Are dreams a glimpse into alternate realities?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Starforce, May 6, 2019.

1. Starforce

Starforce Banned

Been giving this matter some thought lately folks

I find myself rethinking a lot of things in my life these days while looking back on the past

Anyways i find myself thinking lately

Some say that the dreamstate be a way to communicate with and to recieve visets from the other side from departed freiends family and loved ones who have passed over.

Others say that nightmares and dreams be the subconciouse minds way of better understanding a matter from ones conscious mind day to day life as it attempts to better understand said matter in question and also to find its entertainment whil the conciouse mind recharges during sleep yes?

What if dreams also serve as a way to go about experiencing a glimpse into the life of ones alternate reality counterpart?

Think about that for a moment

One person 2 lives 2 radically differant alternate realities alternate worlds alternate experiences in ones day to day life

For every choice made in ones life the alternate choice is made instead by that alternate you

What i am trying to say is this

What if dreams /nightmares /the dreamstate serve as a way to glimpse through a window that alternate yous reality and alternate timeline concerning the matter in ones life from the other yous point of view

Put more simply

A opportunity to view through the dreamstate a possible future moment through glimpsing that moment in the life of your alternate reality counterpart

Basically the dreamstate serving as a way to view that alternate yous timeline and life and experience with that matter while seeing the possible consequences of ones actions concerning the choice one would make on a matter in day to day waking life(a future moment of your alternate yous life glinpsed through the dreamstate but has not yet actually happened in your own day to day waking life a kind of foreshadowing effect as it were

2. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Dreams are a glimpse into the subconscious. Basically it depends on your outlook/state of mental health. In my experience, my dreams mostly are easily forgettable. However, on the off chance I do remember said dream, they are pretty bad.

That goes back to the outlook portion of my post. I usually remember the bad of the past sometimes. So for me, it makes sense to remember those dreams.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Starforce

Starforce Banned

I once had a dreak in which i saw myself get totally plastered passed out and apparently died from. Alcohol poisoning/while drowning on my own inhaled vomit at the time.

Keep in mind this all happened during the dreamstate next thing i know i find myself waking up in bed next to my lifeless corpse and after that free floating in a state of absolute nothingness in a state of total darkness nothing but my emotions attitude personality. Paranoia and fearfactor to keep me company. Nothing but darkness stretching off in all directions

Absolute lonelyness and insanity. Basically

Hell purgatory limbo?

I plain dont know

Absolute worst experience of my life

I was 30 at the time drowning out my life as a alcoholic at the time i had that nightmare

I totally rethought my life the next day joined up with the local alcolics anonymous group and been sober ever since
    To this day i remain firmly convinced i witnessed a glimpse of a alternate reality in which my counterpart barely survived a near death experience

A glimpse of how my life would have ended for all intents

4. Galvatross

Galvatross Dreklord of Ogremarr Veteran

If dreams were alternate realities, that means that in other universes there are real life Transformers, orange cave men hibernating in the ground strong enough to randomly pick up boulders when they're awake, people who can shape shift into other life forms, giant moose 20 feet tall at the shoulder with hooves as big as an elephant's sole, tropical planets with coral-like trees, and swimming ponds in the mountains where you can ride ichthyosaurs. And people who have surgically turned their backs into folders to hold files, because why not?

• Like Like x 4
  5. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    As well as random people hovering three feet in the air Buhdda style because they don't feel like walking, various universes of Anime harems, werewolves that eat pants, and Sans threatening to kill your brother with a sock and two curved spoons, only to dab and fly with the Ricardo music playing right after.

.....my dreams are weird.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Starforce

Starforce Banned

For every fi tional mythos their could very well be a reality in the multiverse corrosponding to the series of events and history of said fitional mythos

Real trippy experience when you think about it that way

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    If there are an infinite number of alternate universes, that means there would be a universe for every conceivable thing (at least in theory). There would be a universe where the Transformers are real. There would be a universe where Revenge of the Fallen won a best picture award. Actually, there would be trillions upon trillions of universes where these things were true, but there are other differences (some differences would be very tiny, to the point that they wouldn't even be noticeable, making multiple universes appear the same).

Could dreams be looks into alternate universes? Sure, it's an interesting theory at least. I mean, it would explain why some dreams are very wacky and defy reality, while other dreams are more realistic (to the point that they can be mistaken for reality). Wacky dreams could be accessing father away realities. Do I believe this is the explanation? As neat as it is to consider, I don't know if that's the case. It seems weird that our unconscious minds would be able to access other realities, but no other biological or technological function would be able to. I think it's more likely that our dreams are more closely related to daydreams and fantasies. Just products of our imaginations (in this case our subconscious imaginations). Dreams often reflect recent events. Also, some people can learn to control their dreams (lucid dreaming). If dreams were looks into alternate realities, these people would technically be altering a different reality. Considering there isn't any evidence of our reality being altered by someone else' dream, I find it unlikely.

