Are Takara Masterpieces cheaper in Tokyo or Japan vs rest of world?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by dljbae, Sep 16, 2016.

1. dljbae

dljbae Well-Known Member

So like the topic says, are Takara Masterpieces cheaper in Tokyo, Japan, Hong Kong or in Asia vs the rest of the world? Or does the US have the cheapest prices?

For example, LEGO I hear is cheapest in the United States even though it's made else where in the world and sold worldwide. The law of one price does not apply for LEGO.

Just wondering if this is the same for Takara Masterpieces. Just wondering if the people really pay $200 USD (including taxes) equivalent for a masterpiece or those crazy after market prices in JPN.

2. heltskelt

heltskelt Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    When I purchase a Takara MP using HLJ (as an example), I am paying Japanese prices. What drives it up is the exchange rate (depending on the market) and the shipping. If I buy from BBTS, they already factored that in as well as their profit, so I pay more than if I bought it from an Asian retailer. Paying higher is also subjective, since spending $60 (as an example) may be something most North Americans could afford, but that may not be the case for most people is South and Central America, for example. Living standards may make what some can afford seem like outrageous luxury to others.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Actually they're often cheaper outside of Japan. Stores like HLJ and Amiami offer their products at a pretty significant discount.

4. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I find prices in HK retail to be significantly cheaper than online prices in the UK. For instance I could find MP's in Hong Kong for £30-£35 (ish) whereas at UK online it'd be £45-50 or so. 3P is massively lower, I picked up an Azalea for £21, pretty much half the price of the going UK rate.

(Also, unless you know the prices in Japanese retail, I wouldn't assume that HLJ matches it. I was always under the impression they sold stuff at a little bit of a markup?)

5. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its a yes an no. If you can order online through Yahoo JP or even Amazon JP for fairly new releases yes. Retail a lot of things are the list price HLJ and others give when they are first released. UW Bruticus was $160 at TRU and $140 I think at AMIAMI's store, Online I got him for $93 at Amazon. I got my Delta Magnus for 128 right before I left which was about the best preorder price i saw from Japananes online vendors while I was there. I saw Hot Rod, Tracks, and Ratchet at TRU and they were about HLJ early bird price but it may have been more to get rid of them. The mall i went to (Sunshine City in Ikebukuro , the Gundam section was clearly defined and sectioned while the much smaller Transformers section was in the corner where stuff is all disorganized like putting it next to the Gundam stuff would help sell it to anyone who walked to far down the Gundam section. The best deals howerver are probably on Yahoo JP which is like their ebay, but unless a seller takes COD you need a japanese credit card or bank card no paypal. Also from what I understood seller's don't have to honor you being the highest bidder. I did see anime export sell a lot of stuff on yahoo while AMIAMI sold stuff on amazon.

6. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

It depends, I live in Central America (Panama) and I have all the MP Takara has released so far. I think it relies more in your personal financial situation rather than where you are located.

Dont let you go with what you see in the media, movies, etc;) 

7. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Most of that is not charging you Japanese sales taxes.

So the question is do you end up paying close to that UK retail price after shipping is included?

8. blackjack32

blackjack32 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    err... HLJ and Amiami are Japanese stores, you know, the Japanese can also order from them. And Amazon Japan is just as cheap as they are for MPs.

They are definitely cheaper in Japan, assuming you can get the pre-order price/ Amazon early bird pricing. The reason why Hasbro Asia has a coin/ special bonus item for MPs outside Japan is so that you would buy their stuff and not import from Japan. In HK they often have diffferent prices for local goods and "parallel import" and the "parallel import" is usually cheaper.

But once it hits retail, like a Kiddyland or TRU in Japan, it won't be cheaper anymore. So if your choice is buying from some TRU or Bic Camera, or BBTS, then it's not clear which would be cheaper.

9. dljbae

dljbae Well-Known Member

So.. in conclusion, if one makes a trip to Japan, load up because even the TRU carries takara masterpieces and its cheaper than buying online?

10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    By HK retail I mean I'm at the retailer in HK, so no shipping... unless you count the flight cost.

11. tekering

tekering The Ref

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Yes, that's true...

...assuming you don't live in Japan. ;) 

12. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you make the trip you order online, hopefully your hotel allows packages. Most of my packages from Amazon JP arrived either same day ( I accidentely ordered MG Sinaju at 4:00 AM and got him by 3PM) or next day. The thing is Transfomers isnt as popular, the crappy disorganized display was the best one Ive seen of new transformers both times I went to Tokyo, maybe other places are different. It just made me realize how lucky we are because its no where as popular as Gundam, or the other lines people collect on these boards but they keep cranking them out.

13. dljbae

dljbae Well-Known Member

Wow, I never knew this wasn't popular in Japan. Is that why Tomy takara mall always has those 2000 piece limits or exclusives?

14. tekering

tekering The Ref

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Transformers, Macross, Evangelion, Patlabor... they all have a large and dedicated fan base in Japan, and there's always new merchandise being produced.

But show the average Japanese child a picture of Alphonse, an EVA, a Valkyrie, or Optimus Prime, and they'll say "It's a Gundam." :redface2: 

Limited exclusives are only sold through a single retailer, so the market is artificially small; the production runs have to be equally small, and thus the price goes up accordingly.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  15. Mikesee

Mikesee Well-Known Member

I have to say that buying Transformers in Hong Kong is really cheap compared to shopping online. Ever since I found a few retailers I hardly shop online anymore for Transformers; unless I try to hunt down a KO version of a Masterpiece (Skywarp) on Taobao and that is even cheaper at times.

16. heltskelt

heltskelt Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I don't. You being able to afford it doesn't mean most Panamanians can.

17. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Nope.. absolutely not. Those especially Hasbro Asia releases like MP11T Thundercracker can go between 100plus to tw hundred plus USD a pop.

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Both those stores/warehouses are physically located in Japan. That's where I (living in Japan) buy from. Pay in yen at the heavily discounted preorder price, and then shipping costs about $5.

19. Fenrir Zero

Fenrir Zero Permanently Retired (1984-2020)

Not really.

In the case of Toys"R"Us, my last two stays (12/15-01/16 and 08/16-09/16) had me notice that they never really have that many options. And they also include taxes. Which would, for example, save you around $9 for Delta Magnus. Plus, I think AmiAmi's Akihabara shop is 'Duty-Free' for foreigners. But their options were no different than any of the other stores. And you have to take into account that those savings will be shaved down by transportation costs, and other factors.

Which is why I am suggesting that if you have the time and money, aim for stores like Jungle and Mandarake. They tend to sell sealed items as pre-owned prices for some items... And fair prices for those rarer items. Other than that, I can only suggest that you go online unless your hotel is a walk away from a store that has everything you want... And is Duty-Free to those who are visiting.

I hope this helps.