AOE toys off to slow start. 50% of DOTM pre-release levels.

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by signals3, Jun 3, 2014.

1. signals3

signals3 Frightfully Important

News Credits:
    The US toy industry has a problem, and it’s called “action-figure fatigue.”
    Toy sales tied to a trio of summer blockbusters — “Transformers: Age of Extinction,” “The Amazing Spider-Man 2” and “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” — are off to a sluggish start, one analyst said.
    This is despite that two of the films — “Captain America” and “Spider-Man” — are producing smashing box office results and already rank No. 2 and No. 3, respectively, this year. “Transformers” opens June 27.
    But merchandise associated with the flicks is languishing at big-box retailers like Walmart, Target and Toys ‘R’ Us and is the subject of markdowns that are unusually steep considering it’s so close to their initial release, says BMO Capital Markets analyst Gerrick Johnson.
    That’s because young boys’ toy boxes are already brimming with gear from a host of previous movies filled with the same superheroes, he says.
    “You’ve got all these action figures chasing mind-share, and they’ve all got the same backstory and the same characters,” Johnson told The Post. “Every kid already has Spider-Man and Captain America.”
    The toys licensed around the next “Transformers” film is nearly 50 percent below levels seen before the release of the previous franchise film in 2011, Johnson notes.
    Shares of toy-making giant Hasbro, which holds the Marvel licenses, tumbled nearly 3 percent Monday, to close at $52.18, after the release of the BMO report.
    On the positive side, Johnson said merchandise tied to less heavily milked franchises is doing relatively well.
    Sales of girls’ toys from Disney’s blockbuster “Frozen” have been brisk for Mattel. Jakks Pacific has seen hot demand for its 24-inch Godzilla action figure, he said.

http://nypost.com/2014/06/02/movie-figures-garnering-little-action-at-toy-stores/

Allright everyone....your thoughts? (uh-oh)

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. SegaGenesis

SegaGenesis Headmaster

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Time for a coupon/sale?

3. Bob 121

Bob 121 Well-Known Member

I'd rather just get some GOOD figures.

4. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why do you think DOTM did so well?

Most of my purchases were getting, like, five deluxes for $5 a pop.

5. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Hasbro probably saw this coming. AOE toys launched quietly in the states. Clearly Hasbro didn't budget as much, development or final push. You can tell from all those non-transformable "Transformers" with minimum paint in AOE aisle, this is just cash grab when still can.

6. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Old):
    Tumblr:
    I'd buy more if I could but the shelves are just clogged up with the 1-step, titan, constructbot, dino sparker, and power battler garbage there isn't anything to buy. Any non-movie figures are old stock just now making their way to shelves. I bought Rhinox last year and his wave just showed up.

Movie Generations stuff is all flying off the shelves around me, they just keep taking the empty pegs and filling them with the gimmick figures. So now we've already hit the point where the only deluxes are Bumblebees or the odd Crosshairs.

I'm sure there are others in the same boat.

7. Bob 121

Bob 121 Well-Known Member

That's more than 5x what I paid for a lot of mine. I remember the Target Mobile coupon + Hasbros coupon allowed me to get anything for change. I bought almost the entire line that way. Best thing I can remember about this hobby in years

8. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Banned

News Credits:
    These figures are just such a step back from previous lines that I can't say they don't deserve it. I wanted to at least pick up a Prime figure but they all look like those "bubble bath" dispensers for kids.

9. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The AOE launch had no fanfare whatsoever. With no actual display setups, I had assumed Hasbro was just waiting for the movie to come out- that's when kids go after the toys. Right now, the main like stuff like deluxes and leaders and voyagers were selling off the shelves, but the rest of the gimmicky, kid oriented merchandise was stagnating. Kids might take up a larger chunk of the pie with Transformers, so Hasbro says, but they aren't buying these until they see the movie I would guess.

10. signals3

signals3 Frightfully Important

News Credits:
    The problem I notice, and I have seen this a few times already now, is that people cannot tell the difference between the different sub-lines. I saw a guy pick up a 1-step Optimus Prime and comparing it to ROTF leader prime to his girlfriend. I of course had to open my big fat mouth and tell him that they were out of AOE leader prime, and the one he had was something for little kids. Customer ignorance, yes, but this is up to the product maker to make it clear which one is which. People keep looking at the deluxe size fast action battler type one step things and they think they are the main deluxe line. Jeeesh

11. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I'd go ever farther and say that calling anything about AOE sales before Christmas is a huge mistake.

12. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    This is by design. I mean if you look at the setup in Target or Walmart, first thing a customer sees is them higher profit margin one-step or Titan stuff. But you need to search for Voyagers, usually somewhere on the bottom shelf, barely noticeable spots.

13. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There isn't a whole lot of AoE Generations stuff sitting on shelves around me. Usually about a case worth of regular Generations also, not much more. I can see the point about it being hard to determine if AoE stuff is Generations figures or not, I'd have to look at the peg or scan the barcode and make sure the price matches a Generations price point before being reasonably certain. Not that I buy movie product anymore, but I do "window shop" sometimes.

+-MWG-+

14. Mechafire

Mechafire Tarnished Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Very interesting.

Although perhaps a bit more context is required.

"The toys licensed around the next “Transformers” film is nearly 50 percent below levels seen before the release of the previous franchise film in 2011, Johnson notes."

50% below sales compared to the DOTM toyline as a whole, or 50% below sales compared to just the DOTM toyline's launch?

The former would be preferable to the latter, of course. Because sales may pick up when the movie actually comes out, and we'll have to compare again when the line's run its course.

If it's the latter, though? Not good. Especially since DOTM already sold less than the ROTF line.

And reading it again, the wording of the article does seem to say it is indeed the latter.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out...

15. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    If AOE pulled off in 2 weeks half of what DOTM pulled off in 2 years, this wouldn't even be an article.

The only thing "new" is the dinobots.
    Construct-bots never sold well (My Target still has 60 Bumblebee/Blitzwing/Predaking)
    Kreo hasn't struck me as a strong seller, considering they had to pull that back to just TRU (positive spin on "Walmart and Target don't want anything to do with it"? I think so.)
    Kiddie crap for a PG-13 movie? Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

16. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    Tumblr:
    moar toys for me then if nobody wants them lol

17. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    This is an interesting read. Obviously seeing something as large as a 50% decrease is concerning, but I personally feel it can't be avoided. There's just not the same demand for these toys from kids anymore.

When you have 7 year olds playing video games and surfing the web, action figures in comparison can be somewhat boring.

Action figure fatigue? Maybe it's more of loss of imagination?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  18. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    The three previous films had a huge range of toys with characters that weren't in the movies! Even the Generations line for AOE is to 'kiddy'

19. Slimshadow457

Slimshadow457 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thinks Marvel should've focussed the damn line? I don't mind 'simpler figures' or whatever, but there are like 4 versions of each character on shelves...

Also: Hasbro! Get your SHIT TOGETHER. With DoTM we got the toys same time as the US did. I'm honestly still waiting, now.

20. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I had to re-read the article a few times to understand it, but it's the latter. Essentially, AOE toys are 50% behind the launch of where DOTM was.

From the article: The toys licensed around the next “Transformers” film is nearly 50 percent below levels seen before the release of the previous franchise film in 2011 [Dark of the Moon].