Are there any G1 fans left?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Sideswipe80, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Hired Goons

Hired Goons Gassy autobot.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The show was epic and awesome back in the day. Today, it cracks me up. I had a quick discussion with a pal over the epic-ness of GI Joe and Transformers. Cobra trying to steal the world's resources was a five part epic; that would be one episode for an average or even sub-par plan for the Decepticons. My friends have the same memories of the show and same perspective of how we thought it was awesome, and now we think it's hilarious, and we'll still watch these episodes from time to time.

I refused to see the G1 movie (and Season 3) for, like, 10 years. I tried watching G2 once and turned it off once I realized it wasn't a new cartoon series, it was just G1 repackaged. I really was hoping for a new story. As a result, I never watched Beast Machines or Beast Wars or Armada or anything like that. I found the Simpsons and Metallica after that and my world changed for the better (or worse).

I love the original figures and I love the Classics almost equally.

Much love to G1! Hooray!

HOORAY FOR ZOIDBERG!
    -paul

2. Reaper2006

Reaper2006 Elite Sniper

No im not a G1 fan I am a TRANSFORMERS FAN THROUGH AN THROUGH! No matter if its from G1 through to the live action movies I am a fan of ALL the TRANSFORMERS Universes an NO ONE can take that dignity from me.

3. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i love g1 and collect pretty much just g1. but i do like everything tf. im a fan for life.

4. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Well, I am a G1 fan (the TV series, the toys are great, but I only collect mostly BB stuff now) but I'm also a fan of TFTM/ROTF...

5. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Last I checked...there are still plenty of G1 fans out there. Have you looked at the Movies section or the WFC section?? :lol  Everyone thinks that everything is or should be based off of G1, so, I think it is safe to say G1 fans are still here.

6. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I'll always be a G1 fan. I grew up with it and to me it is the best. I prefer the cartoon in general but there are a lot of good comics stories.

7. Single Elegant Machine

Single Elegant Machine Purity and order.

Carbombya was hilarious. The fact that the cartoon hasn't aged well only makes the entire thing even more humorous in a way only classic 80s cheese can provide.

In that sense, I'm still a G1 fan. I would be remiss to fail mentioning, however, that the characters are also classic.

8. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    THIS for me.

9. Chris B

Chris B Well-Known Member

Yes, I love G1.

10. perceptor2.0

perceptor2.0 artist

G1 for life american and japanese

11. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I love G1 I never got into any of this other stuff.

12. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ

News Credits:
    New fan to G1, still love it. I think what Micheal is doing with the franchise now is the biggest mistake ever.
    I don't collect the toys, but am a avid Youtuber looking for review of any G1 toy.
    So, yes, I am still a G1 fan, though I was not born into the series.

13. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Born and raised G1. Still love it and prefer it over any other series and continuing to grow my collection of G1 toy's.
    So yea, plenty of G1 fan's left.

14. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Honestly, I just picked up a G1 Slag yesterday, and I can't be happier. When I was growing up, I had at most 7 G1 figures, which thankfully I kept in good condition because now that I've done more purchasing, those G1 figures that I find are even more awesome. It's like I'm rediscovering pieces I had either never seen before in person, or am going back to the ones I had.

Even the TV episodes, while a bit on the dry side at times, I still love to watch.

15. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    You mean making it into one of the largest, if not the largest, toy franchises today and bringing it back into the public eye, as well as bringing in absolutely huge profits?

Yeah, that's a huge mistake. :rolleyes: 

Listen dude, you can dislike Bay's movies and designs all you want. But you can't say that hiring him was "the biggest mistake ever". He's bringing in money and new fans, and in my book, that's a good thing.

16. LiamK

LiamK Well-Known Member

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. It's what makes the world go round (or something). But saying that G1 Prowl's engineering was better than today's toys is just so wrong I don't even know where to begin. Unless you think that die-cast = quality, I guess.

17. herugrim

herugrim N/A

Ebay:
    I don't know what the original poster was talking about, there have always been, and will always be, plenty of Geewunners around to hate everything new.

Personally I consider myself a huge fan of Generation 1, especially the cartoon. Sure it was cheesy, but it was pure fun. Also, a lot of the character archetypes from the series were stereotypical for the day but twenty five years later you'll be hard pressed to find a television show where the main character acts like John Wayne. That's an archetype I'd love to see more in modern programming.

Also I'll take the dated artwork in the G1 toon over the new animated series any day. Choppy animation aside, G1 was still far more detailed then TFA, and given that it's twenty years it's senior I'd consider that a real shame. Though I will admit the writing was much better in TFA then the cheesy plots of the original series.

Although as far as newer shows and canon goes, I find it rather annoying that people keep asking for a reimagining of G1 when that's what we've been getting for the past ten years. The Unicron Trilogy started as a reimagined G1, and was filled with good homage’s. The movies where yet another reimagining, more faithful to the original but with drastic new designs. Transformers animated was yet another reimagining taking peices from the original series in an entirely different direction. Now we've got another series on the way and once again it is yet another reimagining of G1. Even the comic books keep reimagining the G1 series. Robots In Disguise/Car Robots was that last show that was new, and personally I thought it was a series with a lot of hit and miss.

A decade into the new millennium, and I really the only person who would like something new? How about a series set in the distant future with humans featuring advanced scientific technology and things like fleets of warships and maybe even mobile suits? Or maybe something in the distant past on Cybertron (like a show featuring the predecessors or even ancestors of G1 characters)? At this point I'd even settle for a GI Joe/Transformers crossover television series. At least with Joe, we know we'd get a few good human characters around instead of the unlikable ones Transformers are often paired with.

18. mmhand

mmhand Well-Known Member

My love for everything related to G1 (comics, toys, cartoon, etc.) has been constant. However, my feelings toward the show have changed. It goes like this:

As a kid: This transformers show is the most awesome thing EVER!

As a college student: I feel nostalgic. Let's watch some G1. Wow, these kinda suck. Not as great as I remember. I want something more MATURE.

As a 30 yr. old man: You know, these G1 cartoons remind me of simpler times where adventure lurked around every corner. They are kinda FUN.

19. Nemesis Liger

Nemesis Liger Well-Known Member

*Blinks* Are you kidding? ...Wait, are you talking about here or in general? Reason I ask is that almost every place a go there's more love for G1 than any other continuity out there. o_O  That said, I have a feeling there are plenty of G1 fans out there. Fans for some of the more recent stuff, on the other hand, that's hard to come by. ...At least during my interweb travels.

Anyway, even if it wasn't what got me started on TFs, I do love G1. The characters, the theme, I think it's all good and very enjoyable. However, in some cases, I think it falls short, and I honestly think it could have been better. Only a small number of characters were built up or even chraracterized at all. There are times where I get more out of a character reading the toy bio than I ever did watching the show. Not an all around bad thing, since the main idea was just to sell the toys, but I'm wierd I like to see what a character is like on the show before I go out an' buy'im. ^^;

20. Aspen

Aspen Banned

Hell Yeah! G1 is the absolute. Apart from eh...Season 3 and what they had of Season 4. And the Animated Movie...Ugh.

For me NOTHING in TF beats G1 Season 1, followed by Season 2.

Not a fan at the movies. They are alot like SW's Prequils. See it at the Cinema. Cool. Awesome. Again...hmm. Well. Buy it and take home...WTF was I even thinking? S1 G1 never gets old to me though.

Energon is alright. Beast Wars would have been better animated. Transformers Animated is cute. Etc etc etc.