuns etc where we don’t have 3P alternatives so of course you shouldn’t overlook the Takara effort.
    Folks shouldn’t rule out a bit just because it’s a Takara figure - that’s no better than the Kool-Aid swilling jackasses in the official threads who refuse to even look at a 3P offering. Judge each on its own merits and choose the option that works best.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Whomps

Whomps Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MP Megatron> All others
    MP Hound looks really really good even though he feels really off(haven't tried the other Hounds, so I can't compare)
    MP Shockwave I prefer over the others
    MP Sunstreaker blows Badcube's out of the water(Their Sideswipe is the opposite of MP Hound, BC Sideswipe looks better, but MP Sideswipe feels better)
    MP Arcee I prefer the most over the others due to her high poseability(though MMC Azalea is a strong contender for the best)
    Actually there's an MMC of both Inferno and Grapple and a Maketoys of Inferno as well

• Like Like x 1
  10. Líder Optimus

Líder Optimus Well-Known Member

The only one I can think of right now is T30 Springer. It is leagues better than the only option we had, from Fansproject

• Like Like x 2
  11. Nemesis Compactor

Nemesis Compactor Well-Known Member

My prescription would be

HasTak for Inferno for stouter, sturdier character type
    reduced-11939_image_11939_106.jpg
    MMC Kojin for Artfire for a more dynamic flair to the design
    reduced-image_13649_106.jpg
    Maketoys' Wrestle for Grapple for his more, um, scholarly build
    reduced-image_12113_106.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  12. bri888

bri888 bte888

Ebay:
    mp36 megatron, mp grapple and inferno and i think their optimus mp44? but te an magic square fans will probably disagree. hastak also has the best g1 hot rod in ss86 hot rod

• Like Like x 1
  13. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1) WFC Siege Jetfire is a good toy, but FT Jetfire is superior.

[​IMG]

2) MP Ironhide and Rachet are better than 3P versions.

• Like Like x 7
  14. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    grapple and inferno , hound if he didn't have widespread problems

apart from the ko's i think takara megatron is the best option and no problems with mine but i think he could be done better whoever does it though needs to copy the officials facesculpt which is perfect

• Like Like x 1
  15. divinecomedy

divinecomedy JAB-A-WOOOKIE

News Credits:
    For G1 MP:

The Inferno/Grapple/Artfire mould is better than the competition. Same with their Sunstreaker/Cordon mould.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

I can think of no mainline chug I prefer over MMC/planet x/make toys/g creations

Mp scale though I’d give it to Mp megatron. Mp inferno/grapple. Mp hound by a hair. Mp sunstreaker. I guess I’d have to give it to mp44 over both 3p options.

• Like Like x 1
  17. bakerjin

bakerjin Well-Known Member

Exactly how I feel. Siege Jetfire is very impressive but if the discussion is on which Hastak figures are BETTER than 3p alternatives rather than just good in a vacuum, I’d say both FT and Iron Factory Jetfire impress me more than Siege. All 3 are great though.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

Hmm...let me think of all the possible matchups.

MP-08 vs Grinder and Superator ---> I prefer 3rd party. Official is shrimpy and its shoulders are way too high. Takara's was never acceptable to me as an MP (though I did almost buy it to use instead of Classics Grimlock in my Classics display).

MP-12/14 vs Badcube Steamroll/Recon ---> I prefer 3rd party. The proportions on the official are ridiculous, and Takara's Red Alert doesn't even have the doors on his shoulders. Again Takara's was just never acceptable to me.

MP-13 vs Acoustic Wave ---> I prefer the 3rd party. I love MP-13 (except the gap and lack of battery compartment in alt mode), but Acoustic Wave is still leaps and bounds better looking.

MP-22 vs KFC Citizen Stack ---> I prefer MP-22. Though I actually have the THF version because it got rid of the butt flap. But even with the butt flap I'd prefer MP-22 over Citizen Stack, that figure is so non-toon I almost forgot to even mention it.

MP-27/30 vs Voodoo Robots Animus/Salus ---> I prefer Takara's, but only because of the 3rd party Shadow Fisher upgrade kit. So I guess it only half counts. Honestly the fact that Takara didn't bother to design it like the Shadow Fisher kit in the first place, when it's such a simple thing, made me lose a lot of respect for them.

MP-28 vs Hoodlum ---> I prefer 3rd party by a considerable margin, despite it being one of Fanstoys' weakest figures. It looks great on the shelf...unlike MP-28. I mean just look at this, what were they even thinking when designing MP-28? Certainly not about Hot Rod's actual design.

MP-29 vs Quakewave ---> Wholeheartedly prefer MP-29 (even though my first one was defective). Actually MP-29 was pretty much when Takara was at the sweet spot of "super toon accurate in terms of details, but doesn't actually look like a literal cartoon", which is where 3rd Parties have been staying as Takara goes deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole.

MP-33/35 vs Maketoys and MMC Inferno/Grapple ---> Wholeheartedly prefer Takara. It's kinda crazy that these two derpy, c-tier characters got multiple great 3P figures and then a pretty much perfect Takara figure. Primus truly smiled on them.

MP-36 vs Maketoys and XTB Megatron --> Wholeheartedly prefer the Takara mold. Although mine is the IT-01 version, but still. Fantastic mold.

MP-44 vs Op Leader ---> I prefer Op Leader. Albeit with an official Takara trailer. MP-44's backback (and overall wonky profile) is an utterly unacceptable eyesore to me and would have singlehandedly snuffed out any desire I have to collect MP had Op Leader not come along to become my favorite MP of all time.

MP-45 vs Toyworld Bii --> I prefer MP-45. MP-45 has a really flawed profile, but he still looks way better in a lineup than the 3rd party option (or MP-21, for that matter). Still, I'll drop him in a heartbeat if Fanstoys ever makes a version of Bumblebee that's similar to their Cliffjumper.

MP-47 vs Fanstoys and Maketoys Hound ---> I prefer MP-47. Though, I needed to get a KO version to avoid it crumbling to dust. But still I'd be open to buying a fixed reissue. One of Takara's best designs.

MP-51 vs Rouge and Azalea --> I prefer Rouge. Looking at MP-51 depresses me. It's just so off from what I want and expect from an MP that I relive the same sense of bafflement every time I see it. Rouge, on the other hand, looks great to me. She's got a tricky transformation, but it's actually more manageable than you might think if you do it right and keep her on a flat surface. Azalea is also really cool, though not my main Arcee. Wish I'd gotten the Paradron Medic scheme for Azalea instead, so she'd just be a different character.

MP-52 vs DS-01 Crimson Wings ---> I prefer the 3rd party. MP-52 is great looking in a lot of ways, but also deeply flawed in a lot of ways. DS-01 basically takes all the great stuff and filters away the bad stuff. Just gotta hope the QC holds up better than MP-52's did.

MP Cliffjumper vs Parkour ---> I prefer the 3rd party. While I do defend MP-45 from time to time (as it looks better to me than MP-21), the mold still just has so many flaws compared to the much more clean and well-proportioned Parkour.

MP Skyfire vs Phoenix ---> Too early to say.

So I guess in total that makes seven times out of fifteen where I preferred Takara over the 3rd party option (with an asterisk over MP-27/30). Not super terrible, though it's concerning that it's their latest figures with the worst track record. They really are just pushing so hard into looking like a literal cartoon from the front at the expense of a clean 3 dimensional form.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Artereis

Artereis Well-Known Member

I still love the Generations Springer mold. That figure was a gem.

• Like Like x 4
  20. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    Mp-36 and MP-44