AOE toys off to slow start. 50% of DOTM pre-release levels.

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by signals3, Jun 3, 2014.

1. EnerJohn

EnerJohn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well no shit! We're getting mostly Prime and Bumblebee everything. Not to mention, the toys/figures are going way down hill. What were deluxe class back in 07 & 09?? $10.00? Now they're smaller, less paint and $15.00.

2. Lloydacdavies

Lloydacdavies New Member

The character choice for the respective lines might play a part, in the last few years it feels like there's been hundreds of primes and bumblebees which once you've got one why by more, same goes for spider man the latest wave for that had what 100 different spider and two other characters. This is the main kids lines don't really get the collectors stuff where I live.

3. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Much to my surprise, my TRU actually DOES have a big AOE display up.

And IIRC, they had fucking nothing when DOTM came out. Just plopped the stuff there in the "normal" aisle, with no big displays or anything.

So...

4. Bob 121

Bob 121 Well-Known Member

I'll agree with the price, but we've only had a surplus of Primes this time.

5. Starscream0625

Starscream0625 We are Thunderwing

News Credits:
    Welcome to the United States of 2014, where inflation is skyrocketing, while the American people are buying pants with pockets that to their surprise, don't function properly.

On a happier note, perhaps this is due to everyone wanting the PS4 and Xbox 1, which is stealing money from the toy industry. Hopefully, sales will pick up after the movie comes out in theaters. Further, the 8+ label on the AOE figures that children may be interested in may be not allowed by their parents, as said children may be too young.

Unfortunately, I'm putting my money with my first point.

6. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

People tired of the same old shit bayformers, well actually worse bayformers and 1000th repaint of the same body of a 4 inch action figure??

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  7. EnerJohn

EnerJohn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Either way, this is not good.

8. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lets be honest here;
    - The movies are targeted at teenagers
    - The AOE toyline is targeted at children
    - All the current cartoons are targeted at children
    - The new line is overall smaller sized, more expensive and less detailed
    - The release date being delayed in some places means that promotion for the film is minimal in places

They are missing a huge bunch of the market that they previously targeted. What collector would buy terribly painted inaccurate shell-former toys? Where is the enjoyment in buying a Transformer with such a simplistic Transformation? For those who actually buy the toys - why would you want another Optimus or another Bumblebee that is inferior than the prior versions you already have?

As the majority of the older members the 'generations line' is targeted at consider the generations toys still considerably too kiddy compared to the arguably best representation of Optimus Prime that we got during ROTF.

Sure sales will probably pick-up after the film, but their entire focus of their toy line has shifted to aim directly at youngsters and that is a bad thing as its excluding a huge proportion of their audience including those the film series is marketed at.

9. LSyd

LSyd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the 2007 movie and ROTF/HFTD had great toy lines, with clear complexity/price point differences that allowed both the little kids and big kids to get their favorite characters with quality toys, even if some were a pain in the ass to transform. pre-k, legends/legion, deluxe and voyager, and human alliance/leader...and mostly quality toys in looks and feel there.

and i remember the 2007 figures were a pain to find for a long while, which lead to the hype and demand for them. both Jetfires were the same for ROTF.

now cost-cutting seems to have kicked in and the figures seem kind of fugly (i've only seen them on shelves in the US, waiting for them arrive to play with). i wasn't sure which Grimlock to get until i looked at voyager and leader in the store and decided that leader, at least the one available to us now, isn't worth its price.

-

10. 420tron

420tron Mr. Beefy

Exactly.

This is good, the insanity of badly made toys that increase in price but go down in quality must end.
    We all know the TF toys have been getting crummy and more expensive.

I'd be happy if a deluxe was well made and was $20.00 bucks... but the toys need to stay up to par with the old ones. It has to be worth it, Hasbro, you morons!
    Maybe this will hurt the film too, and Bay can go away forever.. although I acknowledge he's a a better choice than many of the othe directors Hasbro was willing to go with. I just wish Bay would grow up as a person and a director, and cut the BS outta these films.

I smell a film franchise reboot with "Beast Wars" characters in 2020 instead of a Bayformers 6 now.
    Paramount won't go forward if the USA market is dead... but TF5 will still happen with Bay.
    Keep in mind DOTM didn't do as well in the US cinemas as ROTF.
    The worldwide market is huge still, as DOTM made most of it's money worldwide.
    My point is were sick of these crappy toys and subpar Bayformer movies.
    The proof is in the sales.

Edit: But seriously, I have a weird love/hate relationship with the movies and even more so with the movie toys.

11. gothsaurus

gothsaurus Evil Overlord of Doom

Ebay:
    I have a few notes for Hasbro why these might be a slow seller...

- These are the same characters AND vehicle modes for four movies straight (going on 5 years?)
    - The over-complex movie designs make the figures look "samey" as toys. It's difficult to tell figures apart, with them often seeming like a mass of gray
    - The new AOE toys look visibly cheap... simple in design, lacking on paint apps — almost like knock offs

Some solutions (with examples of positive changes in the current line):
    - more dramatic vehicle mode changes (like evasion mode Prime)
    - more new characters (like the dinobots)
    - more drastic "power up" color changes (like black bumblebee... or the RID Car Brothers)
    - more recognizable vehicle parts on robot to make them more recognizable/give more personality (like G1 Prowl hood chest or windows on Prime)

That said, there are some positive things happening. I think coloring the dinos different gives them each their own distinct look. (I DO hope they will issue a set of G1 colors later.)

