Aoyi Mech LS-12 OSKO "Not MPM-8" Movie Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Thalyn, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Bweep

Bweep Well-Known Member

232363764_2924206261227959_7256605893987962575_n.jpg 231335271_334315261759813_1152352102231859750_n.jpg 234041895_268038611418129_4099030813994483088_n (1).jpg

These show the fact that his arms actually slide backward for a more deeper bend, plus it makes it rather natural in comparison with the single point bend for the arm itself, which looks rather bland

if anyone is daring much to achieve this with the Aoyi Mech Megs (mostly modding the elbow or forearm base to alter the articulation and add more of a natural bend to his arm movement), i'd want to follow suit to mostly make it a better figure for it's mold

or maybe someone like DNA can do an upgrade like that, much like with their recent upgrade kit for MPM Starscream to give him elbow swivels now

2. GrimlockPrime19

GrimlockPrime19 I always have the high ground

I gotta ask, is it a dangerous figure even if you don't transform? I think about getting one but I'm not much into transforming, and this alt mode isn't appealing at all so I definitely won't. And his size and color really makes me want this one. WJ one is good but I don't like that bright gold and even tho he's big I'd like a bigger one

3. ManelFigures

ManelFigures Happy mountaineer!

Instagram:
    I sold the LS12, I was uncomfortable with it, is not difficult but nothing fits between pieces and it's frustrating, not a funny figure at all. Then I bought WeiJiang version... yes, is smaller but the difference of the materials it's like comparing clay with steel. Like day and night. Also the paint is much better and the transformation is more enjoyable, is smooth, very smooth, everything fits perfectly without complications.

If you're looking for a bigger guy, LS12 will be your boy, but there's not a big difference in size between them (3 or 4cm) and the quality of Weijiang version is far superior in everything.

If I had to recommend one, pick WJ, the price is the same I think.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GrimlockPrime19

Yh I know all that, but I'm not thinking about transforming it in anyway (and overall photos I've seen ls12 paint appealed more to me). So, you think someone would have QC problems with ls12 even if he didn't transform the figure?

5. ManelFigures

Instagram:
    You already decided it! whatever I tell you, you will buy an LS12 anyway :p  my advice is... Well... If you re going to buy it yes or yes... My advices is BE VERY CAREFUL handling it. The LS12 has problems, QC issues from factory: scratches, marks, cracks, stuck joints, loose joints, chipped paint... And the paint is very bright, very very silver without shadows, WJ has a lot of paint applications that makes him more "high end" version. LS12 is not a bad figure for display, it has a very nice presence, but I value playability over aesthetics and I like to "touch" a lot my figures. If you're gonna let him on a shelf and that's all, probably it's the best version if you need to display it near the LS04 Optimus (but Black Apple Prime is a dwarf in comparison). :) 

If a figure fullfil your needs, don't worry, then it's a right choice!.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GrimlockPrime19

Oh no I'm far from decided lol I still have to give a good look in the WJ ko I'm not even sure if I'll buy one. Just think for now

7. ManelFigures

Instagram:
    Resuming:

Bigger guy: LS12.

Better guy in everything you can think or imagine: WeiJiang.

:lol 

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bweep

Bweep Well-Known Member

in a way, transforming a figure would cause issues in the long run in terms of it's own longevity and durability, and LS-12 is no exception,

though in terms of just not bothering to convert him into his alt mode, he's mostly strong enough to deal a fair amount of play (just mind the more rigid areas that are probably susceptible to snap)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Cold Mango Juice

Cold Mango Juice Todos saúdam Megatron!

News Credits:
    I echo what's been said about the paint on this guy. It comes off pretty easily. I noticed some scratches/chips on mine after transforming him back and forth just once (and I am pretty careful when it comes to transforming my figures).

Everything else on him feels great though. He is a little floppy in the legs, but tightening screws can help that a bit.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bweep

Bweep Well-Known Member

aside from some thin paint caveats, i'd barter the negativity into positivity for it regardless, despite it's own reputation of rigid but "brittle" construction and quality, he's a monolith of presence and stature

merely needing a few minor tweaks and he's as enjoyable as he can get for something like him

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lkyle

Lkyle Well-Known Member

I've finished cutting off all the necessary parts on the sides of the head
    20210819_161035.jpg
    (The head looks wider in person)
    20210819_161054.jpg

I've decided that I will cut off the side horn pieces connected to his head so I can glue them to the main part of the head, to make the silhouette better, but I don't know when I will. I still have to sand down all the parts that have been cut so it's all smooth, but I'm liking the way his head looks now.
    In the meantime, I may begin my work on removing these forearm hinges, cause I don't find their addition to the jet mode worth the compromise to the robot details.
    20210819_161808.jpg

Again, I'll update when it's all done.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Bweep

Bweep Well-Known Member

looking real good as it goes, also yeah, the forearm hinges feel redundant in that sense, feels more like an excessive area just to conceal the hands, when in reality, the general design of the jet mode barely even needs the use of concealment-

update: in terms of the head, the thing that makes it a bit small is the side "cheeks" being more flattened and not as spread out as it should be-

so, there's probably a way to mitigate that, either something like adding a "bushing to let it puff out a bit more- along with having the side spokes to be a bit more sharper, probably the same story with the "crown"

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Lkyle

Lkyle Well-Known Member

The thing is, those forearm panels very closely resemble the design of the bottom of his forearm, because that's what it's supposed to be. His arms in jet mode from the elbow down, are basically just upside down with the hands disappeared, likely inside of the forearm. And because there is literally only one clear shot of the jet mode in the movie, and one known hd image of the jet, from the back only, no one really knows what the jet properly looks like from the front, (there is concept art, but there're still differences between that and the final model) and I kinda don't care if the arms aren't fully accurate in jet mode, so I'm just gonna cut them off

14. Bweep

Bweep Well-Known Member

fair play on that to be sure, because the design is already over the top, subtle details such as those forearm panels can mostly be discarded, and compromise none of the literal aesthetics anyways-

and really, we merely see him go into jet mode for at least thrice, and that was it-

edit: in regards to the forearm panels, they mostly thicken up the width of it, hence why it looks rather awkward when the elbows are facing forward other than being bent a bit whilst facing outwards, it generally gives it more bulk that wasn't even prominent within the design, both on jet and robot mode- (the backpack is already fine to ignore with the wings and whatnot, but the arms really stick out on looking like swollen tumors-

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  15. TylerB

TylerB Well-Known Member

My Honey Badger arrived, so I need to get rid of this. $95 shipped within U.S

16. Cold Mango Juice

News Credits:
    @GrimlockPrime19

17. Bweep

Bweep Well-Known Member

Has there been some updates in terms of the arm panels? along with the head crests as of now?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Lkyle

Lkyle Well-Known Member

Sorry, nothing yet, I've been busy with uni assignments and stuff so I haven't had a change to do any more cutting or sanding, but I'll update as soon as it's done

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bweep

Bweep Well-Known Member

upload_2021-9-17_13-53-2.png

So, when i got my Megs out, i decided to simply cut out this part since this was merely extra bulk that wasn't needed for the final rendition for the forearms, i'll likely also get rid of the panels from the other side to further slim down the silhouette of the forearm itself- that, and it was completely unnecessary to have them to begin with

next task at hand is to also mod the head in terms of the extra panels on the cheeks for a more accurate representation- and making it less rounded as it looks at the moment-

• Like Like x 2
  20. Cold Mango Juice

News Credits:
    Looking good!

• Like Like x 1