Minor/Repaint: AOE Leader Grimlock and the Dino-Riders! (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by thebandwagon, Jul 15, 2014.

1. thebandwagon

thebandwagon Well-Known Member

For the last of my custom dinobots, I completed my leader class Grimlock in the same style as the others. I sprayed a matte black base coat, then a hammered silver metal coat, then I hand painted the grime with various shades of rust, greys, blacks, and silvers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course you can still deploy the leg spikes, but I prefer to keep them on the back of the legs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dino-mode is where this figure gets to showcase the paint job as the robot mode showcased the mold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He gets to hang out with his baby brother haha.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No, I don't have a flight stand, so twine works just fine! The movie team:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They look pretty good all together!

[​IMG]

Just for ish and giggles, I put together the dino-riders as well! I was bored, so I assembled the team haha. They are so ridiculously out of scale that it is pretty hysterical, but here they are!

Disclaimer: If Hasbro had given us in scale effigies, or even action masters with some articulation, this never would have happened! Nevertheless I find ways to entertain myself.

[​IMG]

Of course there is the Silver Knight Prime riding his trusty, fish-shaped, steed!

[​IMG]

And Rustimus atop Grimmy's baby brother!

[​IMG]

Bumblebee trying to master flight on two-headed Swoop!

[​IMG]

Crosshairs astride "Spike" (still sucks that they were never named in the movie)!

[​IMG]

Alas Drift has been missing from all of the stores in my area, so in his stead is Hound on Slug, the giant, prehistoric, robot puppy!

[​IMG]

The Masterpieces couldn't stand on the sidelines so they joined in too!

[​IMG]

And I couldn't leave the little ones out!

[​IMG]

And I ran out of dinobots and Primes in my display that's not in storage, but here is the final pairing!

[​IMG]

(It was so ridiculously out of scale that the reverse would have resulted in Jetwing Prime wearing undies made from a pterodactyl haha. So it's now more of a dino riding someone, but whatever..)

Anywho, feel free to leave some comments and suggestions as new ideas are always appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. vrba79

vrba79 Well-Known Member

Too much brown.

3. prime326

prime326 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    very nice

4. IXoptimusIX

IXoptimusIX Feels good to be back.

I love the pairings so much!

5. thebandwagon

Thanks guys! I had gone with the rust color to match with the rest of he team, which I had started on before the film had come out. Those guys were done as what I saw from trailers, but it wasn't until we got closer to the film that we got to really see that they were mostly a patina green color.

I had nothing better to do considering I had just finished taking a couple hundred photos of the newer additions to my lineup of customs, so I put them together! The AOE guys were easy to figure out, but a pain in the butt to get to stand, the Masterpieces were inspired by a drawing I saw on DeviantArt of G1 OP and Grimmy here:
    Transformers 4 - Optimus Prime Riding Grimlock by darrenrawlings on deviantART

And then I only had the legends OP and FOC Grimmy, which gave the most in scale representation vs the Masterpieces haha.

6. Krommdor

Krommdor The Penance Stare

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great Grimlock custom! I do have to say based on the title I actually expected to see Dino-Riders though. Like the old Tyco cartoon.

7. thebandwagon

I'm sorry I threw you off, but thanks!