Minor/Repaint: AoE Strafe, New and Improved Swoop

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by HQJ, Jun 26, 2014.

1. HQJ

HQJ Well-Known Member

I absolutely loved this figure. It's definitely one of my favorite new figures for quite a while. There were a couple things I thought needed a bit of improving though, namely the really strange wrist articulation, the empty forearms, and possibly the wings. Originally I was going to leave him movie colors, but after seeing a G1-colored set of movie Dinos on these forums, I decided I had to at least do Strafe, Swoop always being my favorite Dinobot.

An upper arm from a Legends class Optimus fixed both the strange wrist setup and the gaping forearm holes, and some hip joints added to the wings now allows for some even more awesome poses.

Also went ahead and did up a mini-Scorn, or something.... because I happened to find him in my parts box while assessing joints, and figured I'd have my Dinobot colors out anyway.

Attached Files:

2. Chromia76

Chromia76 Well-Known Member

Dude.... I freaking LOVE this. The colors are really well done, and it looks like they were applied very carefully...they look really smooth. It could pass for a factory paint job very easily. Nice work!

3. swOd

swOd Search and Wrescue

Looks great, man! Can you give some more details on the wrist and wing mods?

4. Death333

Death333 aliases: Dx3, Dr. Whiffington, Hellscr333m

News Credits:
    At first I thought you replaced the arms but now I can see you kept the original arms and stuffed the legends class Prime arms inside. I'm going to swipe this idea because this is my only gripe with the figure. Nice work.

Now to figure out how to rework Slash's arms....

5. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    That's awesome! A lot of G1 Moviedino repaints I've seen have been far too shiny for my liking, your palette is just about perfect. :thumb 

6. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closet otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    See? That's all the articulation I want. Up/down on the wings and correct facing elbows/wrists.

Great job!

7. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    What kind of Legends class Optimus figure did you use in order to make the mod for Strafe and Swoop? Because I want to give that a try. :D 

8. HQJ

HQJ Well-Known Member

Thanks for the compliments guys.

And, as far as the mods, I used parts from the two figures below. The Prime is a cyberverse figure from either RotF or DotM. I've no idea what the plane's from. Just found him in my parts box.... I think it may be HftD. His hip joints are pretty standard though, and are exactly like Strafe's hips. A ball joint with an outer spherical piece.

For the forearms I removed Strafe's hand and cut off the rotating stump thing. I removed the Prime arms and shaved down some of the extra plastic around the shoulder, and cut the lower arm off right above the elbow. Then I removed the truck rear panels containing the shoulder joint from Prime's torso, and cut away must of what was there. As a side effect of the molding, there is a strip of plastic, I suppose a support, right below the ball joint, and I was sure to leave that there. I then filed a thin vertical slit in each of Strafe's wrists. The support strut then fits in quite nicely with some super glue. You could possibly attach the ball joint directly by drilling a hole, but I wasn't sure that would leave enough clearance. The Prime arms then will wedge into Strafe's forearms quite nicely, without even needing glue if you trimmed them correctly. Although I glued them anyway.

For the wings I removed the ball joint and spherical connector from my donor plane, removed the pin from the ball joint, and cut away the rotating post from the connector. Then removed Strafe's wings and trimmed away the inner lip on the wing itself, where it slides over the peg behind the shoulder. Then glued the connector piece from my plane into the slot, making sure it was turned the right way to give the maximum amount of articulation where I wanted it. I drilled a hole the approximate size of the ball joint's support strut into the shoulder post where Strafe's wings snapped on originally and glued the base of the post in there. Repeat with the other side, and Strafe can actually flap his wings.

This mod results in his wings sitting slightly farther back in robot mode, and can throw him off balance unless you pose him carefully, but I thought that the improved wing movement more than made up for it. It also alters the beast mode slightly, since his arms connecting to his wings still would completely undo any improvements. With the ball joint in the wrist though, his hands can fold up far enough that you can tuck them up beside his tail with his arms down along his body, so they at least aren't just sticking out randomly.

Attached Files:

9. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    Wonderful mods. Now you just need to make a version where you get him down to one head and one tail in dino mode.