AOE Voyager Grimlock

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ChErikS, Mar 30, 2014.

1. ChErikS

ChErikS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Transformers Age of Extinction – Voyager Grimlock

So Grimlock… this was the voyager I was super excited for. It was kind of a let down. I really expected, based on the photos that have been released so far, that this would be the Grimlock I would leave in dino-mode with the Leader version being the one that would stay in bot mode, but now in hand I’m really hoping the Leader version’s T-rex is better.
    [​IMG]
    Bot mode:
    So the samurai influences are overwhelming. He looks like a very large and powerful bot, but in no way really evokes any sort of the traditional influences that normally scream Grimlock. The closest thing is that the arms are made of the dino’s legs and the legs are formed from the dino’s tail.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He has great articulation and everyone will have a lot of fun posing him in many fun ways. His legs are sold enough and with the large heels on his feet you can pull off a lot of different positions.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    His arms can be a bit of a pain to pose just because of the kibble from his feet handing on to the sides. They also limit the positions you can put his weapon in.
    His weapon!!! Ok, got to give them one for originality since no Grimlock or almost any TF I can think of has come with one of these. Thing is huge, but since it only has the one grip where he can hold it with it very much limits what you can have him do with it. Would have preferred Grimlock’s traditional weapons.
    [​IMG]

Transformation:
    You will most likely not need the instructions as it’s a fairly obvious transformation. Only part that is difficult is getting the dino head to line up across his back and properly hide his bot mode head, but still nowhere near the challenge that voyager Prime was.

Dino mode:
    Ok, so this was really the let down for me as I was really excited about the T-rex mode of the voyager Grimlock since I thought it looked much better that the leader Grimlock, but he was a bit of a let down.
    [​IMG]
    First off his front chest, where his arms are, do not lock in any way, they just float so keeping them even with each other can be difficult.
    Second is that his tail is obviously just his legs folded back, there’s no real attempt to get them to fit in to each other in an effort to make them a little more streamlined. In fact his legs only connect at one point so they’re constantly coming apart if you’re trying to pose him.
    [​IMG]
    His dino head is very cool, but the jaw has to stay open. I haven’t found any way to get it to stay closed it always springs back open. Luckily his ears/horns are articulated so you can fold them completely flat down if you want the traditional T-rex visual instead of the horned version in the film.
    [​IMG]
    Extending the tail using his weapon is an official mode shown in the instructions. When I first saw it I thought it was very silly looking but once I did it I actually ended up preferring it. Makes his tail look sleeker and keeps his legs completely locked together.
    [​IMG]
    Overall I’m happy with Grimlock, but I’m really hoping that the Leader version is a big improvement.
    [​IMG]

And some comparison pics to my very beat up G1 Grimlock:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Again with the advance releases.

3. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I actually like how Grimlock has a form of Samurai look to him. It fits his character in a way.

Are you going to do comparison pic of him next to FOC Grimlock?

4. LoC Soundwave

LoC Soundwave 俺の魂は燃えていない!

News Credits:
    Wrist swivels? Did not expect that after the pics we got at toyfair. That saves the toy for me and I might just have to pick one up now.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Dissapointed about the tail.

But damn if he's not just so striking. I'm deffinitely grabbing him.

A lot of these in-hand accounts are changing my "meh"-itude towards the AOE line to genuine excitement.

Pretty pleased that we're two for two on wave one of Voyagers.

6. FMA1987

FMA1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very interesting but will probably still pick up esp to get the core figures from the new movie

7. LDM

LDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Any comparison with recent voyagers for size?

8. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    What else do you have?

9. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    If Grimlock does not get a carwash in the Movie it will be strange to me to have him be so different in colour from most source materials - heck he looks ore like the unreleased G2 colour concept with tiger traipses than anything else.

But I suppose the bonkers colour matches the other Dinos who are also bonkers and the gold does remind me a little of Transmetal Megatron and Bludgeon.

I find it a bit distracting how much he looks like The Shredder though.

10. tonyformer

tonyformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good review and the toy looks a whole lot better here!!

11. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Looks decent, would buy if I still collected anything but classics and or Optimus Primes

12. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Have to say, I'm not impressed too much with the size of the toy. Not a bad looking figure, and if this is the guy who's gonna be in the 2-pack with Energon Grimlock then it's the one I'll be getting, but i wanna see what the Leader class has to offer.

13. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The G1 looks better :) 

14. nonexistent

nonexistent Well-Known Member

Any comparison pics with him beside evasion prime? Is he much bigger? I am debating whether to get the voyager grimlock or the leader version for scale display purposes. However the leader version will make him too big with his deluxe counterparts. But the leader size will scale better with voyager and deluxe figures.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Which one looks more like an actual T-rex?

Considering G1 Grimlock's size, he's actually quite large.

16. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    Wow, gotta say these reviews are changing my mind about AOE so far. Well, with Optimus at least, there was never any doubt I'd be buying up Grimlock stuff like no tomorrow.

Despite some obvious flaws in the toy it's still a lot better than I thought it'd turn out to be, and I love the horns on his head being able to flip down that far and create a more "classic" looking T-rex mode and in the pictures at least they camouflage really well with the colors of the main body.

And probably overlooked it or maybe it hasn't been asked yet but how'd the user get hold of all these early AOE toys?

17. Driftveil

Driftveil You find me offensive

My wallet curses AOE.

Man, I can't wait to get my hands on these guys only to PAINT them.

Ughuguhguhguh.

They would all look so good movie-accurate ;-;

18. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

Hate it

19. NoahOfTheBoro

NoahOfTheBoro Is A Turtle

News Credits:
    One question: How did he get this in advance?

20. mobie1325

mobie1325 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hmmmm.... How can this happen.... advance releases... this guy might have connections.....

:cry