AOE first movie to hit $100M opening weekend this year

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Optimus Prime, Jun 29, 2014.

1. moylan55

moylan55 Well-Known Member

worldwide yea. it's at 301.3 right now. China's killing it apparently

but remember that doesn't mean it's any good or anything
    LOL

Holy moly when you sort by international it's already about to pass Gone With the Wind
    253 188 Gone with the Wind MGM $400.2 $198.7 49.6% $201.5 50.4% 1939^
    254 318 Transformers: Age of Extinction Par. $301.3 $100.0 33.2% $201.3 66.8% 2014

2. Bystander

Bystander Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just went for my 4th time tonight :) 

3. FMA1987

FMA1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I have read all the threads and have seen all the different types of opinions to the point where the movie before I even seen it put a bad taste in my mouth. I went and seen and loved it. This is the problem as fans we dog something put someone down for liking it and swear that anything new is a death to the franchise that we know and love. I grew up loving the G1 and when Beast Wars came along I loved that too. My point is the way this should be viewed is the thing we love the most our hobby or fandom is alive and kicking because of movies hate it or love it. It keeps the Generation line around, it keeps masterpieces coming to the US. It is this that Hasbro acknowledges the fans. Or even a simple ringtone in the movie with the original theme song or the original transforming noise. So while your all crying foul because Michael Bay has destroyed your childhood remember this they dont have to care about the fans they can just go on doing what ever they want but at least they give a damn about us. And if you hate it fine and if you love it fine but don't put down others or taking away someones joy.

4. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Key question is has the movie made back it's production costs? Because movie profit = more toys for collectors of toy robots :D 

* Yes, I know I have simplified a complicated system down by a ridiculous margin, but hey, it's still good for us!

5. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe I missed a post, but has anyone even mentioned that the weekend is still not yet over?

While I will admit there is some truth to your statements, you couldn't be any more wrong in your interpretation. I am 40 years old and have been a solid fan for the last 30 years save for a few years during college when getting my life oriented. I love G1 and I loved G1 Prime. I think these movies are fantastic. Are they academy award winners? Absolutely not, but I thoroughly enjoy them. Unlike the many of you who feel that "their childhood has been raped" by Michael Bay, I am grateful for what he has done. CGI or not, he has brought something of my childhood to life. G1 Prime is still G1 Prime, flames or not, murderous attitude or not. I love movie Prime's demeanor in these films, which ruins nothing of G1 Prime. Get a grip people.

Are there those of us who only love G1? Yes, of course. Are there those of us that have only grown up with movie transformers? Yes, obviously....and that is all they know for the most part unless they have gone back and investigated previous mythos. THere is nothing wrong with only loving G1 or only loving the movie iterations, or even only Beast Wars.....but there are also MANY of us who are TRANSFORMER fans. We love G1, Beast Wars, the movies, and everything else about the franchise.

The problem with this forum is that so many feel the need to degrade others for whatever part of the franchise we love. You don't like "kill them all" death Optimus Prime? Ok, thats great....state your grievance and move on. Don't tell me that something I enjoy has been "basterdized by Michael Bay". If you truly believe that, then you are in the wrong hobby :2c: 

6. Atomatron

Atomatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    very calculated, forward looking movie for the franchise, smartly done

7. moylan55

moylan55 Well-Known Member

again going off boxofficemojo.com:

Production Budget: $210 million

Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $100,000,000 33.2%
    + Foreign: $201,300,000 66.8%
    = Worldwide: $301,300,000

8. Bystander

Bystander Well-Known Member

News Credits:

The same thing that I heard currently is happening in China -so many kids were seen in theaters watching this movie, some young parents even brought their toddlers... :) 

9. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Who needs class when you have mindless explosions and endless wads of cash? :D 

You're kidding, right? It's due in large part to these movies that we as a fandom can and do get nice things like the Masterpiece line and Generations figures like Arcee and Windblade. Like it or not, Bay movies help Hasbro fund toys and collector oriented products.

10. AoE

AoE OUR WORLDS ARE IN DANGER

News Credits:
    Not saying that Hobbit 3 isn't going to do well, but I feel like after Desolation of Smaug managed to do "worse" than An Unexpected Journey, fans might be burned out by a new movie each year with no brakes.

In America, yeah, but I'm not so sure about other countries.

Whoa man, now that's just rude, especially when the movies weren't the first continuity outside of G1. They're just doing they're own thing, like Car Robots and Optimus's love for children or Animated making Optimus relatively younger. And besides, I'm saying this as a fan since long before the movies, Hasbro probably wouldn't be shelling out generations figures if the series wasn't boosted by the films.

11. RazorX3000

RazorX3000 Cybertronian Monkey

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Whoa! Didn't expect past 109 Million opening weekend.

12. Son of Carl

Son of Carl ROCK BEATS EVERYTHING

Here's the thing. The Bayformer movies are crap. And I don't just say that because I don't like them. They are not good movies. That said, who cares. We are aloud to like crappy movies. There are a lot of movies that I love that I know are crap movies. Just breezing through my collection.... Punisher War Zone. Is this a good movie? No, not really, but I still love it. Does that make me a stupid person? No. It just means that I find it entertaining, it not a life decision. People can put down these movies, but there is no need to put down other people for liking them. It's just entertainment.

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I am kidding around and having a bit of fun. "This is why we can't have nice things" is an ancient line that people have been using for a very long time to joke around.

At the same time it's also kind of a harmless way to let out some frustration that I'm just not going to get the sort of live action film I might hope for or dream of.

On the bright side the cartoon series have been good at both giving me things I wanted and even things I didn't know I wanted. If the new cartoon series is good then it's going to be three for three on recent series.

14. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    The Bay movies are appeal-to-the-lowest-common-denominator-crap, I'll readily admit. But that doesn't meant they can't be enjoyed as guilty pleasures. They're certainly helping to put coin in Hasbro's (and Takara Tomy's) bank so they can help fund the next batch of cool toys like Masterpiece figures and Generations stuff like Arcee (a pink fembot, no less).

As for good live action movies, who knows what the next 10, 20 years will bring? Bay's gotta retire from directing some day. :D 

15. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Which media outlet do you review movies for?

16. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    Man, I love how critics bashed the film only for it to make the most money on opening weekend past all these other films. Makes me somewhat prouder to be a TF fan, in a way. Yeah the movie isn't perfect, but obviously more people were amped for this than anything else that has come out this year. I smell another billion in the pocket, well done Bay.

17. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

Why would seeing a movie be a "guilty pleasure"?

18. vatarian

vatarian Archentrope, Black Needle, Suzerain of Metabolisms

Because sneering critics decide what's good, and if you disagree, you're a plebian.

19. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He beat me to it so far only reviews I have read about haters are they don't like bay, and the other half who don't like it are the ones who over analyze every little details of film for people who over analyze movie that don't like it would those people maybe like film if they went see movie what it was meant to be seen years ago entrainment pourpase only?

20. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    I think this is the best film & the worst.
    If an industrious fan comes along and edits out 45-60 minutes..... the product placement, the extra baysplosions, the one liners, the 7th+ "dad I know what I'm doing", the actual editing errors.....then we'll have a pretty darn good film.