Are there any funny moments in idw2

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by K2flygurl, Nov 24, 2019.

1. K2flygurl

K2flygurl Banned

Usually I will be posting one thread a day, but a sometimes it will be two or more in one day.

Anyway are there any funny moments in the IDW reboot? Any you guys can think. I ask because sometimes I don’t know a funny moment until someone indirectly points it out for many.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

I've felt like it was a self-serious slog so far. Good ideas but damn does Ruckley need to let his hair down

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lionheart

Lionheart Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Absolutely! But they're not so much jokes or quips, rather, i've found the "funny moments" in this continuity are in the absurdity of specific situations. For example, Soundwave having the audacity to bluntly demand Sentinel to run senatorial elections after just having instigated an international incident by refusing to give Barricade up to Security? I found that funny, Soundwave's audaciousness and total disregard for the atmosphere was intentional on the writers part seeing how comedic Sentinels reaction was after hearing that. There's some other stuff but i'd rather not go hounding through issues for each moment that got a chuckle out of me. Humor is, at the end of the day, completely subjective.

• Like Like x 2
  4. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Tougher than Leather.

It's existence.

• Like Like x 4
  5. kmc

kmc Well-Known Member

THIS.

• Like Like x 2
  6. SuperTitanHans

SuperTitanHans Upgraded

News Credits:
    WHY?

• Like Like x 4
  7. TeamOptimus

TeamOptimus Well-Known Member

Prowl and Landmine have some amusing moments.

I still get a kick out Megatron’s erratic behavior. “This isn’t what madness looks like!!!” he says after going from happy to angry so fast after Orion asked a perfectly reasonable question (I mean, he’s standing there laughing it up after they just went skydiving off the moon). And that tantrum scene LMAO. I loved how Soundwave was just sitting patiently like “are you done, Megatron?”

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lionheart

News Credits:
    Yeah! It's almost ironic that Megatron and Soundwave of all people have been some of the funniest so far in this continuity. I'd argue the few moments Soundwave has had with Bumblebee and Elita have been funny as well. When he appears behind them as they hack away at his computers files, and when he declares that "Courage is the currency of the moment" and Elita goes onto lament how she doesn't even understand what that means. It got a chuckle out of me.

• Like Like x 2
  9. TeamOptimus

I laughed at Elita’s line. It’s like Ruckley was self aware lol.

The funniest thing about Megatron and Soundwave is the off screen stuff in their relationship. Take that speech Megatron gave with the lights and flag, for instance. He PLANNED all of that.

He and Soundwave had to sit down and Megs laid out the plan like: “Listen up Soundwave. I need a bunch of Ascenticons standing in the shadows while I give a really dramatic speech with lots of posing. I’ll need a flag so I can dramatically raise it up. And here’s the most important part: When I say “turn on the lights” you’re going to turn those on and reveal everyone. Then someone’s going to hand me a torch and I’ll dramatically draw our new angry symbol on the flag. This will be broadcast to all of Cybertron and they will appreciate my genius.”

Soundwave: “As you command, Megatron.”

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Lionheart

News Credits:
    I DIDN'T EVEN CONSIDER THIS. WHAT A BUNCH OF EXTRA DORKS. This wouldn't even be the first time Megatron livestreams in the book either. Earlier on in issue #5 Soundwave was recording Megatron inside of his house and the backdrop was a single purple fabric being held on a pole like a curtain LOL. I don't know how any Cybertronian could possibly take their politicians seriously. Whats even better is Megatron and Soundwave are equals right now as senators. Soundwave doesn't have to do this, so he might think these videos really are a good idea I guess.

• Like Like x 2
  11. TeamOptimus

Yeah it’s hilarious. The speeches and videos and an entire “disequilibrium” monologue before he jumps off the moon. Or the ominous “beware of detonating weapons in a confined space” thing he says as he storms out of a senate meeting. He’s extra as hell (and kind of unhinged) and I’m starting to appreciate him the more I reread the issues. (And don’t forget that the Ascenticon HQ is a repurposed gladiator arena. showy and dramatic to the max).

My theory is that he’s still a gladiator at heart and he’s used to playing it up for the crowds, so now he’s channeling that energy into other places.

And that’s true about Soundwave lmao. I want a whole issue about these two now. They’re just sitting in Megatron’s office: “So, I was thinking purple. Does that sound okay or should I go with yellow?”

Jeez it’s so great.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Lionheart

News Credits:
    I was thinking the exact same thing. Theatrics is probably his strongest suit and he lives for it. Also I had no idea about Ascenticon HQ being a former gladiatorial arena?! Was that brought up in an issue or did Ruckley mention it in a Q&A or tweet?

• Like Like x 2
  13. TeamOptimus

Yeah, exactly. This is what he’s been doing for ages.

It’s in the issue where Bee is taking the tour with Elita. And also in issue 11 when they go to the old gladiator gate or whatever they call it to do the Barricade kidnapping/explosion. You can see murals on the wall of gladiators and stuff, it’s pretty cool. There was one particular part where Barricade told Bumblebee (paraphrasing) “I used to want to be a gladiator, but hey, I got here eventually (even if it’s shut down now).”

This is the arena Megatron was probably talking about in the flashback issue. They were building a new one after the war and he was excited to go back.

I get the feeling that when they banned the sport, it destroyed a piece of him and that’s part of why he’s so bitter. And now he’s not at his full strength either because of energon rations.

I picked up a lot of new details when I reread 1-11 in one sitting a while ago. It was better the second and third time through because of stuff like this.

• Like Like x 2
  14. FelixORST

FelixORST Active Member

Its constant failures in trying to be good are quite funny, if you ask me.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Grimlock528

Grimlock528 Well-Known Member

This is what I came here for.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Issue #8 had a somewhat humorous moment, when Cyclonus crashes through the building, he’s like “‘sup?” And poor Froid got abandoned by Chromia when she was in the middle of pulling him from the rubble.

Issue #9 and #10 also had a few humorous moment, with Sideswipe being obsessed with the thermal lance, and then, after the mission ended badly, all the only thing he is moaning about is being called “Slowswipe.”

17. Lionheart

News Credits:
    Yeah this is one of those things that I love so far about this continuity. There are these subtle details in things said offhand or shown in the background. You can infer things on that alone and suddenly the world becomes a lot richer. It also makes for great theory crafting and discussion.

• Like Like x 3