Are the Decepticon Forces Brainwashed?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by MaxLinden, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    as many others have pointed out the cons are the basically made up of every cybertronian with an axe to grind against their government be they the criminals, revolutionary's or just assholes

Saying this I think their was a fair bit of brain washing in the classic sci-fi meaning of reprogramming them and not in a crazy clock work orange kinda way (tho... that would be a cool story)

2. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Obviously SOME robots likes Megatron's idea and joines in free will, Soundwave, the Seekers. But maybe there weren't enough robots in the army and Megatron brainwashed them. And, Prime couldn't save them, in the show it says tey couldn't undo the effects of the Robo Smasher.

3. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    Someone mentioned the Exodus book, I finished reading it the other night, and I liked how they armies backstory was explained.

Pretty much, the core 1984 cast were Megatron's high ranking officers/came from his pit fighting days, they were untouched and not expendable.

Now the rest of the Con army, as they got lower to the bottom of pole, Megatron didn't care for them, so he would cut them off from supplies (IE: Dark Energon) and let them die.

I would say that yes, a part of the army was probably brain washer, his core unit was not however, another part was terrified of Megs so they joined so he wouldn't kill them and then there are the assholes like others have mentioned.

If you haven't done so already, pick up Exodus and read it, sure it doesn't mesh well into WFC but it doesn't a pretty good job of lining up with G1, and it's a pretty good read, I enjoyed the hell out of it.

4. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

As much as it splits the fandom, AHM did directly broach this issue - that a lot of the Decepticon forces are just the worst kinds of Transformers. It states that Megatron deliberately sought out not just the dissatisfied and revolutionary, but also the opportunists, schemers, criminals, and just utter monsters and the frankly insane in order to have a force capable of winning, with him having to worry about what to do with this organization of psychos afterwards.

- Coeloptera

5. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    The brainwasher thing is irrevertible.

6. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    That is so true. It should be quoted everytime someone points out all the continuity errors.

When watching G1, this is one thing you have to keep in mind additionally to the suspension of misbelief :) 

7. Mathius Maximus

Mathius Maximus Well-Known Member

If you're talking robo-smasher, you're talking G1 'toon continuity, so given that, it's perfectly reasonable to believe it's HIGHLY probably that Starscream and perhaps all the seekers were brainwashed.

Consider that from the Skyfire origin episodes we know Starscream was formerly a peaceful scientist, something along the lines of Wheeljack and also that he is the decepticon who constantly tries to turn traitor and claim leadership. It makes perfect sense that he would have formerly been incompatible for the nasty edge it takes to be a Decepticon, especially if you think of all the things Skyfire questioned about him in "Fire in the Sky".

I'm actually surprised as I don't remember any episodes where there were Decepticons who were borderline nice as though they were on the fence so to speak about Megatron. Maybe Six Shot in the Japanese series, or Octane might be classified this way, but I don't remember any episodes where they really delved into it. Maybe in the toy bio's or the comic. I never read all the UK comics or the stuff after Marvel.

Mathius

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Getting every thing to mess together is highly over rated. If something is a good Transformers story that should matter more than if it messes up with something else.