Are the Titan Class figures worth it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tyjos, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Twitter:
    When I first jumped on the titan class figure line when they began with Fortress Maximus I thought they were COOL, but when I purged off my collection last year found they were just too big to me and while fun to have didn't really feel like they were worth the price paid for them.

I had Trypticon and gave that to my Nephew and he loved it and I guess because he's younger and loves that sort of thing they might appeal more to the younger collector [he is a Teenager, I'm 36] finding that my focus for collecting is shifting towards Prop Replicas and looking at prices I'm now debating between getting another Titan Class for the collection Omega Supreme or Scorponok but at the $150+ price Point I can get a 1:1 Scale Star Trek The Next Generation Phaser Rifle this month and feels like it's one of those crazy mental debates right now.

A Big Transformer or a Phaser Rifle?

But I can't be sure if Scorponok is going to be cooler for the collection or if Omega Supreme will be more appealing to go along with the Ark when it gets released.

Titans are Cool to me they look cool when they are all together but something just feels off to me now looking at them, been getting tired of large sized items and want things that are more display space friendly and that's part of why I got rid of my Titan Class figures when I had them but I only had 2 at best [Trypticon and Fortress Maximus] I did have a G1 Reissue Fort Max and that was super cool kinda wish I had kept it but it was sold a few years ago and found that to be cooler visually and had a more nostalgic feel to it than the newer Titan Class Fort Max.

Are the Titans Worth the $100+ price?

2. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, if you can get them at USD100-200, I’d say they’re worth it. They can be as good as a centerpiece as any.

I feel your dilemma as last 2019 I found myself purging my Optimus collection to fund a GMW-B5000 G-shock. But the Titan Metroplex I somehow kept.

Titans are display hogs. No going around that. Honestly, for my Metroplex, I prefer to display him in base/flat top mode and just save the robot mode for storage purposes. But more than just Metroplex, I also have a LOT of little bots I can sprinkle around him just to make the display a bit more….dynamic.

ACA2952D-42F1-4475-B2D8-6AFF274F8745.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 12
  3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Rosso Corsa

Titans are cool. I had a few myself, but they take up a lot of real estate, so I got rid of them. I have a limited display that I don’t want to expand yet.

4. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    I like the Titans because they stand out against the rest of a collection and become a focal point.

But really, the value is a highly subjective question. I find their value because I don't collect much else besides Transformers aside from some Lego sets and oddities here and there. So for me, I wouldn't pay $5 for a phaser rifle because I'm not into Star Trek, but if that's where your interests lie and you feel that's the focus of where you are as a collector then absolutely shrug of the Titans and get the rifle. You do you!

• Like Like x 1
  5. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I don't really like Metroplex, but I have enjoyed ever Titan release since. The US version of Devy was a bit weak but Unite Warriors helped.

I'm still surprised by the comparative lack of repaints, Grand Max and Black Zarak notwithstanding.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 2fabdad

2fabdad Well-Known Member

Yes

• Like Like x 4
  7. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depends on which one it is.

Omega Supreme, absolutely. He is a well developed toy that is solid and engineered well and does the alt mode in a well designed fashion and doesn't look like an aftertough. He is also a well known and used character.

The rest all feel like the alt is a secondary thing and not that much effort was put into them.

I got Fortress Maximus because I was a sucker for the spaceship mode, but am extremely disappointed with the robot and how unstable he is, Ankle tilt would have been a huge help. The base mode is a joke overall as his legs can't even be used in the way they are, even as rehashed parts from Metroplex. Tripticon looks nice but quality issues for such a high priced item is a ridiculous.

Metroplex too skinny and again, alt mode is poor.

Skorponok is in the better direction but still, lacks a lot that would make me care for it.

But for me, it's not a 100+ thing in my country, it's a 200+, so for that price, I am going to be a bit more objective and unbiased about quality.

8. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For me the answer is no with the caveat that i bought Devy and want Predaking. Because they can integrate in my collection and break apart for storage ease. The regular titans just dont fit in my collection because of scale and price

9. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

They've been worth every penny. It just looks awesome have these titanic figures with all the deluxes, voyagers, etc. It's like a scene right out of the cartoon.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Spether

Spether Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are they worth it? Why yes, yes they are!

IMG_20210429_131007.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  11. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Absolutely! I do find Metroplex to be the weakest and Fort Max being slightly improved over him.

I love Omega and Scorponok, they are the best of the crop to me, where poor Trypticon is just kind of MEH, but also who doesn't love a giant dinosaur!

Predaking and Devastator are the outliers for me. I really enjoy them but I really don't consider them Titans in my head. Yes I know they are. Predaking definitely looks great posed with ER Sky Lynx.

It's totally up to the individual really. Most everyone who comes to my house always really likes the Big ones as they say. I just wish I had space to display some of them in their base modes, but I don't anymore. Haslab Unicron took the last bit of free space I had that I used to rotate the Titans on.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Omega Supreme and Scorponok, yes. Combiners, yes but with some reservations. Others, pass.

13. poisoncow

poisoncow ....

Probably not the person to ask..... 20200915_103032_(1).jpg
    (Devs and Preds are elsewhere currently, but I assure you they're roomates with these guys)

• Like Like x 6
  14. harrisongibb

harrisongibb Well-Known Member

I love the ones that I have but I most likely won’t pay the current asking price for the ones I don’t: Metroplex, Fortress Maximus and Trypticon. I can’t imagine feeling anything but buyer’s remorse if I paid $500+ for Metroplex.

But who knows really, FOMO is a hell of a drug.

15. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

Fort Max seemed great in images but then I saw him in person at retail....nope. Saw him later at a collectors' flea market...less imposing when not in the box but still nope. Zeta came out with the smaller leader-class version...okay! Mastermind released Odin-- Hell yes! Scored a KO Kabaya Model Fort Max, fully transformable, on a trip to the dollar store -- soooo quuuute!

Ahem, for me the titans are simply too big and eat up all the shelf real estate. Undersize them to leader or smaller and they work great!

16. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have all of them and dig them fine, but with my recent move and loss of a dedicated toy room I don't have space to display them currently (but I can at least break the combiners out into individual bots for easy shelf display).

I wouldn't kick new Commander Class versions of all of them out of bed though.

17. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have every Titan, I keep mine in robot mode or combined to save on display space. Patiently waiting for the Ark pre-order to ship hopefully by July.

18. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    I personally get the most enjoyment from having them in city/ship/base mode and posing other toys on top/in the titan. That said, there is an appeal to simply "big man standing on the shelf", but that has it's limits and the novelty does eventually wear off. I don't think I'd personally get multiple titans if they were only ever just going to be in robot mode 24/7, if nothing else, I don't have the room.

I think everyone ought to try out at least one titan. Maybe the big dude shelf presence or the potential for diorama-building will light a spark in you. At absolute worst, most titans keep their value (if not increase), so it may not be hard to get rid of one if you dislike it in the end.

19. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    IMHO...

20200911_004500.jpg
    [​IMG]
    20200101_231627.jpg
    20210108_143343.jpg
    20210428_011119.jpg
    20210424_213050.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    20201205_211950.jpg

YES. :cool:  :thumb :thumbs2: 

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  20. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

I got my Trypticon when he was on sale for 50 bucks, so, I feel my opinions are a bit skewed, haha. He is fun for what I paid, but I don't think I would have leapt at many of the Titans otherwise, personally. While I am getting a bit more willing to buy bigger things than I used to in years, I don't hold a lot of importance to a lot of them and the G1 designs don't really do a ton for me. Trypticon, at $50, was just too good to pass up, and he has served well and will continue to until the Planet X Trypticon is mine, haha.