AOE Silver Knight Optimus Prime and FOC Grimlock

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Starscream Gaga, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I don't have either of these, but was sorta on the fence about both of them. A set that has the best looking decos of both of them for only $30? Fucking sold.

Prime was the star for me. Grimlock's fun, but I don't really like his dino mode all that much. Still, after MP Grimlock and a heavily nostalgia-biased view on G1, it's my favorite Grimlock. But Prime's great. Just a solid mold to begin with, the chrome really works for him, and while it bugs me his sword doesn't go in further, the fact he can use Grimlock's shield (which I didn't think Grimlock should have anyway... Grimlock + blocking doesn't seem natural) is a stellar bonus.

2. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    I'm glad that Silver Knight thing isn't in the movie at all, I can skip all those repaints now.

3. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Agreed 100%. The red on the upper legs looks bad, they should be black, and personally I think the red should extend further up the torso like this custom.

Superimposing the G1 colors on his lower legs also looks bad, and if I find out they are easily removable with alcohol I'm gonna wipe them off. The color scheme used on his lower legs with the first FoC release would have looked much better. There's also so much chrome in this set, it's kind of a shame that the t-rex arms got over-looked. Overall a nice set, and the Prime figure is surprisingly not bad

4. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    well said. though the red does look like red booty shorts though

i would have done the colors differently, make the knee vents silver, the rectangle below it in blue, the lower leg vents in black, the square in red, and then the little foot square in green.

5. jametron

jametron Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE! Taste Kittens…

News Credits:
    I was just thinking the same thing! I think I'm gonna get a can of metallic chrome paint and take care of that.
    Agreed... I really appreciate the red pelvis on this version, but why they extended it to the thighs is anyone's guess. I thought it looked weird, so I gave them a coat of matte black. I think he looks better now.
    [​IMG]

6. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    that looks so much better.

if i ever got this one, i'd do clear red over the abs? so he looks more like this but with a metallic red

[​IMG]

that's emperor dinobot's grimlock.

7. jametron

jametron Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE! Taste Kittens…

News Credits:
    Right on... If you do, please share some pics!

8. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    ah doubt it as i dont really need to have like a fifth foc grimlock. i have one in g1 colors, in in foc, the plat version, and then a g2 one in the works for myself

9. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Volcanicus Torso

News Credits:
    Somewhere Wearing The Dinobots As Gloves & Boots
    That isn't a "weird dinobot-ized" Autobot symbol on the FOC version of this Voyager Grimlock.

It's the symbol of the Lightning Strike Coalition which Grimlock was a founding member of. Know your TF history:

Lightning Strike Coalition - Transformers Wiki

10. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    This new G1 version of FOC Grimlock would look absolutely great and would instantly become the Classics Grimlock that we shouldve gotten all along with this head:

AoT - 001 Retro Rex - Metallic Edition - Third Party Transforming Toys & Accessories ArtTek

And also this gun:

AoT - 002 Rex Blaster - Metallic Edition - Third Party Transforming Toys & Accessories ArtTek

Before anyone points out that these are the metallic versions of the Arttek accessories, I deliberately focused on them. I own both the metallic and non-metallic versions of the head and guns and there is only a slight difference between the two.

The metallic version has very slight flecks in it that make it look better.

11. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm curious how the Iron Factory kit would look on this version of Grimlock

12. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

that's what i was thinking. i thought i was crazy. lol

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I hated FOC Grimlock, but I got this yesterday because it looked cool, and I needed that Prime for my Optimus collection.

I was actually able to find a Grimlock without pale gold chrome, instead this one has a much richer gold, probably moreso than the MP. I really like it. The new colors breathe new life into this mold, and while it still has plenty of faults, the dull and lifeless FOC deco being replaced by this shiny and colorful color scheme works wonders. I'll finally be switching out the 2006 deluxe in my classics display.

Silver Knight Optimus is cool too. I always liked that mold, and this ridiculous chrome job is great for all sorts of dumb reasons.

14. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    mind pictures of your grimlock? i like the pale gold but yours sounds interesting at least lol

15. RandomGuy

RandomGuy Well-Known Member

I already had the FoC Grimlock, but that blinged out Prime was calling my name. I was totally prepared to spend the $30, but I guess there was some kind of sale on when i bought it. I payed less than $25 after sales tax AND got a $5 gift card.

Love Grimlock, but I miss the red details on his shoulders and elbows. The gold chrome looks great. Also kind of annoyed that the light on mine doesn't work right and I can't get the batteries out.

And Prime? Well, I'm kinda scared to mess with him too much for fear of making him even more covered in fingerprints. Don't much like the sword though, doesn't fit in Prime's hand all that well and the unpainted grey plastic looks off next to all that chrome.

Overall, the set was definitely worth it.

16. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    If anyone is interested in getting rid of the Grimlock from this set please PM me I'm VERY interested in buying it.

I only want the Grimlock from this set. I have no use for the Silver Knight Optimus Prime at all.

17. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

My Iron Factory upgrade set should be arriving early this week, I'll report back on how it looks on this Grimlock.

18. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I bought 1 set and the Optimus in it had a knee pinned too far out to the point where it couldn't even bend backwards. I was able to get my set exchanged.

Though I have DOTM Walmart Optimus and the 1st foc Grimlock, I couldn't resist the deco on this set. Optimus turned out to be far more fun than I envisioned, I like posing it with the "new sword" and Grimlock's shield. The shield was always too small for Grimlock but it's just right for deluxe Optimus.

My only concern is that the head on Optimus got stuck while transforming from truck to robot(maybe due to paint? I was able to budge it free) and I feel chrome wear is inevitable on parts like the shoulder flaps(which go together for truck mode with a very tight clearance. Anyone know if Future Polish can seal chrome without tinting it or deteriorating it?

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    It can. I futured the fuck out of this set right after I opened it. just make sure you wipe them down yet so you dont get oils from your skin trapped under it.

20. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Thanks man I will probably do the same. Did you brush it on or just dip the parts in the polish?