AOE Voyager Optimus Prime Evasion Mode

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ChErikS, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    mine's falling apart. his left leg's shin panel is coning off the pin everytime i transform him.

also does anyone know how to take the gas tanks off?

EDIT: killed two birds with one stone, unscrew the knee and pull on the outside of the shin and the gas tank and part of the shin can pull out with some force. rescrewing it and pushing on the shin will keep it tight.

2. Mattress T

Mattress T Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Kmart exclusive?

3. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Prelude: The official name of this toy is Evasion Mode Optimus Prime, but for the multi-language box it was sold in here in Germany the term was translated (using the term loosely). Thus the German name for this toy is actually “Missionsmodus Optimus Prime” (Mission Mode Optimus Prime) and the Swedish name is “Fintläge Optimus Prime” (Fine Mode). The rest is mostly accurate (boring).

Robot Mode: Optimus Prime is a Voyager-sized figure, rather slender, but tall. It is far more streamlined than previous Voyager-class Movie Primes, having no backpack and very little kibble. This is, of course, partially because of a much smaller truck mode (see below), but it still gives us one of the best-looking Movie-style Primes yet, in my opinion. Articulation is excellent, no complaints here at all, and the same goes for the detailing. One thing I really want to emphasize is the excellent paint job. A strong, deep red, a vivid blue, and even the grey parts are actually painted grey instead of being unpainted grey plastic. We have certainly come a long way from the desolate days of the Dark of the Moon toyline here.

For a weapon Optimus Prime comes with the shotgun-like cannon he took from Megatron at the end of Dark of the Moon to execute a helpless Sentinel Prime. Which also brings us to my one real complaint about this figure: the weapon’s handle. The shotgun features a pretty realistic-looking handle... which has a round handle attached to its bottom so Optimus’ standard fists-with-holes can actually hold it. This makes it look like he isn’t holding the gun so much as balancing it on his closed fist. Would have looked much better to either give Optimus the correct hands to hold the realistic looking handle or to get rid of that and just put the round one on.

Despite the weapon thing, this is one gorgeous figure. Great design, great proportions, no kibble, great paint job. So two thumbs up for the robot mode.

Alternate Mode: I can still remember the devastation when it was first revealed that in the 2007 movie Optimus Prime would not transform into a Freightliner cab over engine semi-truck, but rather the long-nosed Peterbuild 379 model. With flames, even. Countries fell to ruin, entire cities were swallowed by the Earth, and the sun didn’t rise for ten days... or something like that, maybe I’m not remembering it quite right. Anyway, all those who despaired over the choice of truck models back then can now rejoice, for they were always right in saying that a Movie-styled Optimus Prime can transform into the familiar boxy Freightliner semi-truck model.

It’s actually quite an amazing feat of engineering how the rather tall robot described above can fold his upper body together into what is basically a red square. Sure, the chest windows from the robot mode aren’t the actual truck windows (actually nothing on Optimus’ chest is anywhere near the truck’s front) but that doesn’t take anything away from this great bit of transformation here.

The truck itself is basically a recreation of the truck the original G1 Optimus Prime transforms into, and not really that much larger, either, despite coming from a rather tall robot figure. It has a double smokestack on one side instead of two single ones on either side, but that’s about it in terms of differences. You can stash Optimus’ rifle on the back or plug it in on top, neither option looks very good, though. I recommend leaving it aside. So bottom line: a very nice semi-truck mode. Superbly done.

Remarks: At the start of the Age of Extinction movie Optimus Prime is damaged and in hiding. To escape detection he has scanned a new vehicle form, a rusty old semi-truck, and is hiding out in an abandoned movie theater because... well, so that the human actors can make some lame jokes about old people diapers, sequels, and reboots, I guess. Anyway, later in the movie Optimus scans a much more modern, sleeker-looking truck, but this toy here represents his initial look and is, of course, homage to the original G1 Optimus Prime’s look. Also, a strong candidate for most repainted figure in the AoE toyline, as we already have at least seven versions of it between Hasbro and Takara-Tomy. Plus at least two third party upgrades for it on the way.

My dislike for the live-action movies (except the first one) aside, I really like this toy. What we have here is the perfect mix between nostalgia and the modern Movie style, plus a very nice paint job (not a given after the Dark of the Moon toyline) and no flaws except that gun handle thing, which is easily remedied. Just give him another gun if it bothers you. So the bottom line here: if you buy just one figure from the Age of Extinction toyline, buy this one (or one of his repaints).

Rating: A

4. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    It is a pretty cool figure. Looks cool in both modes. Crazy transformation. But I also think he is a bit over rated. It is probably the best voyager movie prime but not the best voyager Optimus prime figure.

