AOE toys off to slow start. 50% of DOTM pre-release levels.

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by signals3, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

There's not much stock on store shelves other than TRU, and even TRU has given up on trying to keep the categories separated. The Generations deluxes are blended in with the similar sized younger targeted toys, all spread across the pegs meant for both, meaning prices are scattered. The Leaders and one steppers are intermingled. People that don't know SPECIFICALLY what they are looking for are utterly baffled.

And sadly, TRU is the ONLY store in town to get anything other than the once a week they are restocked. Target tries, but if you don't catch them on restock day, it's gone and it isn't getting restocked until next week. Someone, somewhere, dropped the ball. I'm sure sales would be down anyway due to a little less discretionary income being available to a lot of folks right now, but people are clearly TRYING to buy these toys and the stores can't or won't get enough stock to keep them on the shelves.

I wouldn't even know where to begin analyzing that problem.

2. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    No it won't. Not with the shit toys we got for the Movie. The mainline stuff is now a subline and doesn't command the presence it did before because Hasbro is trying to push dumbed down toys with higher profit margins and saying it's because kids want simpler stuff. Welcome to the new age of corporate douchebaggery. If the majority of the AoE toyline goes to pot and bargain bins, and more or less crashes and burns I will be a happy Calabastard, as maybe then Hasbro will learn to not spite the lines fans in favor of corporate greed.

3. SSR

SSR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it took me 10 minutes to stop laughing at this post.

4. thewiredknight

thewiredknight Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Poor Topsin and Twintwist.

Though seriously I do agree with this. I do think there was a happy medium in complexity vs design that Hasbro isn't finding now. I've heard the complaint that Transformers have become too complex for YEARS, lots of people saying the can't figure out how to transform the new stuff and it takes too long. And while I agree they are more complex than they used to be, the easier ones are easier than they used to be. Most old Transformers were not a 3 step process, often it was closer to 6-10 which is much more manageable in terms of time to play with them. Although 3 steps is workable the mold of the figure suffers, whereas I think 6-10 would have been a happy medium rather than this odd route of making toys for both extremes.

5. sideswipeprime*

sideswipeprime* Cybertronian

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My target still hasn't gotten these. I hope they learned their lesson and make better figures.

6. MechaV

MechaV Not as bad as you think.

News Credits:
    I see the mainline stuff flying off the shelf, but all the superflous crap hanging around wherever I go. They need to tighten their focus, stop trying to cast such a wide net.

7. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is this the disguised version of the real reason TF4 toys are slacking? Cause I could have sworn the term was "crappy figures fatique". :p  hehe

All jokes aside. Analyst are thinking out their nargis again. Strictly speaking for TF toys, movie figs are flying off the shelves in most places. It's absurd to think just because on a global scale Has/Tak isn't making trillions, that their toys are suffering from any form of fatigue (with the exception of the one I mentioned above :lol ). Granted some figs will sell like hot cakes (movie figs, recent releases of MP figs) and others won't (YotH Armada Supreme Starscream). Companies will makes mistakes, Has/Tak is no exception (see example previous to this sentence), but over all in scale? Has/Tak is doing just fine.

8. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh and ways to improve;
    - Make the generations line much more accurate and much more detailed, have the generations line keep the complex Transformations that increase the playability. If the toys aren't as complex as ROTF Optimus then you are doing things wrong. The Transformation is a feature of the playability and reducing the number of steps reduces how long a person is playing with your toy and really focusing on your toy.
    - Minimise the amount of Optimus or Bumblebee variants we have. Nobody wants another Bumblebee at this stage, especially considering he is going to be the focus in the next cartoon series also. At this stage it'd be wise killing off Prime and Bumblebee and replacing them with Ultra Magnus and Rodimus just to get some variation.
    - Scrap the one-step Transformers. Kids at that young an age that the one-step Transformers are targeted at will likely not grow up to want to buy Transformers, especially considering they are effectively badly painted plastic building blocks at this stage.

The only things selling will be the Generations figures because Hasbro's audience is Teenagers and Adults - not kids. Teenagers and Adults buy the toys, not the young kids who somehow get in to watch the film (Despite it being aimed at teenagers)

9. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    One of the criticisms I'm seeing mentioned repeatedly here is the difficulty in distinguishing product. Someone should really ask Hasbro about that at BotCon to see if they can answer candidly. That decision to make all packaging similar (too similar) interests me.

