Are the CHUG re-remakes really better?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by PikaManiac, Feb 10, 2017.

1. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

Are the CHUG re-remakes really better?

Most of the Combiner Wars/Unite Warrior Autobots are remoulds, and I just cannot detach them from the character the moulds were meant to be. Combiner Wars/Unite Warriors Prowl, Hound, Ratchet, Trailerbreaker, and Wheeljack(Only because TakaraTOMY gave Trailbreaker and Wheeljack great paint jobs) are very nice; especially the Unite Warrior versions, but they just do not feel as personalised as their previous versions.

I look at Generations/United Blurr and I keep feeling that overall the Generations/United Blurr is a better toy, but the Titans Return/Legends version is a better representative of the character.

Frenzy and Rumble; isn't the United tank mode better?

People seriously think Titans Return Kup is better than the Generations version? The only disadvantage of the Generations version is probably the grumpy face. But maybe the potential TakaraTOMY version will have a paint job that changes my opinion.

But yeah, the new Jetfire, Megatron, Astrotrain, and Hot Rodimus are indeed better.

2. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

Many are, some aren't, it's all subjective. Two that come to my mind as being worse than the originals are Sky-Byte and RID Scourge.

Sky-Byte(s)
    The original Sky Byte may have been a shell-former, but his detailing and paint applications knock the Botcon and Generations updates out of the park, though I would say the Takara version could give it some competition. The Generations update doesn't look bad, it just seems unnecessary.

RID Scourge/OTFCC RID Scourge
    First off, you can get the original RID Scourge for very close to the same price as the "update", and the original comes with a trailer that turns into a base, and two other guns. The update has it beat in articulation, but I'm just not a fan of the headsculpt or the tiny sword.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    A different mold makes my wallet unfold, man.

If one sticks to a one-mold (best mold) per character then yeah, some of the old CHUG figures can be better. Usually they're just different though. The Frenzy/Rumble United tanks are fun but flawed (hard to balance, alt mode is a bit of a mess and doesn't tab well), but I find them more interesting than the CW/TR ones... though the TR ones can go in Soundwave...

I just buy and keep em all as best I can.

• Like Like x 3
  4. geezerman402

geezerman402 Well-Known Member

But to me, a Kup that turns into a pick up truck is only doing 50% of the job: the robot mode. To 100% be Kup, it needs to be a futuristic pick up truck.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    This, while I do consider the redoes better I still like each version for different reasons and do not limit myself to one mold per character and as such I'll display Universe 2008 Prowl and Combiner Wars Prowl together on my CHUG shelf. One is more fun but the other is more accurate, the best of both worlds.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Like others have said some are actually better than the earlier CHUGs. From what I am seeing of TR Kup, the early Generation version looks a whole lot better. Same can be said about Perceptor even though the RTS Perceptor has an updated alt mode.

7. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a hard time believing anything can be worse than RTS Perceptor. Fugly proportions and a complete PITA transformation.

I quite like Generations Kup but admit that his transformation is kinda fiddly. Heck, almost all the figures from that era are. The change from that is what I like about the new toys. They are simple but fun to transform.

• Like Like x 3
  8. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, and TR Astrotrain is such a massive disappointment. Makes me a sad panda.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rockdown

Rockdown Dream Commander

Ebay:
    Dear me, RTS Perceptor is so bad that I would rather have KFC's busted version represent the character. The TR version, which I have, is light years ahead of the RTS version.

TR Kup does not look impressive in photos but in hand it is a thing of beauty. Sleek and kibble free, it is better than generations Kup.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hound89

Hound89 Well-Known Member

mugan scope is flawed but an amazing figure regardless

As for kup i cant get past how hollow it looks, gnerstionsnkup just looks and feels more complete.

But i maybe biased as he was one of my first figures when i started colecting

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    lol no.

Nearly all those CW autobot repaints (and Cyclonus) are just worse versions of their older CHUG figures. The only one I can give a pass to is Trailbreaker for at least having a more G1 cartoon inspired look as an option over IDW.

