AOE Leader Grimlock

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ChErikS, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I really wonder why they did the legs as they did. It would have worked better if it formed the tail, rather then a torso that looks way too long.

2. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
  3. crewboy7

crewboy7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got him today and I actually like him. His bot mode is really good. The only things I would change really are to make his color scheme more accurate and make his tail a little longer.

4. EmperorDinobot

EmperorDinobot I claim your sun!

I kind of like it. Tail needs to be longer, horns need to be cut, rest is fine.

I like chrome.

5. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I'm surprised that many people seem so concerned about the chrome. I think it looks good. Now if the QC is consistently found lacking, that's another story.

I'm much more concerned about the doofy proportions this guy has in dino mode. I'd definitely invest in a 3rd party tail extension! Also, the dino arms look great when made a little larger and placed lower on the torso as in the pics from the last page.

6. crewboy7

crewboy7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The more I mess with him the more I realize he has decent articulation and is especially poseable leg-wise

7. shadow panther

News Credits:
    The chrome is already chipping away on mine

8. ChErikS

ChErikS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mine too, he will now stay in bot mode because of it. Everytime I move the arms to transform I'm covered in chrome flecks.

9. shadow panther

News Credits:
    The plastic under the chrome IS NOT Blacck. Its that crappy grey plastic we all hate. I dont know who said it was black but they were wrong

10. SeekerofTruth20

SeekerofTruth20 Prime of Primes

Just bought this guy last night. I have to say, he's much better in person than in pics or videos. Sure the proportions are a bit wonky in Dino mode, but it really isn't terrible. The transformation is pretty fun, and the chrome hasn't been a problem for me. I wish at least his upper chest in bot mode had more of that orange-gold finish on it, but it kinda adds to the knightly/warrior armor thing the dinobots seem to be representing. He's actually really posable. The one thing I have an absolute issue with is the robot arms and their posability. The massive gap between the ratchet clicks is irritating.

Overall, I really enjoy him. Maybe not worth the $45 but I'm still glad I have him. I'd recommend him! If he's not your thing, cool, but I really don't see why he gets a lot of negativity. The chrome is maybe the issue...we'll see how it lasts. So far, I'm pretty satisfied.

11. shadow panther

News Credits:
    Hes a wonderful toy. My 1 and only complaint is the chrome

12. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Boo that sucks. I'll probably decide on this guy in-store. Or maybe I'll end up getting him when I have all I want from wave 1 and start to get a little more desperate...

13. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    My $26 Amazon Leader Grimmy just came to the door. Holding the box and looking at the figure inside... damn is this figure small and light. The box feels as heavy as a Voyager box, and the figure itself looks smaller than the old Ultras we used to get. Definitely glad I didn't pay full price.

Won't get to open it till later, but those are my first impressions. Also got Optimus, who appears better.

14. itMFtis

itMFtis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got him from Amazon yesterday. I think he's great. The torso could stand to be a little shorter in "beast" mode, but I really like the transformation scheme using the legs. Just too bad they didn't add a way to shorten it.

I think the chrome looks great. If it wasn't chrome, it was going to be that boring solid grey plastic that I hear is under the chrome.

That said, he's definitely not a $45 worthy figure. $30 tops.

15. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg Hi Yukio!

News Credits:
    This toy is pretty damn good! The pictures that I have seen on the internet do not do him justice. Grimlock is a ton better in person. I'm not sure where all the negativity is coming from. I guess it's due to the chrome issues, but I haven't seen any evidence of it yet on my toy. The people who have always hated all things movie related aren't going to like him, but if you even have a slight interest in Grimlock, I highly recommend that you at least check him out (borrow a friend's Grimlock if you have to). He might just surprise you. I'm glad I got him!

Hasbro is batting 3 for 3 with the 3 movie toys that I have bought (Deluxe Scorn, Deluxe High Octane BB, & Leader Grimlock). I'm probably finished for now (the other toys don't appeal to me like these three did) but I'm extremely pleased with what I got.

Side Note: I can't stand it when the included instructions are for changing the alt. mode into the robot mode when the actual toy itself is already packaged in robot mode. You basically have to reverse the order of transformation right off the bat. I wish it were the other way around.

16. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah I see him at TRU, and thought he looked worse in person. The chrome kills it.

17. Mechafire

Mechafire Tarnished Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Welp guys I just got this thing in the mail and am about to open it.

Pray for me.

18. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg Hi Yukio!

News Credits:
    I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I know I was.

19. ChErikS

ChErikS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I did at the time based on it chipping away on the dino-head. Since then I've seen it fleck off his chest and it's been grey, but I never bothered to update it.

20. Mechafire

Mechafire Tarnished Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    ... heh...

Alright guys, it's straight-up dawg time. I went into this expecting a big ol' steaming pile of shit in both modes, but... the robot mode is actually not that bad. It's not good, either, but it's not horrid.

Okay, so, issues: the shitty shoulder articulation. There's a random "click" that serves absolutely no purpose, because when you move the arm even farther out, it isn't ratcheted. Just that first click - which also happens to be the one that makes posing his arms a pain in the ass.

The chrome. It's terrible, of course. I thiiink a few flecks have come off, but I'm not 100% sure, and can't find where they've flaked off from.

The color, in all its inaccurate "glory", is also a negative point. But that's a problem I have with the line overall.

Also. Flip the leg spikes out in robot mode and leave the back plate things hanging down, as I'm pretty sure that's actually movie-accurate going by the shirt image thing we saw. Plus, it makes his legs look not quite as spindly.

So the robot mode didn't annoy me as much as I thought it would... then I turned it into his kangaroo mode. And yeah, it's bad. It's fucking awful, actually. I can't say anymore than what's been said numerous times already, so I won't repeat it.

Also. The quality of the plastic actually feels pretty solid, and they're a tad heftier than I was expecting. Size-wise... it's hard to say. I mean, they seem just as big (if not a little bigger) than the Animated Leaders... but then, they seem a bit small when you put them next to ROTF/DOTM Leaders or Universe Ultras. So I dunno. The size isn't really an issue I have. If I HAD to pick I way to describe their size, I'd say between Ultra and Leader.

No electronics. Couldn't care less personally, though it means there's less bang for your buck. Although now that I think about it, having the TF noise would've been cool...

The toys overall are very mixed bags. Do I think they're worth $45 or whatever? Hell no, and I'm glad I only paid $26 each for them. Do I think they're legit good toys? No. Do I think they're legit horrid toys? No. It really just comes down to if you're able to deal with the (numerous) flaws these figures have.

But for me personally? 100% honestly, I feel like Grim has a stronger robot mode and a weaker (REALLY REALLY weaker) alt-mode, and OP has a stronger alt-mode and a weaker bot mode. These are pretty much just my initial thoughts, though. Still need to mess with em more.

Last edited: May 13, 2014