All of that being said, I do think dreams are important. Even if they're not looks into alternate realities, they're still one-of-a-kind experiences. They're like your own personal movies that no one else will ever experience (and that you'll only experience once). Dreams are the most vivid form of virtual reality, and it's completely free and built-in. Recently I've started writing down my dreams, especially vivid dreams that leave some kind of an impact on me. Doing this makes future dreams more memorable and vivid, and it obviously helps you remember that specific dream. Taking 10 minutes a day or several times a week to jot down your dreams is rewarding. I don't get why some people disregard and forget dreams. Out of all the incredible things the human body/mind is capable of, I find dreaming to be one of the most cool and fascinating, and certainly worth exercising.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Galvatross

Galvatross Dreklord of Ogremarr Veteran

Trust me, I've also had dreams where I could literally just hover at will to explore the world.

So I have some very weird dreams as well.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Pudglor Shmormuff

Pudglor Shmormuff Well-Known Member

I don't think so.

I've had a dream where a bloodthirsty Mario, with a hatchet and flaming red eyes, chased me through a run down/abandoned hospital- with body bags on the operating tables, twitching and moving around- and a thunderstorm going on outside.

If there's even a remote chance of that being an existing alternate reality: F that. 0_0

• Like Like x 1
  10. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    It would be nice if true. At least one version of me would know Alexis Texas.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Starforce

Starforce Banned

Omg could you just imagine. What it would be like to literally have the opportunity. To meet ones child hood. Sci fi fantasy super robot heroes for real?

I think its a safe bet a good number of us would flip the @$!# out and faint on the spot lol

• Like Like x 1
  12. Starforce

Starforce Banned

This is why i love lucid dreaming the ability to dream while in a concouise state of mind being aware you are in The dream state while dreaming and as such having the ability to kanipulate the events and setting of the dream in any way you choose

Like literally having your own personal. Private virtual reality holodeck chamber out of star trek tng

Concentration meditation and breathing exercises while maintaing a dream diary daily are key to learning this wonderful ability

• Like Like x 2
  13. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    This first part of this is right. There may be an inconceivable number of universes in the Multiverse, and you could have millions that all have only slightly variations and some drastic. So the idea that any conceivable idea or thought might exist within another universe is very valid.

So, sure. What happens in your dreams might happen in another universe. But their is no “connection”. No “mystical bond.” Your subconscious creates dreams usually to reflect your current life or to put you through some sort of scenario. But thats it. A writer can sit down and think up a hundred different stories, and there might be billions of universes in which those stories occur, but theres no connection, and dreams are just the same.

So to TLDR. Any conceivable idea(including dreams) probably exists in a multitude of universes, but just because you might have had that same idea doesn’t mean there some sort of supernatural connection.

• Like Like x 2
  14. FrozenFishLurker

FrozenFishLurker Watching & Waiting needs to lurk moar

dear lord i hope not i once dreamt I was eaten by a giant yellow jacket and had to cut myself out with a machete
    and I was also in a war with human sized yellow jackets.
    so alternate reality of giant wasp overlords I think not.
    i hate yellow jackets. their evil spawns of satan.
    tenor.gif

• Like Like x 1
  15. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

A tip of my hat (or comical oversized bomb, rather) then to that alternate Meta who was in a shower with four beautiful women.

• Like Like x 2
  16. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I already did that joke.... You might have me blocked.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  17. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

So in one reality, I'm God of the dead?

Lots and lots of nightmares involving zombies since I was a preteen.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    I haven't had any dreams - at least, I haven't remembered any dreams when I've woken up - for several years, now. There's been one or two I'm pretty sure, but even those I don't remember.

19. Terrorpin

Terrorpin Well-Known Member

As a gamer, I've developed a different take on this. Often in choice-based games, the creators are kind enough to allow us to save beforehand and if we don't like the outcome, we simply go back and redo it to get the desired effect. However, OUR creator (if you subscribe to that branch of thought) is... not so kind. It's a crapshoot. Most of the time, we are goaded into making snap decisions (because our society tells us often of the evils of hesitation) and we are never allowed to fully think through our choices with the paths laid out before us.

So at night, one of the big things to occupy our brain becomes "what if?"

Now, if our sleeping brains were rational, I'm sure that would be ALL they think about. What-ifs. On choices made and those yet to come. But our sleeping brains are NOT rational. Once the lights go out, things get WEIRD. Your brain may mush together your afternoon math class with a zombie movie you watched last week. Or explore desires that society (and better decency) simply won't allow for. Our brains don't need a save system for this. Our nightly meanderings are free-form. They can be as serene, terrifying, or goofy as your imagination allows. At your mind's disposable is every genre of life you can think of. Which is why so many peoples' dreams can vary so wildly. Someone whose subconcious feels a need for guidance may invent a scenario in which that guidance is sought. If there is a conflict brewing, you may dream of having that conflict... whether your concious mind acknowledges your desire for it or not.

I like to think of dreams like the arcade games in Wreck-It Ralph. Your mind is drawn to one, you boot it up, and the different aspects of your ego, self-concious, and subconcious draft together something to help you explore whatever's on your mind. And you run through that simulation as a "player character." You might be playing you. You might be playing Young You (because our brains love analyzing the past) or you might dream about a hero, a friend, a lover, who knows? Whatever has your brain's interest.

It might not be an alternate reality, but I'm sure some parts can feel as real. And it all happens within the safety of your own mind. If things get out of control, you don't die. But you may need help. I've known folks who couldn't get good night's sleep because of bad dreams.

• Like Like x 1
  20. FrozenFishLurker

FrozenFishLurker Watching & Waiting needs to lurk moar

dream thread when ?