Some of TR is worse too, but not nearly as bad as CW. Size aside, Astrotrain is worse. Kup is also worse. Rodimus is a parallel move. Blurr, and (maybe) Scourge are improvements though, as long as we're using the Takara versions that actually have paint as the reference there. Galvatron and (maybe?) Perceptor are also improvements.

I too also prefer the United Frumble molds because they have the neat piledriver gimmick, and TR Ravage is a mess compared to the one that came with the deluxe Hound.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  12. Hound89

Hound89 Well-Known Member

Tr rodmius is miles above classics rodimus which was a poor figure at the time of its release

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To me TR Rodimus does some things better and other things worse. I don't like the proportions at all.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Soma

Soma Well-Known Member

I think it's a "to each their own" sort of situation. Some people have lots of money to spend and grab literally every new toy or don't have older collections where these characters could be a second or even third version. Personally, my CHUG stuff has been going since Classics, so I'm at the point where I'm happy to only buy what are to me clear upgrades or unrepresented characters. It's also doing wonders to help my budgeting, though these uneven case-packs lately make it a chore to sort out individual "missing" bots for my collection.

• Like Like x 1
  15. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    I have to agree that its up to the individual. Personally, I think Generations Kup looks better than TR Kup. Also helps having the 3P head with Cy-Gar upgrade to give the mold some personality. On the flipside, I think TR Brainstorm, Astrotrain, Blurr, Perceptor, and yes Legends TR Bumblebee are better.

16. motorthing

motorthing Too old for this $hit

News Credits:
    image.jpeg It depends, not many of the Classics were actually that great first time around - they were products of their time and not that difficult to better. Of the first few years worth only Mirage, RTS Jazz and Cyclonus survive on display.

Sunstreaker and Sideswipe haven't been bettered for sure.

But Overall I prefer the CW/TR versions of stuff that's happened before. I never liked Generations Blurr or Kup as anything other than Cast-fillers that looked OK in a line up on my shelves, the newer versions are way better to mess around and Y'know, actually enjoy as toys. And Classics Hot Rod is a mold that needed to die a long time ago.

Generations Prowl with his weird turtle-neck and hollow shins is practically toxic-waste now with whatever the hell happened to that paint so anything that means He is no longer necessary is welcome.

But that's just me, and I'm aware that won't chime with the "Everything Only Ever Gets Worse" mentality keeping some warm and fizzy currently. I just love doing fun wrong it seems.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I still wonder at people who think the Universe versiin is the better cyclonus.
    Never mind its to small, to slender and has an idiotic facesculpt. The shoulder transformation is a huge pass and the altmode is a gappy mess.
    The CW and UW toys are much better representations of the character.

As for Blurr, Kup, Perceptor and the like: forget about it.
    Those generations versions may be good representations of the IDW characters (who where drawn with the toy in mind and not the other way around) but the new versions are far better representations of the characters in both modes.

• Like Like x 2
  18. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

It's all subjective. Some will think Classics Optimus can't be topped, and some of us are satisfied with Combiner Wars Optimus. Personally, I've never owned the Classics/Universe/Generations previous versions or re-makes of characters I already have... except for one sort-of exception. I used to have Universe Silverstreak, which is the same mold of course as Prowl, and I own the Combiner Wars Prowl. While the Universe figure does look a bit more like Prowl from G1, I prefer the Combiner Wars Prowl because of that frustrating door transformation. I ended up trading him for my sister's Strongarm.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Diecast G2

Diecast G2 Transtectorless

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say the altmode is a gappy mess, but the main reason I prefer it is the fact that he is smaller. I'd rather him and TR Scourge be about the same size and dwarfed by TR Galvatron than Galvatron and Scourge dwarf Scourge.

Galvatron can be any size that he wants!

But dang does CW Cyclonus look good.

20. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Yes that is true. I've been thinking lately how voyagers are way to tall compared to recent deluxes.
    And can still appreciate universe Cyclonus. He is a fun toy, i just think the cw version is a better likeness.

• Like Like x 2