AoE packaging looks/feels so cheap, anyone else think so?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SideSwipe82, Jun 8, 2014.

1. SideSwipe82

SideSwipe82 Well-Known Member

What i'm referring is the Outer box. The shiny smooth and thin cardboard feels like the CFL lightbulb boxes that you see in Rite Aid, CVS, Ikea, or Walgreen. It has that same smoothness and texture. I really don't know how to explain it but it feels really cheap in comparison(excludes MP grimlock) to Generation Voyager boxes or previous transformer line. Even the Generation legend/or deluxe cardboard feels much sturdy and higher quality cardboard than the AoE line.

anyone else had this experience? or some just don't care.. :-D

Although I don't buy any movie line TFs, I just want to point this out. just my 2 cents.

2. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Some people have been commenting on how noticeably thin the cardboard is on Voyager class boxes.. but the card was pretty thing on DOTM boxes too.

3. usernamedustin

usernamedustin Banned

EVERYTHING looks/feels cheap with the AoE toys. Outside and inside the packaging.

4. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I feel I have to defend them a little the Under 8's stuff is a bit more nasty than the Movie Generations are.

5. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't care. The packaging all ends up in the trash compactor.

6. iconbot

iconbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So true!

7. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

they look so generic and sterile like the generic beer from the 80s

[​IMG]

but they do have some pictures so more like this

[​IMG]

8. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As long as the toy is fine I'm ok of course I would like if the cheaper packaging made the actual retail price lower, ha.

The boxed things do feel kind of like the cardboard from an ornament or tissue box.

9. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    I actually like the design elements of the voyager boxes at least. It's a bit of a change from previous branding attempts, but I like it. I'm a fan of using negative space though, so take my comments from that mentality.

10. El Zilcho

El Zilcho Well-Known Member

Yep, this. The only time I even notice the quality of the packaging is if there's a significant defect, like during RotF when they were using some crappy glue that didn't hold the bubbles onto the cardbacks properly.

About the only problem I have with the AoE stuff is that a number of the sublines have similar packaging. I particularly have trouble in stores telling apart the Generations Deluxes and the comparably-sized simplified subline figures sold alongside them (those "with POWER PUNCH!!!" or whatever gimmicky ones...name escapes me), especially when the same character has a toy in both sublines at the same time.

11. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it's DEFINITELY cheap packaging.. hell, there aren't any twist ties in any of the deluxes, and the voyagers/leaders all use those little plastic clothing/tag connectors which i assume is another cost cutting effort.

but i TOTALLY agree i LOVE the actual look of the packaging. i think it REALLY stands out and i love that the character art is nice and big on the deluxe cards rather than in the bubble.

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I dunno - I picked up one of those cheap Skyhammers from TRU the same time I grabbed my Evasion Optimus and I remember thinking to myself that the AoE box felt 'lesser' than the DotM one. Maybe it's just the simplicity of the packaging affecting the sturdiness on the AoE boxes, especially the bigger ones.
    Probably doesn't help that the figures are lighter too. You pick up the boxes and they feel 'wrong'.

I think though the very sparse and basic art design of the AoE packaging is also lending a certain subconsious feeling of everything being less substantial than previous lines. Matel's example of budget/generic food packaging is a pretty good one with regards to that feeling. Looks budget, feels budget. Although unfortunately not budget prices.
    That certainly surprised me. I opened my first AoE Deluxe and it kinda just fell out of the packaging. Which in a way was nice since I didn't have to deal with any ties. Just hope we don't get any carded figures with the weak glue (barely) holding the bubble to the card, or there'll be figures spilling all over the store floor. Although there is that strip of tape down the back side that would help keep things closed.

Wonder how no ties on the Deluxes will affect ease of shoplifting? Although I suppose these days criminals are so brazen they don't bother to sneak a figure out of the packaging anymore, but just snaffle the whole thing. I could perhaps see certain weapons vanishing though. Evasion Optimus' weapon is just held in place by the friction of the tray tabs when previously that would've perhaps had a tie to hold it in place. That shotgun of his is going to go missing from a lot of boxes. I can see some people just cutting the tape, sliding the inner tray out partway and grabbing the gun (and missile). And since the gun and missile are covered by the big 'Transformers' banner down the front side of the box, any poor bugger purchasing that figure later won't probably realise stuff's missing until they get it home and open it. Something to look out for maybe since a lot of people are wanting Evasion Optimus.

Those ties on the boxed figures I'm not fond of though. Since I rebox my larger TF once they come off display and go into my TF storage, it's more fiddly to put a figure back in. Thankfully there is a little stretch to those ties though so I was able to get my Evasion Optimus out of his tray without having to undo or cut any of the ties.

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I don't much care about the cardboard quality. But what I do like about the new boxes is they are not an odd shape, like the DotM voyagers or whatever. When I'm packing a bunch of Voyager boxes away, the last thing I want is a bunch of needlessly curved surfaces that don't stack or fit well together.

So cheaper cardboard? Whatever. As long as each side of the box is a rectangle, I'm happy.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    That's true. The number of times I've awkwardly picked up a curved box by the curve and dropped it. Although sometimes the curve did help squeeze a couple of boxes in together when storing away. But the Voyager boxes are slightly smaller this time so the boxes I usually store my reboxed Voyagers away in will have a bit more wriggle room now.

Boxy shaped boxes are a little less interesting though. Which kinda adds to the blandness of the AoE packaging. I dunno what it's like on the US packaging, but one whole side of the Voyager boxes here in the UK is just a huge white blank space with that sort-of 'cometfall' design with the faction logo in in the bottom third. Kinda ironic when you consider the back of the box is totally crammed with the multi language stuff. Just some of that blueprint design used elsewhere on the box would've been enough to cover all that white.

The heavily cut-down profiles to make room for the extra languages do make for amusing reading though. Scorn's has been reduced to just 'Has the jaws of a dino' and Bumblebee's to 'Disguises himself as a muscle car'. Yes, Hasbro, we have eyes. We can see those obvious things ourselves. Maybe leave us something about the actual character next time? :p 
    Slug's 'Will destroy anything in his path' and Optimus' 'Adapts to be unrecognizable' make a little more character sense.

15. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    The only problem I have with the new packageing is its more confusing to tell the various pricepoints apart.

The only thing that separates the gimmick action figure guys from the deluxe packageing is the little cartoony bubble of the character performing the action. That should have been the main art, in fast action battler tradition.

Would be cool if the decepticons were in purple instead of red. Not that there are that many decepticons in this line.

At least the movie renders are well presented especially on the voyager boxes.
    and its not just guys like Optimus Prime, bumblebee, or Grimlock on everyones boxes.

That would be generic.

16. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    THIS. Had a mate pick up Crosshairs for me only for him to mistakenly get the power punch one. Don't blame him for it at all as the packaging is really terrible with regard to differentiating the various sub lines...

Sigh... Have to go return it.

17. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:

THIS! The other day I was in TRU and started running when i saw i box with certain colors and I got excited.... It was just Power Punch Strafe..
    The boxes are even the same damn size!

18. Gargamel

Gargamel Well-Known Member

This, they're definitely cutting costs on a general level.

19. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I know the DOTM packaging was thin as when I had to pack them up to shell I had to make a 3/4 card shell around the curved window as the boxes would just cave in if I'd packed them up in the usual way. It was the thinness of the plastic that was the problem more than the card - as the inner tray supports the toys enough otherwise usually.

If they move to clear plastic shells alone on the interior then the thin card would be quite noticeable with less support on the inside.