How does that translate to a 50% decrease pre-movie release? I don't know.

10. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    I am, I'm buying lots of AOE toys because I think they're awesome.

Oooooohhhhh wait, that's not what you meant, is it?

11. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This ---^ doesn't quite nail it but it comes damn close. When I was a kid you had action figure lines for most blockbuster movies of that era (some even hard R films), so not much has changed, but these days you have summer film slates literally jam-packed with blockbuster/sci-fi/action movies, each with its own particular 'flavor' of toy line. Most of these toy lines following on one another so closely that children don't have time to catch their breath between releases. Further, in most cases you have toy lines from movies several years old either filtered back into current waves or still taking up peg space from two+ years ago, so much so that kids are left confused and inundated with visual noise. Add to this the distraction of video games and you can see where this is going.

Kids from era to era aren't really all that different. They want things to stave boredom and to connect with friends and simply have fun. Video games are simply the latest flavor. And be honest, were any of us children today wouldn't you rather find yourself immersed in a really intense video game than haunt the toy aisles- most of which have already been picked clean by adult collectors? Kids buy Ninja Turtles figures like crazy even today, so it's not that toys aren't appealing. And the aforementioned article even states, kids are buying less of the highly visible four-color comic book hero toys and instead gravitating towards lesser known properties, so blaming toys in general is even a misstep. Truly, the real 'villain' here is the sense of boredom kids feel with the sameness that the summer movie toys (yes, even TF's) represent overall.

There's really no way out of that rut until the summer movie landscape clears out... say by the Fall or early Winter. Will this improve sales of TF's? Probably not as that ship will most likely have sailed. It's the wicked Catch22, that a movie helps sell toys, but too many of the same type of movies kills interest. But by the time the landscape clears out kids don't care as much. And so it goes. Fortunately collectors care year round, so there's that, but we are still left to face the reality that as far as toy sales overall are concerned collectors are a plink in the bucket to Hasbro. So what's the answer? Try rolling out a TF movie during a time of year when the landscape isn't so jam-packed would be my guess.

12. Calabask

News Credits:
    I think they need to rehire all those old designers they fired so they could save a buck and hire people who would make simpler dumber toys that they try to market as the new "in" thing.

13. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What did they expect? The new line is sleazy, poorly designed, over-priced, and hard to find to begin with!
    My local walmat barely released them and there's only like 7 figures on the shelves.
    Slow start? No shit, sherlock.

14. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Aye, I walked into TRU yesterday looking for Evolutions Strafe, but kept getting fooled by all the gimmick line Strafes lining the pegs.

15. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think such rampant speculation is in order until the movie actually comes out..

The movie WILL do well..if the kids buy stuff after that then we will see.

I thought the way they did Winter soldier toys was solid. One wave of stuff to get into kids hands...a pop up display end cap..yea..its not moving..but they didn't take over the entire toy aisle either.

16. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    I think the problem is that the movie toys just look like shit.

I don't see MP Grimlock having a hard time selling out, and that thing is $80.

17. Calabask

News Credits:
    I suspect it is because there is alot of confusion. Take the generations and power battlers, or whathave you. People might be looking for the Generations, but the cards for them and the Power Battlers are pretty much the same, and worse employees put them on the same hooks. So it looks like people may have what you want, but it isn't there. Secondly, with DoTM and whatnot the "Generations Line" was the "Main line" Where as now, the "Generations Line" is a Subline for the Franchise.

Look at stores, most of the pegs are chock /full/ of one step changers, titans, and power battlers, most of which is not selling, and is what retailers are getting the most of. The generations line stuff is not there in force /at all./ And what is there is most of what people have now. Four deluxes, two voyagers, and two "Leaders." It's going to be shelfwarming city out there with this line.

18. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, I haven't seen anything at any store besides their section in the isle. TRU included. Also, while every store had merchandise up the day that other movie lines launched, this time there were several stores that didn't actually put items out until later that week.

As far as myself goes, the dinobots made the AOE line more interesting than DOTM or ROTF lines overall.

19. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    that's true no matter what. Kids are increasingly getting less interested with toys at a younger age.

20. Calabask

News Credits:
    ..Don't remind me of that cocktease. ;_;