AOE toys off to slow start. 50% of DOTM pre-release levels.

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by signals3, Jun 3, 2014.

1. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

Well considering they are just now starting to show up in Fort Worth, TX I wouldn't worry just yet. Wish we could get some more in. It's just ones and twos, here and there.

2. darkshot8

darkshot8 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think when they mentioned Captain America 2 and Spider-man 2 they were referring to the cheessy movie line figures.. like spider-man driving a car or something (why would spider-man drive a car?!?!?!) Just look at Marvel legends for those lines... They flew off the shelf. And with transformers, I think they are also referring to the dumb one step transformers that no one likes. I feel like voy and delx and even leader AOE TFS are doing fairly well. Hasbro and these big movie companies want put all these dumb action figures, that not even the little kid me would of ever wanted.

3. highlander3000

highlander3000 Jump around!

News Credits:
    The only toys from this line I have bought (and will buy) are the Dinobots. I think they're actually decently designed (especially Scorn) although overpriced. I know Hasbro has been looking for a balance between complexity and simplicity of transformation. I actually think that maybe a Beast Wars level of articulation would be sufficient. Most of those were relatively simple to transform and looked good in both modes (especially most of the transmetals). That series seemed to have a good appeal to both kids and collectors. Maybe focusing on one good line like that (and a collector's line of Masterpieces) might be the best way to go.

4. Lion

Lion Aloha

Ebay:
    There's not much this line has to offer (me) yet. I've been "kinda" interested in leader Grimlock, maybe evasion mode prime, but purchased nothing yet. Money has gone to 3rd party, mp grim, and godzilla....
    Plus this movie line has screwed me in the past with soundwave and que figs, gi joes doing kinda the same thing with w5 of the retaliation line....

5. signals3

signals3 Frightfully Important

News Credits:
    Is the DOTM reference sarcasm? That line was cancelled.

6. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I work at Toys R Us and I have noticed the same thing many of you have, the generations stuff is selling well. It's selling quite a bit better than non movie generations (this is just an observation at my store). The other stuff is going nowhere. I do think the toys needed to be easier than they were. I think it was more a case of the transformations being too time consuming as opposed to being too difficult. While that's great for us mostly older collectors, imagine little Billy only has 30 minutes to play with his friend...and he brought ROTF leader Prime. He might get him transformed in that time, but he won't be able to play with him. I think the current generations is the way to go, and bring back the legion class toys too...

7. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well yeah, all I see is those stupid pull back Dino rider things, the new Fast Action Battler toys that no one wants, and those wastes of plastic Titan class figures.

What the hell did you think was gonna happen?!

8. ATLMYK

ATLMYK Well-Known Member

This just in, crap sells like crap.

9. Griffin73

Griffin73 Commander

It's true. We used to get new characters all the time, and people bought them. I think toy companies have just gotten lazy. They decided they could just get by with making a few toys and focusing on those instead of creatively coming up with new ways to sell a diverse canon of characters. GI Joe died because it was the same ten guys over and over again. These marketing brainiacs that run these brands never loved these toys, this is just a job to them. They don't feel any ownership over the brand. They have to love for the legacy or what they mean to young kids, let along the collectors. Some of these brands need a fresh start, but the gaming industry has killed action figures. That's the brutal truth.

10. Lody666

Lody666 Brother of Bruticus

News Credits:
    Call it what you want

The ONLY reason for poor sales is the dismal selection because of Hasbros commitment to hunks of non pose able plastic and ones with 1 and 3 step conversions along with a slew of other crap that no one wants.

Think about it

Have you seen anything in your store moving from the AOE line except for Bumblee, Crosshairs, Slug, Scorn, and the larger OP and Grimlocks?

11. Antimatter

Antimatter Well-Known Member

They definitely should bring back the legion/legends class back, they should've been focusing on those instead of the gimmicky one step transformation line, or the dino sparkers. The Titans are goofy, but they sell well.

For my part, I'm voting with my wallet and buying the Dinobots because I am quite pleased with bright colors instead of dull grey movie accuracy.

Around here, everything is still basically gone from the Christmas rush, just shelfwarming stuff from Beast Hunters/Predacons Rising, and the first couple waves of the Generations legends two packs post-data discs. Toys R Us has movie Generations toys, I've seen the occasional Swerve or Whirl/Rhinox, but it's mostly stuff from late 2013 or the kitschy stuff aimed at little kids. I do feel like something went wrong with their marketing to the younger audience, even though it was a perfectly valid choice.

12. Lody666

News Credits:

Your observations are very accurate and reflect pretty much what everyone is seeing.

13. signals3

signals3 Frightfully Important

News Credits:
    Well, at my local wal-mart, generations and AOE deluxes now retail for 9.97, so at least the prices for these are somewhat back to normal.

14. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    This just confirms my theory that sales are failing because Hasbro didn't do [particular thing I wanted]! If they just did [particular thing I wanted] they'd be swimming in money now!

hasblo hire me

15. Maroyasha

Maroyasha IOU A Title

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think it's the fact kids haven't seen any thing but trailers. I was in the store yesterday. While I was contemplating over whether to get Whirl or Rhinox (I got Rhinox) at least 2 kids came by with their parents. They payed no attention to the movie stuff. They went straight for left over Prime/Beast Hunters and Platinum stuff. That was only 2 kids though. So IDK

16. Lody666

News Credits:

Sorry, but yeah I agree with the wallet issue.

I am not paying retail for ANY of these figures because they will be half price when (not IF) they hit retail.

The only thing I have bought was the Classic Grimlock set and and three of the G1 characters from the micro changers.

I'm not getting roped in anymore. Sorry Hasbro, I'm onto your game now.

17. MechaV

MechaV Not as bad as you think.

News Credits:
    See, this is why we need Cyberverse.

Simple, cheap, fun toys for kids. Generations for the older set.

18. soundWAV

soundWAV New Member

Smaller size and simplified Transformations should equal at least more paint apps, don't get me wrong I was a little on the fence about the Transformers being simplified. However out of the two Transformers from the new line that I own I have to say that I am not particularly bothered that they are simplified, I am not at all worried about the paint missing of one side of Crosshairs. And I am not sure if it is the norm that people do not like Galvatron, I for one love him, he is perhaps one of my favourites that I have.

I think for me the problem lies in the paint, these figures are missing the simplest paint apps and these figures need them. I live in the UK and I find it quite upsetting that to my knowledge the deluxes have know become exclusives and my local Toys R Us was closed down to make way for the new B&M's. I always thought that the focus on Transformers has always been about the mainline toys.

Another thing is the bad choices, they started off the line with an all Autobot wave which should have had at least one Decepticon in it. But also the fact that not a single Deception is a leader class. We need at least a leader class Galvatron of Lockdown. Not a leader class bumblebee. I understand that the original target audience were kids, but that was in 1984 and now those kids are adults. [​IMG]

19. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    My local walmarts still don't have all the figures put out yet so all of it is a bit misleading

20. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ONCE THE MOVIE COMES OUT, the toys will sell.