And while the packaging is a bit bland, I LOVE that it is has a VAST reduction in cardboard and carbon footprint. A HUGE tip of the hat to Hasbro for making this happen. I hope it continues across the board for all their lines. Most of us throw the packages away... and those that keep it face the issue of space. It's a win for both casual fans and collectors.

12. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    The movie hasn't come out yet. Sales will obviously pick up once kids start seeing Dinobots and new designs of everybody in theaters. How much is debatable, but sales will pick up.

Hasbro has already acknowledged that fatigue with the same characters getting figures over and over is a problem. Hence their strategy: redesign everybody and introduce Dinobots, which kids will be bound to love and want toys of. DOTM still had Optimus/Bee, etc keeping their same basic appearances and there was no other introductory character that would, for a kid, steal the spotlight from them like the Dinobots likely will.

Even if pre-movie toy sales are down, I'd predict that the post-movie jump will be higher for AOE.

It's just a bit unfair right now to compare the sales to Spider-man and Captain America, where fatigue I can certainly see being an issue, but even more so since those movies are already out. It'll be time to panic if sales are still down 50% a month into AOE's release.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  13. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    compare an AOE deluxe to a dotm deluxe.. same with the voyagers and leaders..

you'll see why some people aren't buying them.

hell.. the repainted leader bumblebee needs a BIGGER BOX than the AOE leaders.. that should tell you everything.

purple triceratops, red spinosaurus, teal/yellow raptor.. kids aren't as stupid as hasbro thinks.

and what about the prices.. almost $16 for a deluxe?.. a deluxe that is significantly smaller than ones from the previous movie in which they were $12.

lastly.. all of the superfluous garbage one steps, flip change, sparkers, riders, whatevers.. i understand wanting to have little kid friendly items in a toy line, i totally do... but CLEARLY they've gone overboard. there's just WAY too much stuff.

but hey.. once the movie comes out, it might turn around a bit.. and hey, maybe they'll get their heads out of their asses and lower the prices.

14. Silvershot

Silvershot On The Double Dutch Bus

News Credits:
    Here's the problem, simply from my perspective. I went to Toys R Us today and they have a HUGE AOE display. In years past, this display would have been mostly what I call "core" figures. By that I mean Deluxes, Voyagers, Leaders, and Scouts/Legends/Cyberverse. To me, that is the core of the toyline and what sells most, or at least what appeals to me the most.

Now, of the tons of toys displayed, there are only 8 core toys - 4 deluxes, 2 Voyagers, 2 Leaders. There are dozens and dozens of other types of merchandise, and only 8 "core" choices. In a sea of product, there is very little inthe way of the core line, whereas in years past, it was the reverse. Tons of core line figures, and a little bit here and there of other merchandise.

I wonder how kids feel with that set-up - maybe it's good for them, or maybe they feel the same as me. But when I see a huge display, and not a big selection that interests me - I have to assume that's a big part of the problem. Just an assumption, but a valid one.

15. jpmonge84

jpmonge84 Member

1: It is not good to have 10 different Bumblebees or 10 different Optimus out there, why don't they focus themselves in putting out one very cool looking figure instead?

2: The 1 Step Changers and all those simplified toys are a very bad move, as a kid I enjoyed taking my time to learn how to transform Shockwave and Grimlock (my first two Transformer toys)... If it was a matter of just hitting them to have them transformed maybe I would be a fan as I am still today 25+ years later.

16. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    AoE launch? Most places around me have gotten just a case or two or the offerings and that's it, no restocks yet. Hardly any product on shelves.

17. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Speak with our dollars. If the toys are less than desirable, the sales will be down. Hopefully Hasbro/Takara will finally 'hear' our feedback and make appropriate changes. If not, rough waters are ahead.

18. Cascadia

Cascadia Mt. St. Hilary

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The aisle is fully stocked in my local TRU to the point where there is no room to put the upcoming Masterpiece figures (Grimlock, Sunstorm and Prowl). When I have gone there, I have not seen figures move off of the shelves as readily as they used to. This gets me wondering about what has been happening since the first live action movie. To me, the figures flew off of the shelves back in 2007 because things were different from what Hasbro did in the past. However, as time past by and through the first three movies, it became the same ol' same ol'. People might have gotten tired of the design of the figures. Also, the figures have gotten smaller and smaller as time past by while the price tags increased. So, it is hard to say if parents and collectors would pay the x-amount of dollars for the figures.

19. thewiredknight

thewiredknight Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is what I have been noticing too. The Generations stuff is selling but most of the rest just sort of lingers. I think Hasbro may have misread its audience here as there is a clear preference for nicer looking figures even if they are more complicated. At the very least they stand out better on the shelves.

To top it off the shelf is just chock full of all sorts of variations of the same character and all sorts of other products leading (I believe) to buyer confusion for parents. To top it off I think the figures did come out too far from the movie to properly capitalize on the release, it's just too far for kids to really want figures just yet. It may bolster finally when the movie comes out but we'll have to see.

On an aside, I do believe the lack of decepticons is a clear problem because if a kid wants to have his toys have a battle he sees a shelf full of good guys but no bad guys for them to fight.

20. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Not surprising considering how shitty most of the AoE figures are.