Apollyon Paint Color... PLEASE HELP :(

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Optimus Dime, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Optimus Dime

Optimus Dime Transform and Roll Out!

Does Anyone know what color silver is a perfect match for Apollyon? I was removing his logo I had on his chest as I am getting in some nice Ocean Dry Rub Decals in soon. And my cat decided to jump on me. Well, it scared the hell out of me and I scratched up Apollyons chest pretty good. And where it is scratched at is off to the side so it can't be just hidden with a logo over it.

I would like to touch his chest up, and I will be using a brush, I don't know how to air spray. But my Tamiya I have isn't the right match which I thought it was. So I am in a bind. Any information would be awesome!!!

Here is a pic of his chest :( 

[​IMG]

Best Regards,

2. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    Silver Sharpie, as weird as it sounds, is an absolute perfect match. I mean like 100%.

Only thing is, it can rub off. I'd recommend using the sharpie, and then using a thin coat of future to coat it so it stays.

3. Optimus Dime

I have a Silver Sharpie. Tried it, and it is darker. Maybe I have the wrong one. Can you post a picture of the one you found to match? I just want to match it so it won't be as noticeable.

Best Regards,

4. Optimus Dime

Mine says Silver Metallic on it.

Best Regards,

5. Shiro1

Shiro1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I accidentally scratched my Apollyon and tried a couple of paints to fix it. The one that matched perfectly for me is Tamiya TS-83 Metallic Silver. Mine is in a spray can and I don't think you can buy it any other way, but you can brush it on if you spray a small 'puddle' of paint into a cup.

6. Optimus Dime

Thank you Shiro. I will see if I can find that! It's worth a shot.

Best Regards,

7. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    Oh that's what mine is. Weird :(  was a perfect match on his helmet for me.

8. Initial_G

Initial_G Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    when I previously had to touch up the abs section on my Apollyon I used "Tamiya 89011 X-11 Chrome Silver Enamel Gloss Paint Marker"

I found that to be a really good match

9. Optimus Dime

Yeah, it works great for small spots where you can't see much of a difference. I've used it for the helmet also. That is why I tried it to start with. But sadly, it is way too dark in color when you try to do a larger area.

I am going to try the Tamiya TS-83 Metallic Silver. If it doesn't work, I don't know what else to do. But it's worth a shot. I know Shiro is a trustworthy board member, so I am going to give it a go.

Best Regards,

10. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tamiya TS-83 is definitely the paint you want.

11. Optimus Dime

Thanks! I have a can on its way to me now. Should be here in a day or two, right along with the dry tranfer logos I ordered. So I am going to repaint his chest where needed, let dry and apply the logo. I hope it pans out, as I am taking Shiro's advice and going to spray a small ammount in a cup and use my brush. Too hard to mask where I want painted, and spray it with a can.

Best Regards,

12. Lumidingo

Lumidingo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've found cutting a small hole in a piece of card and placing it flush against the spot I'm painting can help to cut down on overspray when masking is tricky.

13. robh

robh Decepticon

if you're getting a spray can, I would mask off the whole rectangle, strip the existing paint, and repaint the whole front part of the chest. You can blend the edges in a lot better (ie imperfections won't stand out) where the plastic already has an edge. If you try to paint over the chipped parts, you'll likely still see the chip, it'll just be painted. Especially with something that large.

If you don't want to strip (just some 91 rubbing alcohol and some qtips), I'd get some 1500-2000 grit automotive sand paper, and wet sand it as much as possible to smooth down the ridge between the painted area and the chip.

14. NothingHead

News Credits:
    Don't brush! Take the time to mask and spray, and don't use a sealer.

15. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

What this man said.

You have to pick, a battle damaged appollyon or one fixed properly? Any type of touch up or half ass repair on that color and spot will show up big time. That chip looks deep in the picture.

Maybe the reprolabels set would cover it

16. spot138

spot138 Proud Gee-Wunner!!!

Ebay:
    Be sure to let us know how it comes out, preferably with an after pic. I love my Apollyon so I'm emotionally invested at this point.

17. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    why not? mutes the silver?

thought i read that tamiya ts 30 silver leaf is a match

18. NothingHead

News Credits:
    Because aerosol paint is composed of solvents and particulate. When you brush it on, not only do you not allow for an even distribution of the particulate, but you run the risk of abrading the surface and either creating a texture or lifting off pre-existing paint. You will also be unable to apply the paint thinly and evenly with the brush, so your application will wind up lumpy and full of brushstrokes.

Any job worth doing is worth doing right. We are talking about an expensive, uncommon collectible and a spray paint that costs nearly $25 for 3 ounces. The surface that is being painted is a nearly perfect rectangle, so there really isn't any excuse for not springing for some good painters tape, masking the area off, and applying everything properly.

And it is definitely TS-83. A lot of us have had problems with this exact same area and have already gone through this; I'm one of them. If you want to repair Apollyon's chest in a way that makes it look like nothing ever happened, then mask off the chest panel and shoot it with TS-83. Any other fix is going to give mixed results.

19. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    i know that i use tamiya spray paint... i was asking about you saying not to seal/varnish it

20. robh

robh Decepticon

Varnishing is fine as long as you get the correct varnish type for the paint with the appropriate sheen. I varnish everything I paint, with no exceptions.

And to reiterate you can try to brush in the scratches, but you'll likely need to strip and repaint in order for it to look right. In almost any instructions on a paint can whether it be brush or spray, most start with "remove old finish"