Minor/Repaint: AoE SWOOP!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by shadow panther, Jun 16, 2014.

1. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    We took AoE Strafe and decided to make him a 1 headed Dino, also fixed the curling sideways fists. this was a joint venture between myself and POSSESSED_DIGIT

Attached Files:

2. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 Stop on red but leave on amber Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Beautiful fix! I may need to try that with mine.

3. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    could you do a step by step of how you did his head?

4. swOd

swOd Search and Wrescue

^ Seconded.

5. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Neato, I was wondering when someone would do this :thumb 

6. POSSESSED_DIGIT

POSSESSED_DIGIT WE ARE NUBBY THUMB!!

News Credits:
    HA!! Joint venture. SP makes it sound like we went I to this (or any other if our "joint ventures") with blueprints, schematics, planned details...hahaha. Here's how our usual joint ventures go:
    SP- "I hate how this f__king thing does or doesn't do what I want it to do!!!"
    PD- "I can fix it"
    SP- "sweet"
    PD-(tinkertinkertinker) " how's this?"
    SP- "meh"
    PD-(tinkertinkertinker) "how's this?"
    SP- "SWEET. SHIP THAT SHIT!!"

7. POSSESSED_DIGIT

News Credits:
    I'll see if I can write up a overview of all I did for strafe later tonight. I plan on doing another one of these whenever I get a spare strafe. If I have time maybe I'll snap a few pix during the process...

8. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    cool :thumb 

9. POSSESSED_DIGIT

News Credits:
    Ok. So there were 3 main mods done to turn the 2 headed strafe into a 1 headed swoop. The head, the tail, & the arms. The arms were more for aesthetic reasons tho. But they turned out really nice.

First, let's start with the head. First off, I opened the back up by removing 2 screws, then I removed the tail to access a hidden 3rd screw. That'll get his chest off. Then I removed both dino heads. They are on long necks with hoops on the end. That's how they pivot during transformation. Using the crossbow mount hole on his back, I fashioned a piece of plastic post I had(I have tons of junk pieces, old sprues, etc) to fit snug inside the dino heads neck hoop and also fit in that weapon mount hole. To make it stay in there, I drilled a hole in the new head post and another thru the weapon hole. Then I screwed it in place from inside the chest. And on the other end of the post, I used my soldering iron to melt the post end to form a "head", to keep it on that side. I also used a heat gun to straighten the whole dino neck(each neck has a curve to it to the left or right) so it all faces straight. Also, I glued the head to the neck at the hinge joint & sanded off the hinge. Think that's all I did there...

Next, the tail. Basically, I removed the pin that held the tails on. Next I cut both tails off below the attachment hinge. Then I took a long drill bit & as carefully as I could i drilled a guide hole down the length of a tail to the tip. Then I pushed some wire thru the hole I made & made the tail prehensile. Then I shaped an end link of the tail and bored a hole in it, so it could be used to reattach to the main body. There was a plastic pin holder in the original tail base. I pulled that out & inserted that into my new tail base. All done there. When I revisit this mod I will try to make my tail be able to detach & be used as a whip weapon

3rd mod was the hands & forearms. SP has a big pet peeve about "groper hands". That's when the hands face palm up when you bend the elbow joint, like it's trying to "cop a feel" lol. And it seems like strafe was designed to have...something going on in his hands & arms, but was scrapped for whatever reason, leaving him with hollow forearms and gropers. But I realized early on that if strafes wrists could turn, then his sword handles would be in the way of his hand guards. So I devised a really simple piece to fit in the forearm, raise up on a pivot hinge I'd make, & have wrist articulation. All I needs for parts were a couple of reshaped K'Nex pieces(I have tons of those too) and a couple pins. So, first thing I did was pop out each hand. Then I cut off the connectors and jammed the little bits back in the arm to fill the gap a little. Then I took my dremel & bored a tiny hole in the wrists. Next I got 2 knex pieces - a small black connector, & a ball joint hinge that can hold a connector piece. I sanded down the ball joint end & rounded them off a bit. Then I sanded them a little bit thinner at that end so they'd fit inside the forearm. Working inside each forearm, I dremelled out the forearm (mostly that arm bracing inside toward the elbow) and fit the knex piece deep in there. Then I dremelled a hole all the way thru the forearms(near the elbow end) and knex piece & inserted a metal pin. Now the forearms are filled, & hinged to raise up a bit. Now, working with the small black knex connector piece, I cut an end off of each & dremelled holes inside lengthways. Then I found some screws. I screwed 1 end into each wrist, cut the heads off each screw, then inserted the other end into the knex connector & twisted them together. Now each wrist can rotate using the knex connector inside the other knex piece inside the forearms. And they can raise up a bit to allow holding of weapons. It also makes his original forearms look more like arm gauntlet armor, & the knex parts are his actual forearms.

I know this was long winded, but I was trying to be thorough considering all I did & the lack of detailed pix. Maybe if I have time & patience I can take some pix of the process when I try this again with my spare strafe. Whenever that shows up. I'm not sure ill do the head the same way. That was the easiest way to quickly mount the head to the body, & SP liked how it worked. I'd prefer more articulation somehow, & maybe mounting the neck lower in the body instead of on his back. Plus I like strafes "cape look". And this head mount gets in the way of folding the wings down. Not sure what I'll do.

Any questions feel free to ask either myself or shadow panther. Or if you need me to elaborate more please ask away!

10. MonaLazaBeak

MonaLazaBeak <Witty saying goes here>

Nice job! I might have to try this myself!

11. Effion

Effion It's also a gun

This is awesome! Thanks for the details on how you did it, I'm gonna need to try something similar, those groper hands just won't do for melee!

12. POSSESSED_DIGIT

News Credits:
    It's not as complicated as it reads here. Everything I did was pretty easy to do if u have the tools and parts

13. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    thanks for all who looked at this

14. POSSESSED_DIGIT

News Credits:
    Anybody still that interested in any how-to photos or a tutorial? I've never done one so I'm hesitant to try. But I have my strafe & I'm itching to mod him up. I probably won't have time till next week, so if I don't hear anything by the time I have time to bash, I'm gonna just go do it without any tutorial or pics...

15. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd love a picture tutorial. This is something I'd like to do for the SDCC set when it comes out.

16. POSSESSED_DIGIT

News Credits:
    Which part? The head, the tail, the arms, or all 3?

17. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

Can you explain a bit more how you got the chest open?