Minor/Repaint: AOE Evasion OP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by thebandwagon, Jul 15, 2014.

1. thebandwagon

thebandwagon Well-Known Member

When it was announced that Optimus was going to have two alt modes, the first being that '97 Marmon, I was giddy with joy for the fact that he would have a G1 style alt mode while not being ripped straight from the cartoon. When the figure was released for it though, I had mixed feelings. I absolutely love the transformation as it maintains some of the complexity of previous movie toys, but I wanted a nasty, grimy Optimus for my AOE setup.

With the help of some paint, well a lot of paint, I was able to recreate the look of the film. I didn't drill or melt any holes into the figure because I am not too confident with my modding skills, but I tried to be accurate nonetheless. I didn't add the faded flames, but added plenty of rust coloring to the front of the vehicle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OP's head is the only thing I didn't completely cover in paint because I wanted to give him some contrast. Of course the downside is you can see it right out of the back. I am considering filling it in with a painted panel, but I have yet to decide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I never got the DOTM Megatron, so the shotgun is staying with OP, but I covered it with a layer of gunmetal paint, then I drybrushed it with silver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The voyagers:

[​IMG]

And here is with all of the others!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As always, let me know what you think and feel free to leave some suggestions for future pieces!

Attached Files:

2. Ironfire1234

Ironfire1234 Active Member

this would be cool make it so half his face can come off that would damage it but be wicked cool. great job on all of these

3. Nemesis Scar

Nemesis Scar Behind Blue Eyes

Tumblr:
    I think you went a bit overboard on the rust, but it looks amazing otherwise.

How about a G1 deco deluxe Slug?

4. prime326

prime326 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    damn what a mess he is...good job

5. thebandwagon

thebandwagon Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! That's an interesting idea about the head, although I think that would be pretty difficult to get a clean slice but still be able to keep the panel in place without falling off all of the time. I don't know, I might just have to try that out!

For the figure I wanted to portray that really grimy look he had onscreen, so I made him all kinds of filthy, so I may have gone a little overboard with rust, but it also didn't help that I couldn't get the flash on my phone to cooperate with me, so he looks alot dark than he actually is. The figure is actually mostly tan, right around the color of sand. The rust is slightly redder than the sand and a little darker but it isn't as notably in person.

In regards to Slug, I probably will do a G1 deco eventually, but I'm gonna hold off on doing until I know I can find the Snarl and Sludge to complete the team. Hopefully the wave isn't skipped here again.. But you never know!