are robots racist

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by brollicon, Jun 23, 2009.

1. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    They're as racist as the character of Ali G - when he first came to light about a decade ago his creator Sacha Baron Cohen has similarly accused of racially parodying black urban youth in England, when in fact he himself came out and said that it was youth culture in general.

I think the same applies here.

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I think they have more of a caste system

3. Gozer-Bot

Gozer-Bot Banned

THANK YOU! People, to say that these characters cannot be interpreted as racial stereotypes because of their species is ridiculous and completely ignores offensive characterizations in the past- non-human entities have been used to epitomize stereotypes throughout cinematic history. The crows are incredibly relevant, as is King Louie. If anyone's seen Fritz the Cat, even if the crows are an outright parody of this trend, they're so offensive that even they go beyond that and I'd say add themselves to that list.

The second problem in your "They aren't human" argument is the fact that they were created by one. Michael Bay is incredibly capable of injecting these fictional characters with his own biases and then turning around and covering his ass with the "wigger" excuse.

Like Skeeve said, they made no indication that the way they acted was just an act. They effectively became the stereotypes they adopted. Essentially no, the robots aren't racist; it's what they represent that's harmfully racist.

Oh shut the fuck up. Understanding racial stereotypes and recognizing them does not make a person racist, it makes them wiser, and it's a hell of a lot better to call it when you see it than lying to yourself or being ignorant to the historical portrayal of blacks.

People defending a movie without a second thought and pinning everyone else with the ability to think and reason as a hater? On THIS forum? Nahhh.

4. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Always fun to see the lengths people will go to say their lord and master Bay does no wrong so everything must be the fault of the viewer.

One of the problems with Skidmark and Buttflap is that if they were going for the poser thing then they sort of missed the mark on explaining in the film that's what they were going for. Seeing characters like the guy with bad teeth it's not all that hard to wonder if maybe it wasn't some racist short cut with the twins. Ali G, Malibu's Most Wanted, Tropic Thunder, they all had the advantage of the actors skin to say hey we are making fun of white posers while the robots don't have that advantage so the film needed something more to say poser.

5. Spoon

Spoon Banned

But mine is truer than others.

And for everyone saying they're meant to be 'Wiggers'... they're robots, how can you tell? Because, being a robot, they can't profile any culture, right?

6. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    It's been stated that the Autobots learn Earth culture through the internet. I think that pretty much explains everything.

7. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Does it?

So... because racism exists on the internet, it's allowed to be emulated in a movie aimed at children UP?

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I think we need more threads on this very subject.
    There certainly haven't been enough and the fact that you don't even have to use the Search feature to find them but can see two or three currently displayed is not proof that there are several forums to discuss this very topic.

More threads! We need more!

I personally plan to make 7 more threads on Skids and Mudflap being "racist" and I will make posts that they are racist in 23 other threads no matter what that thread is discussing.

9. Dran0n

Dran0n junk male

News Credits:
    I agree.

10. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Brollicon is a successful troll.

The twins are wangsters, not black.

11. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    I can't believe this thread hasn't be locked yet. I think I've covered most of my thoughts on the matter in a previous thread, so I won't bother repeating it here. But I will add one more tidbit:

Agreed. American youth culture has evolved to the point that "Gangsta" does not refer to any specific race. Like goth, slacker, stoner, etc.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  12. gobotron

gobotron Active Member

i am a self-proclaimed racist. so as an expert in that subject matter, i would have to say that the twins were a sad example of racism. annoying stereotyping of todays youth culture is more it. in the movie i would have had the twins eating fry chicken and watermelons, all the while complaining about how the 'man' was keeping them down. they should have used the 'N' word more often and then get pissed when bumblebee would extrapolate the sound byte of the 'N' word from some random rap song. and the alt modes of the twins should have been cadillacs. when they roll their windows down, there would be smoke billowing out. ......

holy smokes!!$%%@@$ are we still talking about that!!!!!!!!!

p.s. i've noticed (not like i care) that most often the people that call me racist, are always racists themselves.

TF3: how about some slanty-eyed transformers that transform into rickshaws!!

13. Tommybg2003

Tommybg2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    robots arent racist, but the people who are looking at characteristics of robots and saying they must be a certain race are, THEY'RE the one stereotyping them.

14. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

So you're saying black people can't read?

a robot is a robot, and a person is a person dude, shouldn't matter what color they are.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  15. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    So I just did a search and since June 23rd there are 48 threads in the Movie Forum with the word 'racist' in it.
    If you care read them all you will find that they are all largely the same. I didn't read them all, but I have seen quite enough of them to feel safe in saying that.
    Some of the threads even have almost the exact same titles.

It is incorrect to say that the characters are racist because at no time do Skids or Mudflap indicate that they themselves believe that racial differences produce an inherent superiority in one race or inferiority in another.
    What I gathered is that some people consider Skids and Mudflap to be racial effigies.
    They have protruding gold teeth, prominent "bug" eyes, and talk in a manner many refer to as "street" or "gangsta".
    They claim to be unable to read -or at the very least unable to read ancient Cybertronian. The comment of "Nah, we don't do that reading" is difficult to determine exactly. There is a strong argument for either case. When they were an ice cream truck they had "Decepticons suck my popsicle written on their side".
    I imagine they could read that.

Consider that Wheelie, a character who does not talk "gangsta", is also unable to read the Cybertronian glyphs.
    And although there was no screen time given to this scenario, it is plausible to envision Sam's showing Bumblebee the ancient Cybertronian symbols at some time.
    It is also a logical conclusion that Bumblebee could not read them either -after all, they had to go get Jetfire to do that.

Saying that Skids and Mudflap are meant to portray black people specifically is a bit of a stretch and, in my opinion, a racist line of thinking.
    Why is it that black people should be the only ones capable of having those qualities?
    Look at any mall in suburban America and sample the number of young people who speak "gangsta" and have gold teeth.
    Honestly, in the area where I live I hear teenagers speaking like that all the time and they are just as likely to be white, Hispanic, black or Asian.
    There is no way that you can argue that a mode of speech and a manner of adorning one's teeth is based on genetics and not culture.
    To do so would be to ignore the evidence that just observing the world can provide.

Consider as well that throughout the film there are other characters who are voiced by black actors.
    If Skids and Mudflap represent black people then why don't the other characters as well?
    Do you feel that talking "gangsta" is the only way that black people are represented?
    If the ancient Prime voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson had said "Yo! Sam -you got the Matrix, dawg! I knew you wasn't no punk," would that have made him represent black people?
    Would that have been a good representation or not?
    He did not speak that way and he was played by a black voice actor.
    The reason he didn't talk that way is because his character represented wisdom and leadership.
    Skids and Mudflap represent inexperience, youth and humor.
    Racism is a real thing -it really exists.
    But not in the Revenge of the Fallen movie.

If you still want to voice your opinion that the Twins are racial effigies please join an existing thread on the topic.
    We do not need another one.

16. ManiactoaLaco

ManiactoaLaco Well-Known Member

This.

MTL

17. campusninja87

campusninja87 New Member

Haven't Transformers used stereotypes for years to give bots personality. I just think they were using the gangsta stereotype for the twins because they wanted to be tough and bad so I mean they were just sorta like kids emulating what they see.

18. Rodimus666

Rodimus666 Member

Clearly, they were inspired by people like this guy...

[​IMG]

19. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

What are you? A bunch of soccer moms? You people pointing out that Skids and Mudflap "might be" racist are no better than the fucking bitches that watch Disney movies and try to find stuff that "might be" innappropriate.... of course that's only if you're so fucked up in the head that you'd actually think that way. You know what I saw during the wedding in The Little Mermaid? I saw the priest's knee sticking out through his robes.

Some perverted soccer moms saw a boner.

When I saw Revenge of the Fallen you know what I saw in the Twins? Idiots. Just young immature idiots, and that's what I loved about them.

You know what the nit-picky saw? Racist stereotypes. And you know why they saw racist stereotypes? Because they WANTED to see racist stereotypes so they could have some reason to pick at the movie and try to make a false point.

So stop being soccer moms, please... it's making me sick :puke2: 

20. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Wow, you scaled that way up.