Are the marvel comics good?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by decepticon seeker, Feb 25, 2020.

1. decepticon seeker

decepticon seeker Sixshot

Should I read the marvel uk comics?
    If anyone here has please tell me if they are good.

2. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    The Marvel UK comics are really good. I would strongly recommend checking them out.

• Like Like x 5
  3. ScientistSkids

ScientistSkids Well-Known Member

In my opinion, Marvel UK stands as the best the fiction has produced. The art is very inconsistent, but the story and writing is great. It's got excellent hard Sci-Fi elements like time travel and alternate dimensions - something the American franchise didn't do a ton with until Beast Wars.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

They have their moments. I think there's a lot of rose-tinted nostalgia for them in these forums - I found when I went back to them as an adult there was a lot of meandering and filler, and not a lot of stand-out characters. But some of the arcs and self-contained stories are suitably tense and/or enjoyable.

• Like Like x 3
  5. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    They are definitely products of their era. It's probably going to depend on your tolerance for older comics. Any of the Furman / Geoff Senior stuff is worth checking out, if only for the sheer chunky, kinetic action.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

Target 2006 - Fallen Angel - Space Pirates - Time Wars is a multi part epic that's worth checking out. Dinobot hunt is pretty good. The rest I would say is probably comparable to the US stuff.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Large

Large Currently blablabla

News Credits:
    Earthforce is the way.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 13
  8. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    im up to dinobot hunt and ive been enjoying them

• Like Like x 3
  9. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde born-again First Churcher

News Credits:
    Absolutely, they aren't REQUIRED to enjoy the US Marvel run, but it adds a lot more to the overall experience.

You'd be missing out on some great stuff if you skipped over it.

• Like Like x 3
  10. King Diamocon

King Diamocon Well-Known Member

The Marvel comics are pretty good. It drags in issues 40ish to 55 outside of the Underbase saga in 47-50. Around 56 is when Furman takes over and that run is awesome.

And it goes without saying that the Marvel UK series is great. It is inconsistent as others have said but Target 2006 through Time Wars is really spectacular stuff that's still fun and dynamic to read today.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  11. edicius

edicius I need a drink.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I admit that I haven't read much of the Marvel UK run, but the Marvel US run still remains one of my favorite in comics. I introduced my 8 year old son to it via the Titan Books collections last year and he's been absolutely hooked. He's somewhere around issue 60 at this point and I can't wait until he gets to issue 75. It makes me giddy that he appreciates them like I do.

• Like Like x 3
  12. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really love the Marvel series. To me it is the most consistently good TF fiction outside of Beast Wars. Doesn't have the same highs as the best IDW material, but also doesn't have the same lows. When you run into a bad story, it at least comes off goofy and charming like a dumber episode of the G1 cartoon.

If you can, I recommend reading the whole US-UK series in sequence, but since there's only one collected edition that actually prints those stories in sequence, and its kinda a clusterfuck and only sold in the UK, I can understand why that would be too much of a hassle. If you like old-timey comics hijinks, you'll probably find a lot to enjoy in the early US material by Bob Budiansky. Even so, the return to Cybertron two-parter (US #17 and #18) is excellent and holds up really well. Once Furman takes over the US title, you get to what is in my opinion the longest unbroken run of good TF comics in the history of the franchise.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

Is G2 collected anywhere?

14. jignat

jignat Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  15. darktoylord

darktoylord Optimus Shot First

i want to hop into TF comics.. was there a particular run that STOOD OUT from the rest? i HATE wasting time on 'average' comics...

16. moonDUST

moonDUST Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Like others said they really are a product of their time. Personally I don't think the early transformers comics aged very well. Furmans early stuff is decent, but Budianski's stuff isn't that special. I think around Matrix Quest they got better and stopped being just a 'toy property comic' . Some of those late g1 stories still hold up today.

17. darktoylord

darktoylord Optimus Shot First

thnx

• Like Like x 1
  18. moonDUST

moonDUST Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Start with primal scream, that's the pre matrix quest story arc.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rojixus

Rojixus Celebrating 40 Years of Transformers!

FWIW I hated the Budiansky run, the cartoon blows that crap out of the water as far as I'm concerned. Furman's run was good though, especially once it got to the Unicron arc. Marvel UK is more consistently good, in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Liege Nemesis

Liege Nemesis Snarks about old cartoons

I figure this is the best place to ask without having to make a new thread:

What's the easiest, cheapest, least-impacted-by-rights-and-licensing-issues way to read the Marvel UK stuff now?

I bought the Titan Books reprints of the US series and G2, but at that time had no interest in reading the UK material. Looking back, this was a stupid decision and I'd love to get into that side of things but I have no idea what's out there for TPB collections that are widely available now at reasonable prices (like I don't want to be paying $50+ apiece on the secondary market for the Titan UK collections when their original MSRP was like 1/2 that) and if there are options without headaches like how later non-Titan US reprints have to dodge certain elements like mentions or inclusions of characters that Marvel owns that are not tied to the Transformers brand (like those early appearances of Spider-Man).