Are the days of collecting over?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by 0ursisthefury, Feb 18, 2020.

?

What do you do when you have all the figures you want?

1. Stop making purchases and rest

83 vote(s)
    78.3%
  2. Find a new hobby and begin collecting all over again

23 vote(s)
    21.7%
  1. 0ursisthefury

0ursisthefury Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I started collecting a few years ago and pretty much have all the major transformers character I wanted ( still waiting for FT Blitzkrieg and someone to make Blaster, also hoist and trail breaker. Anyway, since these have not really come out, have you guys lost your passion for this hobby? I for one have, I don't visit this site as often and don't check up on daimchoc or sixo. So it's caused me to wonder....

There's this new toy line (new to me anyway) called Joy Toy Dark Source, they kind of remind me of Titanfall mechs and also Eco-Squad (old cartoon I watched) But I'm worried about going into a new line and collecting all over again lol. How do you all deal with having a collection that is nearly complete?

2. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    Stare at it and think about the thousands you spent on it.

Got something on your bucketlist that, you never followed through with? It's because you spent money on Transformers.

• Like Like x 9
  3. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you personally are at a crossroads let that be what it is. I don't see a point to this poll as most of us are likely fine with continuing to collect well into the future. I know I am.

• Like Like x 10
  4. 0ursisthefury

0ursisthefury Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not that I'm at a crossroads, but there are not as much figures being released as there were maybe 3 years ago. I haven't heard from bad cube or make toys in awhile. Figures aren't releasing like they used to.

5. Tanafor

Tanafor Autobots at work

News Credits:
    When I don't feel like buying more TF, I just play with them. For me, Transformers is not about the characters. It's about superb toys with beautiful robot designs and amazing, fun engineering.

Then again, I'm more into TF when they really try to change the game and create something new. I miss Animated times, the toys were so awesome it was thrilling to wait for new reveals. Now it's G1, more G1, 3P G1, Bayverse and poor mainline (Cyberverse) toys. So I play with my toys while I wait for more interesting toys.

• Like Like x 9
  6. mouschi

mouschi Well-Known Member

I think every hobby community has that question come up. Same goes for sports cards! As a new guy into the transformer world, I think I can safely say there are enough intriguing pieces out there to attract people into the hobby.

That said, I'm not interested in filling my house with them ... heck ... if you have 5 larger pieces, that can seem like a large amount! I don't see myself going after tons of stuff, but then again, it is a VERY slippery slope. I have 3 different constructors on the way (never thought I'd get more than 1 ... which would have been my jinbao os!) and a custom paint job on another one on order. These toys are much too cool to just walk away from :) 

• Like Like x 1
  7. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wish I was done but delays and changing roadmaps have pushed further out the last few 3P MPs I need.

I already have other non-TF collections and I do not plan to start any more, though that could certainly change.

8. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Once I'm done with my collection, I plan on putting money into other things. Nicer displays and maybe some scenery and effects and such for my figures. Better 3d printing equipment. Replace some of our older furniture. Stuff like that. I'll never be done buying toys but I'll no longer feel the compulsion to spend $300+ a month on them.

• Like Like x 6
  9. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    Omg the days of collecting might subjectively be over?
    Run!

10. The Smirker

The Smirker I Hate Sam Darnold

The bubble has burst.

11. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    will be a good few years before i'm done with transformers collecting

the only thing i will never be done with collecting is records you can never have too much vinyl :D 

• Like Like x 2
  12. TheGame2K5

TheGame2K5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, I collect many different lines and not just MPs so Ill never be "complete" with a collection.

13. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

I am about done with the Transformers toys thing.
    In 2018 I got one - MP Blackarachnia. I feel like there will still be things to get every now and then. But, it's all pretty much done. This has been going on since 2003 and Masterpiece MP-1 and Binaltech BT-01. That's a long time. It's been fun.

And that's nice, really. I still have other hobbies, no need to start up some new collection though. I'm leaning into the bicycles more. I'd suggest you put you time and effort into something genuinely different.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Deceptimatrix

Deceptimatrix Warrior Elite

I pretty much only collect G1 MP and IDW now. Given that the releases from those 2 categories has pretty much slowed over the past year or so I find myself incredibly bored with the hobby. Hopefully I can finish the core cast members of seasons 1-4 for MP, but I'm at a pointwhere I'm feeling pretty meh about collecting right now...

20200112_104756.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  15. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

My want list is thin. My available and projected display space is tight. I like my collection room to look like a curated area, not a hoard. With Takara shitting the bed and the 3p G1 field narrowing on its own

B81F203E-E8EA-42DB-BF42-D8CD3085641D.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  16. XIII

XIII TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd "like" to say, "stop making purchases and rest". But the reality of it is that I'd , "find a new hobby and start collecting again".

In fact, I already have. I don't collect the mainstream lines anymore and haven't for some time. Just MP or MP comparrible. TR Trypticon is the only main line I've bought in the last 5 years and that is because it looks like a modern version of the original, scales well with MT Utopia and aside from some unnecessary gimmicks and exposed hollowness, looks pretty MP to me. Earthrise looks pretty decent and look like great "toys" to "play" with but just doesn't meet the standard I am looking for in a "collectable" for "display". The official MP line has moved in a direction I don't like (I dare say hate. Aesthetically as well as quality) and the 3rd party MP line has slowed down to a trickle as far as pre headmaster characters (headmasters is where I have my cut off. Just don't care). I am still hoping to fill in some gaps and considering a few replacements but, for the most part, I think collecting modern TF's is almost complete for me. Or as complete as it will get. There are some characters that I want as MP that no one will ever do (Jumpstarters, Omnibots...). I have started collecting vintage series 1-2 (diacolne era) TF's to curate a side by side, museum style display with my modern MP's. But that is slowing down too. Mostly due to lack of availability of decent condition vintage figures. I even got a massive full wall (10' wide, 6.5' tall, 2' deep) Moducase cabinet. All sealed, LED illuminated and UV protected. Kinda signaling "the end" to compartmentalize things like that and define a set space.

Maybe I'd get excited about TF's again, especially official MP, if they went back to the "scale model", Hasui era aesthetic. But I don't see that happening... :(  As far as official MP, after over 15 years of it, I'm almost guaranteed done. Not by choice. The line just changed.

For the last year or so, I have been FAR more excited for the TT's Diaclone reboot line and Mondo's 1/6 scale MOTU line (even though that line is ridiculously small and am not sure there will be any more releases. I don't care for the filmation designs. They just look goofy and too simplified) as well as getting back into Universal Century era Gundam. If you can't tell, I much prefer a "realistic" or "scale model" aesthetic to my collectables.

People with the mentality to collect will always find something to collect.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  17. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As far as 3P, i only get g1 MP scale season 1-3. Apart from a few characters I have all i want between 3P and official. After that i wont collect any more 3P items.

18. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

Sh figuarts level gi joe is the only thing that would tempt me for a new collection line

19. Red2

Red2 " ... and so the story goes ... "

I'm close to done. Debating if I even want Bruticus or Menasor. Kinda not feeling Menasor.

But, there will always be cool robots to buy, but the scramble to complete the collection will be over and a relief. Love looking at the group in the case.

Have since purchased a used R/C buggy. Now to resist having 10 of those.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't vote. For me as long as they keep making cool figures I won't have all the figures I want. I won't stop, and I don't see myself moving on to something else either. For other figures as an example I'm big on "if it doesn't transform what is the point?" so I don't expect to have interest in other lines to start.

• Like Like x 3