APS-01 Striker Optimus Prime - Official Images

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Cheem The Rup, Sep 6, 2012.

1. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Because there's still demand. Especially for this mold, which is miles better than any TFP toy released so far with the possible exception of FE Bulkhead.

2. HasTak

HasTak Well-Known Member

QFT. IMO the ROTF leader class Prime mold is nothing short of a small miracle, considering how much cheating goes on in the CG renderings of both bot mode and the transformation sequence.

3. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

I love me some movie toys!

4. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    I'd buy that one too.

This is the reason this Prime is- no exaggeration- THE BEST TRANSFORMER OF ALL TIME!!!

Seriously.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  5. TheBigMachine

TheBigMachine Initiating JAZZ HANDS!

News Credits:
    We still need a trailer for this mold. I'd take the DOTM weapons halo thingy in particular. Come on 3rd party guys, make it happen!

6. anubis20

anubis20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Yea no kidding no matter how many repaints no one builds a trailer :( 

7. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    I officially retire from buying Dotm/ ROTF Leader Prime moulds! :lol 

8. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That would be the obvious thing.

BUT- notice how every aspect of this toy is recycled from a previous release. They apparently didn't even have the budget to create new pin striping for the shield. (You know they're using existing Buster Prime paint aps for the main bot- seems obvious to do the shield as well)

That being said, it's still awesome and I'm still getting it.

But I doubt if we'll see any further meaningful repaints until TF4 (assuming it's even still the same mold then- remember Bay claimed he was rebooting himself- which makes no sense).

I think there are only two ways this toy could be improved anyhow:

1) Trailer and include everything he's had so far in his different variations.

2) Start over from the plans (not using the molds) and upgrade the thing into the most detailed MP figure ever- complete with full body paint and detailing, articulated fingers, removeable face plate, etc. etc. Basically ANYTHING they could possibly improve happening...

9. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    The miracle makes sense, when you realize who designed the mould :p  Takara's Masterpiece designer. Can't remember his name though :eek: 

I think I'm done too. I need to get real, owning 6 versions of him is enough.....

I announce that I'll be NOT buying anymore Leader Prime figures. If I do, someone bitch slap me across da face.

10. Sentinel

News Credits:
    Sweet. Didn't know that. I always considered Leader Prime a Masterpiece, even if it wasn't official.

11. opt1musaber

News Credits:
    I remember reading it somewhere a few years ago. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I have always had the idea that he was created by one of the Masterpiece designers since then.

12. Have A Cygar

Have A Cygar Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the movieverse at all, but I have always liked this Optimus Prime, and have on many occasions considered buying some version of it, yet never pulled the trigger.

Here's my question. What is the difference, if any, between the mold of the Striker Prime and the Jetwing Prime? I'm not talking about minor tweaks to accommodate weapons and such, I mean the overall aesthetic/engineering of the figure. Are they basically the same? Or to simplify things, if I could only own one Leader class movie Prime figure, and it was between this one and the Jetwing Prime, which one would you recommend? And I'm just talking about the base figure, not any of the accessories. Thanks.

Also, you guys keep mentioning pinstriping, and saying this new Striker Prime has pinstriping on him, but I'm not seeing what you're talking about. Where is this pinstriping?

13. opt1musaber

News Credits:
    If you're not including tweaks then there's no difference at all between Striker and Jetwing. As to which one's better, if you don't include accessories then you can take your pick... Pinstriping is on the flames, it's not that hard to see them.

14. Have A Cygar

Have A Cygar Well-Known Member

Oh, I see why I was confused. You guys are talking about the highlighted outlines around the flames. I was thinking pinstriping in the strict definition of the word, as in a pattern of thin parallel stripes, like the Yankees home uniforms.

And thanks. I was planning to order the Amazon Jetwing Prime, but while that jetpack is nice, it's just a little too bulky for my tastes/shelf space. Also, I like that this Striker Prime has more silver paint apps. But the price...ugh!

15. Sentinel

News Credits:
    Once you get a premium painted Leader Prime in hand such as Buster Prime or this new Striker Prime, you will appreciate the paint apps. If you've ever held the standard Prime and can compare it to Buster or this Striker, they will blow you away.

The price tag for Striker Prime is relatively a lot, but when most people were expecting it to be $200-$225 before shipping, the RobotKingdom deal of $177 shipped is very reasonable. Plus this guy has virtually everything, Buster paint apps and chrome, Striker shield and guns, plus the bonus handheld swords. The only things he is missing are the jet pack and Buster gun, which are unfortunately not compatible with this mold.

Taking all of that into consideration, this newest Striker Prime is well worth the money and if you were going to own a Prime, this should probably be it.

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    What you mean is that you were thinking of the strict definition of the word in relation to clothes. We're talking about what the word traditionally means in terms of cars (or other vehicles).

Yeah, and remember how much those were going for...

17. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sure which is the best from a play value prospective (quite possibly jetwing)- but from a collector's display perspective this Prime and Buster Prime are hands down the best they've released. (unless you throw the slightly smaller non transforming DMK Prime into the mix).

This is probably better than Buster both because he has more accessories and because I'm not sure if you can still get Buster this cheap anywhere. But price aside, the biggest question would be if you liked the Tf 1 & 2 design better or the minor Tf 3 mods.

If you want the mold, you can't go wrong with this, and based off recent directions hasbro has taken their toys (cheaper, smaller, simpler, less detailed)- unless Takara makes a full 100% true Masterpiece movie Prime at some point, this maybe the best representation the movie Prime ever gets.

18. Sentinel

News Credits:
    Whatever do you mean? I got mine for free :) 

I have a karate student that teaches in Tokyo and she totally hooked me up last Christmas. She had to take like three trains and spend so much at TRU, but she got the swords for free and gave them to me.

Otherwise, they were $50-$60 on eBay. So yeah, if you include the swords into the cost, it is an even better deal.

19. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Can't wait for this to come back out again

20. HasTak

HasTak Well-Known Member

Well, that explains a lot. If they hadn't forced those batteries and voice chips into his torso, he's have perfect proportions.

Personally, I've always regarded ROTF LC Prime to be an "honorary" Masterpiece.

Too bad ROTF LC Megs didn't get the same MP treatment. Not a horrible figure per se, but the arms really ruin what could have been a nice-looking toy.