Are the CHUG re-remakes really better?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by PikaManiac, Feb 10, 2017.

1. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

I don't have any set rule. It all comes down to personal preference for me. For Brainstorm and Galvatron, I like the new TR versions better. For Hotrod and Astrotrain, I like the Classics versions better. For Ratchet and Ironhide, I like the 2005 Botcon versions better.

• Like Like x 1
  2. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

To me, most generations figures beats the newer version. CW/UW definitely wins for G1 established combiners, but creating brand new figures to replace original limbs is just silly. I'm looking at Off-road, Rook, Alpha Bravo and Takeoff (I don't give a shit about CW "Blast Off" so don't go crying to me "oh, he's BlastOff!" Jets fucking take off, not blast off. And I bet most people don't call Slingshot and Wildrider their CW name.) They are not bad toys, in fact done quite well for the combiner purposes.

Hands down, CW datsuns beat the CHUG. But generations Kup, Bee, Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, Trailbreaker and Scourge beat their newer selves. The quality is better and to make them headmaster or combiners takes away what they were. Hell, the transformations are not bad and took a little time to master for something that makes something so nice. My three year old son can transform some TR figures from alt mode to robot mode. The weapons from older CHUGs are mostly better than the goofy guns from the newer lines.

The generations Brainstorm is superior to the new version, but TR did make it nice and it does scale to it's TR brothers. The Takara Blurr is really nice for a headmaster and has the G1 alt mode. However, the generations version is cleverly armed to the teeth and is more rewarding to transform.

3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Is there at topic that is more entirely subject to each individuals opinions? :cool: 

I'm glad we have options would be my bottom line, so that we can all have the collection we want.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I've handled the new Kup. It's LEAGUES better than the Generations figure.
    Blurr is just a matter of taste in my view
    The original Perceptor is garbage, plain and simple. Although, with a little help it's a smaller container of garbage.

• Like Like x 3
  5. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    What a lot of rubbish. Kup is a pickup truck from 2005, 12 years ago! Futuristic my ass.

;) 

• Like Like x 10
  6. anindrew

anindrew Writing a #vss365 superhero(?) novel on Twitter

When I compare older CHUG figures with the new TR versions, what I notice is that the newer ones have less articulation and more hollowness. TR Kup certainly has a more G1 styled body and alt mode, which is great. However, the older one is larger, has more color/paint details, more articulation (including ankle tilts and wrist swivels), and incorporates the rifle under the truck so that it becomes a tailpipe. I realize Generations Kup came out several years ago, but it seems very odd to me that the new one lacks some of the basic things its predecessor had. I feel the same way about TR Scourge vs Generations Scourge. I do plan to pick up TR Perceptor, but it doesn't strike me as being as nicely detailed nor articulated as the RTS. I do like that it turns into a microscope and has a more G1 body.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Sorrow Six Star

Sorrow Six Star 3 2 1 Countach!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Exact reason I love him. But I'm a big MTMTE fan.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    Well then it works out for you then! But I'm a big MTMTE nay-sayer, so I prefer the TR Brainstorm.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Well, same story as TR Kup.
    Alt mode looks like Kup, bot mode doesn't.

And to me it's more important to look like the character in bot mode. CHUG wins again.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  10. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    CW Cyclonus isn't much more than a purple Silverbolt, and much to big to stand next to either of the Scourges.

Classics Cyclonus is still nice; not a bad sculpt, has his Targetmaster and his head isn't compromised with any HM gimmick.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    Imagine what pickup trucks will look like in 2015! Will they even have wheels or will they just hover/fly? Robot chauffeurs? Lasers?!?

• Like Like x 4
  12. geezerman402

geezerman402 Well-Known Member

Eh, Generations Kup looks like IDW Kup, sure. But TR looks more like Marvel comics Kup, which is what I grew up with, so he wins for me.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Sorrow Six Star

Sorrow Six Star 3 2 1 Countach!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    your loss. Hahaha

I did give TR brainstorm a chance. But I couldn't not see the Blurr in him. And the non sealing canopy on a space ship bugged the hell out of me.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    It can seal, just flip the "headrest" forward a tad and you can get a much more compressed cockpit. I don't really have a problem not seeing Blurr in him, he much more of an extensive retool than say, CW Ironhide was.

And no, I lost nothing. :lol 

15. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Watcha talking about Willis?
    CW Cyclonus aint got no HM gimmick.

16. johnchow604

johnchow604 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like Henkei Ironhide more than the CW one. Same goes for Hound, and Sunstreaker.

17. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ahahah, I'm sorry I really am. But I CANNOT fathom how anyone can think that CW/UW Cyclonus is nicer than the Universe Cyclonus. I assume the 'new shiny' or size is a factor in this because I cannot see it at all. Look at this.

[​IMG]

I mean, CW Cyclonus is basically reminiscient of Cyclonus, but he's basically carrying the space jet around on his back. Conversely his space jet basically carrys a robot around on the underside! The gun is painfully clear that it's a Silverbolt/Superion gun repaint! He still has Silverbolts moulded shoulder wings! And also, he carrys around Galvatrons head around in his chest, which while that's not a 'bad' thing, is probably the 'Headmaster' gimmick people are referring to in relation to this mould (Actually I think Bellpeppers is just saying crippled by HEadmaster Gimmick in relation to all the TR line, not specifically Cyclonus).

[​IMG]

As opposed to Universe Cyclonus.

[​IMG]

Now don't get me wrong, he's NOT perfect. His alt mode is gappy. He's missing the head crest thing between his horns. In comparison to other figures he may be too small (but not against other Deluxes, obviously). But that is patently Cyclonus, as opposed to a Silverbolt repaint. His gun is Nightstick, an ACTUAL TARGETMASTER. His robot mode looks insanely good, and aside from various colour options (want toy? Universe. Want toon? RTS) and there's even 3P parts for him to become a pretty darn decent IDW MTMTE Cyclonus (assuming you have the RTS guy).

Not all remakes are better. Some are, sure. But like in this case, not all. I guess this is some kind of indication of the size and diversity of our fandom, and thus how we can all appreciate and respect all our subjective likes and dislikes.

Oh wait, that's not right.

RAGE.

• Like Like x 6
  18. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Thank you very much *slow clap*

19. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Some are better...some are worse. Depends on your preference. I'm one of the few that actually prefers CW Sunstreaker over the Universe 2.0 version because I prefer the proportions and the fact that the alt mode is closer to the G1 Lambo.

Very few, however, have REPLACED the originals on the shelf. Since I have mine set up by "season", characters can appear on multiple shelves.

20. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    FINALLY, someone else giving credit to the botcon vans!

• Like Like x 1