Are Critics Trying To Send A Message?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by celticgaurdian, Jun 26, 2014.

1. celticgaurdian

celticgaurdian Clean-up Crew

Thanks! :) 

2. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Movie Transformers fans are overtly sensitive to the opinions of critics and will say anything to say they don't know shit or that they don't matter. More news at eleven.

It's been four movies. Just stop caring about what the critics say.

3. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I agree that I'm feeling like the reviews are more of a "message" to Hollywood in general (not like the critics are in some super evil conspiracy, but that AOE was just the straw that broke the camel's back for many of them). I've read through most of them and...well, I don't feel like many of them are actually telling me about the movie. It's more like I'm reading a critique of Bay himself, or a critique of the sequel-spamming culture Hollywood has become over the last decade.

Sometimes, I'm getting to end of the review and I haven't learned anything because the review contradicted itself, sometimes in the same paragraph. Or said something akin to "It's not a bad movie, it's just everything wrong with Hollywood." Well, ok. But I'm here to read a review of this specific movie, not a review of Hollywood. You don't like product placement? Then explain how it negatively effects this movie- don't spend the paragraph complaining about product placement in general. You don't like Bay's often crude sense of humor? Then tell me what the humor is like in this movie- don't spend the paragraph complaining about Bay liking crude humor.

Theres been a good share of thoughtful, well written negative and positive reviews. I'm not trying to dismiss or lump together those who didn't enjoy the movie. Transformers AOE probably DOES represent everything wrong with Hollywood. It's like, the goddamned poster child for everything wrong with Hollywood. My frustration is similar to when I check a low-rated Amazon item and see people giving 1 stars because the mailman damaged the box or the item arrived late.

I see the movie in 2 hours so it'll be interesting how these reviews stack up to the real thing.

4. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    Same could be said for movie haters, though.

They grasp onto the hate to justify their own. The bolded part should be everyone's practice.

Make up your own damn minds.

5. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not every review is simply to promote the 'message' you explain - however I agree completely about everything else.

6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Bring a timer. I want to know how long it takes from the start of the movie to when the first Autobot shows up, and then how long the dinobots are actually on screen.

7. tfan123

tfan123 Well-Known Member

U just won this whole freaking website.

Attached Files:

8. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    Can't wait to hear your view on the film.

9. EnergonWaffles

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I do have a stop watch on my phone

10. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    I actually thought about doing this, but only have my phone and don't want to get kicked out.

11. celticgaurdian

I get what you're saying Scorps. Some may not like the movie, and that's completely fine. Hell, I might not like the movie. You never know.

But I think critics as a whole are just tired of the same kind of movie over and over again

12. EnergonWaffles

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Turn the brightness down to the lowest possible setting. Mine goes down low enough so I can just make out the buttons, but it doesn't really give off much light.

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Don't they make watches with timers anymore?

14. Sarvantes1

Sarvantes1 Well-Known Member

I usually like to disagree with the majority but this is an excellent and well written post. I would like to add to what someone else mentioned that the negative reviews and general attitude towards transformers in particular may be in part because critics believe their taste for movies trumps the general audience, therefore they cannot understand how such "mindless" movies have created such an insane cash cow franchise. What they don't realize is that an overwhelming population of men (of all ages) love cars, love robots, are intrigued by aliens and within our nature have a disposition for aggression(fighting). Combine all these elements and add in some explosions(and dinosaurs!) and you get transformers. They will never get over that nor fully understand it.

15. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Grimlock is in this movie and he bashes brains, maybe bash yours!

16. celticgaurdian

Not sure who you're talking to, or what you're talking about for that matter

17. wrecker11

wrecker11 Wrecker

That's some pretty clever thinkning. You need an award, but even though I agree with you, you must have alot of time on your hands lol

18. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:
    About the critics reviews pretty much are fat old geezers that give excellent reviews to movies like Saving Ryan's Privates (yes I meant that as a joke) or Titanic,and yet they give movies like TF AOE such lousy ratings.So all in all you can't trust what critics have to say,so go to the movies and see it,I think you will be surprised at how it turns out.

19. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde born-again First Churcher

News Credits:
    Very well put, my friend.

I think you pretty much hit it on the nose.

20. Leather Elbows

Leather Elbows Dooper

News Credits:
    I will never get tired of Transformers destruction. Less explosions would be nice though. Like, when Prime fights Grimlock in that canyon, the water and dirt explode. Like.... WHAT!? Why? :lol :