AOE Voyager Grimlock

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ChErikS, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

I have very little hope since even his Leader class looks like his Voyager up scaled.

2. DECIBILL

DECIBILL Member

The two toys are are at a different scale, with different sculpts, different articulation and each have a different transformation. The Leader is not an upscaled version of the Voyager, not by a log shot.

3. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

I wasn't saying it was, clearly. I was saying how simple even the Leader class one was. Duh. It's obvious it's not the same toy, that doesn't mean it's as well done as any of the other previous Leader class figures. :rolleyes2 

Heat Guy is talking about hoping that if they release another Grimlock that he will be better done. My comment is that even the Leader class one looks like an upscaled Voyager so I wouldn't "hold my breath" for something much better then that, mostly because Hasbro is now all about the low complexity of their toys. Which also means we're going to be getting things about as detailed as these guys from now on (or at least that's what everything from the movie line is suggesting. Maybe by the end of the year they might give in and start releasing better moulds/sculpts of these guys but I HIGHLY doubt that since it's not cost effective).

4. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I don't think that's a fair comparison for G1 Grimlock taking into account that it was a piloted mecha in Diaclone meant to look like a robotic t-rex and it was designed in the late 70's or early 80's. If we are going to say it's a lousy toy than that makes most of G1 lousy and I think for their time, most were good toys.

The only thing this toy and the G1 version share is the name. 1 is a design originally from Takara meant for a toyline and the other is based on a design probably from ILM destined for movie screens. Very different apples and oranges.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Actually you kind of did.

No need to be so defensive.

Also, you didn't say any of that. You said it looks like the Voyager upscaled. It isn't, not even close. The Voyager's robot mode arms are more complex than the leader's, while the leader's robot legs are more complex than the entire voyager they way they turn inside out.

That's actually a boo-boo on my part. I meant to say "lousy T-rex" not "lousy toy." Like back in the 80's Prowl or Jazz would've looked like real cars I bet. Today they're pretty gappy and have numerous little design flubs, but back then? That's pretty bang-on. Grimlock has so such saving grace for the inaccuracies of his dino mode, and it hurts his robot mode, too.

6. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    But the problem with this is that he's supposed to be a ROBOT dinosaur. These guys aren't Beast Wars...they're clearly supposed to be robots, so issues with details are expected...nay, required even. The don't HAVE to mimic real dinosaurs in any way.

As far as the posture which I assume is the biggest sticking point, we have to remember that the upright posture for a T-Rex was accepted by the public until 1990, when the status quo was changed by Jurassic Park. The parallel posture had been accepted since 1977, but such a revelation wasn't made to the public(and toy manufacturers) until quite a long time. The inaccurate posture makes sense as that was the accepted look of the dino, and how would Takara-Tomy known at the time about the accurate posture considering it wasn't very public knowledge at the time?

7. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    You're right, the point is that all of this invalidates the whole dumb "at least g1 grimlack looked like a real trex l0l!1" discussion. They're both robot alien transforming dinosaurs.

8. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream HE PULLS THE STRINGS AND HE MAKES THEM RING

News Credits:
    Except if you look closely it actually does look very complex. Look at the legs and the dinosaur torso.

....But the Leader Grimlock was, obviously, designed around the same time as the Voyager. The class doesn't make a difference.

In the first movie, all the toys were pretty bad representations of the characters. All of them. Optimus looked like an upsized, repainted and chopped up G1 Optimus in robot mode. Even the sculpting was cartoony. Just go look at the first two Bumblebees.

Cut to 2 years later, the very second movie, and we have one of the greatest Primes of all time. Then one year after that we have a fantastic Ironhide (except too small).

His point was that this is their first try at Grimlock, or the new Optimus, Crosshairs, etc. In a fifth movie, if those characters and designs are still around, Hasbro is more likely to make better ones, since they're getting used to the designs.

9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or possibly in the toyline's 2015 sub-line, if it ever makes it that far (we all know how DotM turned out).

Contrast the original RotF Deluxe Sideswipe with the later Hunt for the Decepticons Sidearm Sideswipe. Or the release of Voyager Battle Blades Optimus Prime in the same sub-line, versus a repaint of the 2007 Voyager Prime near the beginning of RotF.

10. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Hell, compare Cannon Bumblebee to Battle-blades.

I cna't believe people aren't still up-to-speed with this process. They almost never get a design right on it's first go. It's damn near impossible when the movie designs aren't finalized until late. The original movie Megatron had his head changed so late, his legends figure couldn't be changed. Jetfire's mouth was also so late, NONE of his toys had it.

11. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's also RotF Leader Megatron.

That toy is spot-on accurate... to the original design. The winged shell-tank and filled out left arm came about later in the design process.

It takes, at the absolute least, about 9 months to go from paper to physical toy. The average working period is about a year. Generally two years for the toyline concept as a whole. So when you've got a movie in development, where the designs can remain somewhat fluid for any number of reasons, the toy designers don't have the luxury of remaining up to date at every step of the process. They've got to find a point in that design process where they feel "close enough", and start at work doing their own thing. The on-screen designs may change anywhere and anytime within that ~1 year design cycle, but the toy designs will continue on with the original plans, or else too many revisions will put the whole schedule out of whack.

12. Prime Jetscream

News Credits:
    Yeah, and on the opposite end of the spectrum, Evasion Optimus is phenomenal since Hasbro has been doing that Prime design for four years, up to DOTM.

13. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Even though it needs a completely different transformation for a totally different alt mode.

14. Prime Jetscream

News Credits:
    And it's accurate to AOE, except the paint job.

15. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    really?!

I would love to see a pic or early design pics of that. I actually LOVE leader megatron.

16. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Fall Passions

News Credits:
    Actually the In-Box photos show him with gradient green only on his torso.
    The rest is gray/black/Silver.

Making him ALOT More accurate.

17. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  18. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout TF Fan Artist

News Credits:
    The engineering on Voyager Grimmy looks okay but I still can't get past the sculpting - it's very rounded and simple-looking, almost like it's just one step above the kid-friendly stuff (Rescue Bots being what jumps most prominently to my mind).

I think I'll stick with the leader class.

19. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    gives me the feel of grimlock more than any G1-inspired one does. this guy actually looks like a no-nonsense brawler who relies on force as opposed to G1 grimlock who's a vague rearrangement of t rex parts into a non descript pile of blocks.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
  20. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    oh man, how cool would it be if his butt kibble (the dino jaw) split in half dotm sentinel-style?