5. stprime

stprime THE コンボイ that the Matrix refused

News Credits:
  6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I dunno. Outside movie Primes what is there? Classics, TFA Voyager, and Prime's Voyagers? Classics is too kibbly, curse of being old. TFA has the awkward faceplate gimmick and crummy knees. PRID Ops is easily below this one for many reasons. The only real contender is FE Optimus, but even then the shoulders and legs/feet don't solidly lock in. This toy not only has great proportions, transformation and articulation, but it's dead solidly held together. The only possible shortcoming is the somewhat odd way the gun is held. Nothing comes apart by accident when posing, and there's virtually zero kibble. I dunno if it sweeps into first place, but I can't think of many strong contenders.

7. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd have to say Takara FE Prime is my favorite, ranking above this Evasion Prime.

Which is kind of unfair, as that would somehow imply Evasion Prime is 'lesser' when he's actually really, realy good. And smart. And fun.

I actually can't put either one of these figures down.

8. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Evasion is about 3rd place on my voyager Optimus list.
    1 animated Optimus prime and 2 is fe prime Optimus prime. Both are accurate in both modes and are easy to transform but satisfying to do. Evasions issue is it looks good mold wise in both modes but the transformation is a bit to fiddly and paint app placement isn't the best but other versions improve on the deco issues. Also the megatron gun is nice but after seeing the movie I rather have the tri barreled gun.

9. quantumhawk

quantumhawk Retired Allspark Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought this mold had a critical transformation joint built around a painted transparent piece? Doesn't that make it a time bomb?

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Uh... no? There are parts on clear hinges, but only half the hinge is clear and none of the pieces have any great amount of stress on them. It's just the chest panels, which only sit on top of eachother. They're not holding anything together.

Also, people like to oversell the fragility of clear plastic. Yes it's more fragile, no it is not going to break no matter what. If that was true clear plastic would never be used.

11. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Broke down and got a regular retail hasbro version yesterday. I was waiting for a face plate version, but I didn't want voyager grimlock and from what I'm reading the autobots united set is a ways off.

Well holy crap this guys is awesome. The amount of articulation and it's effectiveness is amazing. I am totally blown away by what they were able to do in the transformation and overall engineering. Sure the paint apps could of been better but the figure is too fun to get hung up on that.

He's surpassed all other voyager optimus figures for me. I put the arttek optimus rifle on him and he looks great with it. I might double dip on the mold for a face plate head.

12. Transmorph633

Transmorph633 Drifter

News Credits:

Hmm both seem like really good choices. If I don't go for the shapeway I prob just hunt down a DOTM prime.

13. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    This worries me too because the breakages that did happen seemed to happen on figures handled carefully. I just move the clear parts very slowly and try not to add tension to them. The instructions don't help either. It's a shame because aside from the clear parts, I find it to be one of the best movie voyagers since 2007.

14. Wars

Wars I ate the WHOLE plate

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You could always put up a thread in the Wants forum looking for just the weapon, save you having to buy a whole other figure

15. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream HE PULLS THE STRINGS AND HE MAKES THEM RING

News Credits:
    It severely limits his elbow articulation, sadly.

16. Slimshadow457

Slimshadow457 Well-Known Member

What clear parts?

Anyways, I broke down too and got this bad boy... Yeah, believe the hype. He really is one of the best voyager toys to date. Looks freakin' amazing in both modes. I don't like the forearms though. Elbows don't bother me. Everything else just rocks. I got him and High Octane Bee today, and both form a very neat scale. Might bust out some DOTM toys to make an even scale! Right off the bat, DOTM Ironhide's perfect.

Isn't that one of the most stolen things form DOTM Prime? I remember in my store none were left with their guns on the pegs. The window made it too easy to take the thing out. I sold my Prime and bought Deluxe Soundwave off ebay instead... Best decision I ever made. I'll diffo take some pics of Prime.

17. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream HE PULLS THE STRINGS AND HE MAKES THEM RING

News Credits:
    The hinge for his ab grille piece is painted clear plastic.

18. Slimshadow457

Slimshadow457 Well-Known Member

Oh. And do you guys think it'll break? It doesn't exactly feel like it's got a lot of pressure on it...

19. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Damn that shapeways gun is sweet, but it's a lot of money for just an accessory. You could indeed get a whole voyager dotm Prime for that much and have money to spare.

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    His clear parts with hinges on have broken. Several people reported theirs breaking early on, even through careful transformation. It was something that put me off buying the figure for a while, even though it had been on my to-buy list since the first reveal of it. But I'm glad in the end I decided to still take the plunge as it's a great figure, certainly the standout highlight of the AoE line. Mine is thankfully still breakage-free, but it's definitely something to always be mindful of when manipulating those pieces.