Are the days of traditional repaints/retools over?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Starfire22, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    In the past we have gotten figure retools and repaints traditionally. And by that i mean we have gotten common sense moulds with a common sense retool, or repaint. To expand upon that, the repaints have come out last, while the retools have been pretty straightforward. (Only exception being Sandstorm in the old Generations era)

But nowadays i have noticed that there are very few repaints (only talking TR so far), and the retools are very complex. With otherwise new moulds sharing parts with older figures. (Broadside, Triggerhappy, and Chromedome are big examples)

For repaints, they more or less are the same. Except the out of the blue figure repaints are first, and the more expected figures are last. (Think Dreadwing/Skyquake)

So, the title states all. Have traditional practices of common sense retools and repaints gone by the wayside? Or is it just a line wide thing?

2. artiepants

artiepants Misses readable TF comics

News Credits:
    No.
    Sentinal Prime--> Astrotrain
    Megatron --> Blitzwing
    Optimus Prime --> Octane
    Bumblebee --> Chase
    All (are presumably) following the more classic historical pattern of repaints with new heads.

3. Starfire22

News Credits:
    Megs into Blitzwing and Optimus into Octane is not traditional though. In the past the repaints would've been released first. Not the other way around.

The other two are correct though.

4. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I think, perhaps, they're playing it a bit smarter now. Like, they release the repaint first because we just gotta have the new mold. Then they release who the mold was designed for because we got to have the popular character we love. Then they release a heavy-enough retool we think it's a new mold and of course we just gotta have that. Then they release straight repaints in boxsets of characters we believe they can't make for some reason so there go our wallets again.

5. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    What figure released first doesn't make it now what it is. Astrotrain may have ben designed mainly in mind but Sentinel is still just a repaint, out of order.
    Yep.

6. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    When I think traditional repaints, I think about Transformers Cybertron figures without any retooling repainted in G1 colors and put into Transformers Universe and Transformers live action movie packaging to be sold at Walmart. In that respect, those traditions are over.

As far as today's repaints/retools, I think it's the same thing that's been going on throughout Generations, but the designers have become a lot better about hiding it when some toys like Scourge and Highbrow share parts but still come out looking like two completely different toys.

7. artiepants

News Credits:
    oh, gotcha, i didn't quite follow that was what you meant.

8. artiepants

News Credits:
    Also, hasn't the RiD'15 line (i don't really follow it/have any interest in it) had tons of what you'd consider the "traditional" repaints?

9. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I would argue that "traditional" repaints would be when they redeco a toy to sell as a brand new character, ala the original G1 seekers and Autobot 280-Z cars. I don't think that's been very common in a main line since G2, although we saw it some in the movie lines, Cybertron, and Beast Wars. Ironically, I don't think the CHUG lines have ever had this until recently, when we started getting brand new characters in Combiner Wars. Apart from these, most of the CHUG molds have been designed with multiple uses in mind from the beginning. When we get Wheeljack and Tracks out of the same mold, neither one is really a repaint, since the mold was designed for both. Even when a mold isn't meant to be retooled, it's often made with the knowledge that it can be reused (see: every new Starscream/seeker mold that will ever be made).

But I don't think we've seen the end of traditional repaints. They've been the exception rather than the rule since late G1, but they'll continue to pop back up occasionally, whenever demand for product outstrips the ability to make new molds (or whenever a successor to Botcon manifests)

10. artiepants

News Credits:
    They did do it quite a bit in the UT ~ the repaints were about 50/50 new characters (Cybertron Hot Shot/Cybertron Excellion) -vs- powered up versions of themselves. (Armada Powerlinx Hotshot and Energon Energon Hotshot, who apparently works at the department of redundancy in the redundancy department.)

and unlike the 84 seekers, TECHNICALLY every G1 280 Z was a remold ~ Prowl adds the lightbar, and Smokescreen adds the ground effects on the front and small spoiler on the back...
    I think the other big difference, is that since Universe 2.0 (i think) they've made a concerted effort to always build in a 2nd head tooling to their designs so they could be reused as other characters down the road and avoid always doing the 'straight repaints', i know there have been quite a few heads revealed via instructions (Hardhead on the Deluxe Warpath mold) that never even made it to retail for a variety of reasons.

11. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Why does it matter if the repaint or retool or remold is released before the original?

12. artiepants

News Credits:
    mostly it's interesting topic of conversation in that it gives a glimpse into Hasbro's marketing strategy ~ oh, if we release XXXX repaint before YYYYYY intended character, will they but it just because it's a new shiny, whereas if XXXXX came after YYYYY, would we be less likely since we already had the intended use (ala TR Megatron, who i'm not getting because i have a better voyager and leader, but certainly will be getting Blitzwing because i have a worse voyager)

13. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Yeah, its just interesting to speculate and talk about. Kinda like how we all notice that Takara is very focused on decos that emulate the cartoon appearance and Hasbro either emulates previous toy decos or just does their own thing.

Its really obvious that Hasbro had a goal of reusing these new triple-changer molds at least once and it made sense to release them the way they did. I think what is more interesting to figure out is if these molds get used a third time, what character will they be? Some folks have thrown ideas but there's nothing that clearly sticks in my head.

I also think its interesting to see how people view Alpha Trion and Broadside. From what we can tell so far, Broadside is a mostly new mold. So, you could argue that AT's mold hasn't actually been reused. Maybe we'll get a Leo Convoy out of it?

14. artiepants

News Credits:
    their seems to be one possible open voyager slots ~ the 2 prior lines have done 9 and we have 10 basically confirmed, with the implication from Mr. Chaos's computer listing leak this weekend indicating Broadside will ship solo in wave 4 (with Megatron or Optimus carrying forward, I'd guess Megatron since Prime is getting release in 2 other size classes and this mold is rumored to be recycled in the Speed Set.) and Blitzwing and Octane being Wave 5.

So you have wave 6 for Armada Tidalwave, and then either another redeco or Blitzwing or Octane gets carried forward (Blitzwing seeming more likely/popular, but then if Megatron is carried forward in wave 4 you have that mold in4 consecutive waves.)

So, it's hard to say, but with that mold being so unique, and so uniquely un-Alpha Trion-esque, and basically EVERY repaint in the TR voyagers being released ahead of their intended use, it does seem like he should get a 2nd shot, and Lio Convoy/Prime makes sense as we'll have 3 'cons over 2 waves. (or vector Prime)

15. Starfire22

News Credits:
    It's fine. :) 

Yes, but i am mainly focusing on TR for now.

16. Starfire22

News Credits:
    I know it's a stretch, but MAYBE AT could be retooled into Big Convoy?

17. artiepants

News Credits:
    Your avatar made me remember that i strongly suspect Pounce will be a minimally-altered Wierdwolf repaint...

18. artiepants

News Credits:
    huh, the mold does have the Big Convoy head crest built into those vertical shoulder pillars and the animal heads in the proper position, but it seems like Lio Convoy's more obvious/less work (and it seems that FOR THE MOST PART the Voyagers are receiving minimal retooling)

I'd love to know what the thinking was in giving Alpha Trion the unicorn horn though???

19. Starfire22

News Credits:
    Wouldn't be surprised if Pounce got a slight retool at the very least.

20. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I know we're now veering way off-topic but I wonder if they do Leo Convoy if they will continue to give it the Leo Prime name. And if they do, I wonder if it will be another "lost" Prime like Sentinel.