Minor/Repaint: AOE Slug

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by thebandwagon, Jun 19, 2014.

1. thebandwagon

thebandwagon Well-Known Member

The first of the dinobots that I painted was this Slug figure. It was my least favorite of the dinobots that had been released in the first wave, so I thought I'd try my hand at a repaint, starting with him. Now that's not to say that he is a bad figure, it's just that I'm always a sucker for a Grimlock, and Scorn is a BA little dude. This is my interpretation of his character since we only had the packaging art to go on as of when I began painting, although all of the other figures followed the same painting setup in order to have a cohesive looking team.

I base coated the figure with a matte black paint, then I sprayed a hammered metal effect silver paint over most of the pieces of the base coat. After that, I spent a while dry brushing and washing in various grays, black, rust, and browns over the silver, allowing some of the hammered metal effect to shine through in parts.

I also left the head out of the hammered metal painting as I felt a matte black would help break up the figure a little bit, so I went over the mouth guard plate and the innermost panel of the head with some silver, and then I gave him a red visor. The swords were left matte as well then hand painted over the actual blade portion in the same silver as that on the head.

Feel free to leave a comment or some suggestions as all constructive criticism is welcome.

And on another note, not even a decent paint job can help that weapon storage look any less ridiculous.

Attached Files:

2. prime326

prime326 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    the triceratop mode is fantastic

3. thebandwagon

thebandwagon Well-Known Member

Why thank you, I really like the mold, it was just too bad he was mass released in purple and red, albeit metallic looking purple and red, but purple and red nonetheless. I also forgot the group shots!

Attached Files: