Are Critics Trying To Send A Message?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by celticgaurdian, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    Or you're just wrong, with some weird Axe to grind against anything Bay.

2. Anthony _aggro

Anthony _aggro Platypus Prime

Ebay:
    Great post. Up the fans, don't listen to the critics.

3. Burnout00012

Burnout00012 SKREEEEEEEOONK

Celticguardian, you are the Optimus Prime of TFW2005. An inspiration, with deep wisdom, and a noble message that many can get behind. Galvatron II is.... well, the Galvatron of this site... :lol 

4. LightningBlade3

LightningBlade3 Destined to be a Prime

News Credits:
    I agree with you on so many points here. Just a few that I disagree on, but overall agree.

5. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

I don't wanna be Galvatron... I wanna be Galvatron II.

[​IMG]

6. NebulusPrime

NebulusPrime The Fourteenth

Preach it!

7. Armada13

Armada13 Spaceship!

What are critics? People who are paid to review a movie? If it doesn't live up to their standards, it sucks? Their standards are opinions. We have opinions. As surprising as it is, we can actually think what we want about a movie and don't need to listen to critics.
    I thought AOE was great, as did my sister, who hated ROTF and DOTM. Yet, critics on RT hated it. That doesn't mean everyone has to hate it. I hate on the Wikipedia page, it says all of the negative reviews it has- yet fails to mention the large positive reaction from fans, moviegoers, the real people who see movies, not critics.

8. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some movie critics have been trained to look at certain criteria in a movie to rate, not just the things we look for in a good movie. (I learned this in my media studies class in high school, my teacher used to work in film) So they might just be looking too hard at what/how they think things don't work, forgetting to look at if it actually does work for a regular viewing audience.

But yes, it's all a matter of opinion. Personally, I think if they make a movie based off a franchise, they should get a handful of fans of said franchise to review the movie, at least people who know quite a bit of it to get some references and have a better idea of what works and what doesn't. Just my opinion. Get the fans involved!

jD001

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I do love this as long as I get what I want out of these films I don't care if other fans don't get what they want.

10. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah... I think critics gave the film a bad review because it wasn't very good. A lot of interesting character action (like what happens to the autobots we loved for the last 3 movies) happens offscreen, the promoted Dinobots don't get nearly enough screen time and aren't even characters. He still loves those jarring scene changes and while some movies make their run time feel very short, this one didn't for me, and it's long.

Can I ask some honest questions here, no attempt to pick a fight: I see a lot of threads on the forum reacting to the anticipated negative feedback from the film, are you guys feeling a bit defensive about the movies?
    If so, why?
    Do people make fun of you for liking the movie franchise?
    Just because you like them, and they're bad, doesn't mean people should make fun of you, so I'm sorry if they do.If people aren't and just expressing their displeasure at these films, why is there such a compact core of aggressive reaction to negative viewpoints on the franchise?

11. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only way people are going to get a message out, is through their wallets.

So we need a movie to bomb at the box office in order to get a new director, basically.

After all, money talks.

12. MelficeCyrum

MelficeCyrum Well-Known Member

Yep. I always take user reviews over critical reviews because it's the consumers who are the ones being marketed towards. Whether it's video games or movies I'll take the word of the person with a vested, sometimes personal interest in the product over some guy or girl telling me that the pacing was bad or the movie was too long and therefore bad movie.

13. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Well, not sure what you mean by "you guys", as while there are several loud voices reacting very defensively, there are also quite a few people in the middle talking about what was good and bad.

For me- No- not defensive, mostly puzzled. The puzzling part wasn't that it got negative reviews. It was what was said in some of the reviews. Some of the criticisms were spot on and others were completely wrong imo. I'd have put it around a 30-40%, not an 18%.

No, nobody has ever made fun of me for that. Seen it happen to others on here, though.

There's a core of people with extreme, aggressive opinions because you're on a Transformers forum. And it's often those with the most extreme, aggressive opinions that yell the loudest and post over and over again.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  14. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So...what do we do?

15. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dunno, what do you want to do?

16. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Party like it's 1984!

17. BooyakaDragon

BooyakaDragon I Don't Even Know

News Credits:
    Oh you should see this NASCAR forum I'm on. We have a thread for movies and such and they say I'm an idiot with no taste for liking these movies and that people who like them are brain dead fools...

It get's irritating, but it's their opinion and I'm not gonna change it.

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The problem is even if you don't go to a movie the studios will just market it hard in some other nation to make up the difference. The domestic box office is having more and more trouble with action films but instead of Hollywood saying hey you know if we made better films maybe more Americans would go to the movie theaters. No the answer has been lets market it hard in China so it doesn't matter if fewer Americans pay to see the movie.

Even if Transformers 4 doesn't break $200 million domestically they will just go with Transformers 5 more of the same because Transformers 4 did well in China.

19. Cataraks

Cataraks Decepticon Cannibal

Critics have been panning popcorn flicks for decades.
    The Blues Brothers typically gets 2 stars

20. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    It is really as simple as this. Blockbusters, in fact most of them, get excellent reviews. The only bias here is in the quality of the film itself - it sucks. And with Bay that not only means boring and stupid, but ignorant and obnoxious as well.

TF FANS - true believers- enough is enough. Michael Bay doesn't even like TF's or you - see his hall of fame acceptance. Help end this mockery of a TF film series by rejecting this Batman & Robin wannabee at the box office. Look what that did for Batman. Have faith there is a better opportunity coming - don't act so desperate just to have anything with the word TF on it (or cool effects). Trust me when I say anyone with a computer and a camera can bring both to you, but they aren't worthy of being paid for it unless they actually work at making it good.