Minor/Repaint: AoE Drift Even MORE Movie Accurate

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Unicron9, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Unicron9

Unicron9 Fan and customizer of the TAWYS

My sister-in-law and I spent a while googling pics of AoE Drift while I was in Michigan the week the movie came out, but we couldn't get a clear for-sure on whether he was black or dark blue.
    When we all went and saw the movie, her and I agreed we got a good look at him in all modes, and he was black, except maybe in a couple of scenes where it was still questionable whether he had a pearlescent blue in there or it was just the sky reflection or Bay's filters.

I went with black on mine, but I've seen a couple of guys repainting him dark blue, so I did a bunch more google searching for pics of the car and screens from the movie, and decided he definitely does have a blue pearlescent effect going on. So I went back to mine and gave him a super thin coat of very dark midnight blue, followed by a thin coat of transparent blue, then gloss coat.
    Like what I remember seeing in the movie, he looks black for the most part with a hint of blue in there, but outright dark blue in bright enough lighting.
    It was hard to capture the effect in my pics so I will probably get one outside when the sun is up to show the blue tint better. I did lighten the final pic a little though to try and show what I mean.

I figure black is close enough to black/blue pearlescent but now hopefully mine is even more accurate than it was. :) 

Attached Files:

2. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

I didn't know this car does have a spoiler. Think I'll cut mine off.

3. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Whoa, hang on before you destroy your figure...

The Bugatti Veyron does have a spoiler. It comes out after a certain speed is reached. In the film, Drift never reaches that speed, or at least not on camera.

The car does in fact have a spoiler, so cutting it out seems rather pointless.

4. Rodimeister0088

Rodimeister0088 Prime

nice job man! seeing the movie again must have been worth it! i plan on seeing it again too soon :) 
    EDIT: I see blue in your pics so don't sweat it! you wanna know how to bring it out more in the pics? gloss coat :) 

5. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Yep, looks fantastic. Really good job at capturing that really dark metallic blue he has.

6. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Head of Illuminati Chapter 517

News Credits:
    Looks good but now you need to detail. The front needs some black detailing, and I don't know if you did the taillights or not but you should do those too.

7. Rodimus Prime1

Rodimus Prime1 Ride in Style

Looks great man, did you also spray it with a gloss clear?

As for the color I believe it could a (clear coat) (or light tinted clear blue) over it's carbon fibre body. you can see it in this pic if it is the same

Attached Files:

8. Bumblebee bug 1

Bumblebee bug 1 Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Wow, you really nailed the color.

I had the rare opportunity to see a Bugatti Veyron Grand Sport Vitesse at a car show and it is in fact very dark blue. The color isn't actually a coat of paint. Apparently they put these weird little colored flakes in the weaves of the carbon fiber to achieve the dark metallic color.

9. ironjazz

ironjazz Tie Fighter pilot

News Credits:
    If you want an accurate spoiler you should file the middle of the spoiler because the real one has a rod on each side and a flat wing at the top.

Like so.

10. Unicron9

Well like I said in the description, I saw the movie the week it came out in Michigan, not recently again, and I did hit it with a gloss coat.

Oh I only changed the black to a black with a blue tint in the right lighting. I wasn't looking for anything else I might have missed, but your right about those missing black front details! I will go do that. And yes the tail-lights are painted too.

Yep mentioned in the description it has a gloss clear coat on it.

Yep I already know from not only tons of pictures, but also seeing the movie, that Drift's primary color was black in the movie, or so dark blue it usually looked black. That's why I say anyone who went with black was just as accurate as those who went with blue. It is a pearlescent black/blue, or so dark blue it is close enough to black. Super dark blue or black works just as well either way if you can't find an actual black to blue pearlescent or black with blue metal flake. I havent looked for one but it doesnt sound like an easy find.
    I don't think it is specifically black or dark blue. It looks like it depends on the lighting. The greatly varying pics looking 100% black or 100% blue say that anyway.

11. stevil33

stevil33 Army of Wastemen

Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Beautiful!! great work mate! :cool: 

12. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

News Credits:
    you were in my home state and said nothing!? forshame!!

i kid, though seriously it'd been great to meet you dude

13. Unicron9

If only I had known... I actually wondered if there might be any customizers I often talk to there, and we traveled all over Michigan too hitting different parks and Great Lake beaches.

14. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

News Credits:
    haha yep! i seem to be the only radicon next to neekotron here, i'm in shoddy ol' redford township near Detroit P=

15. Bumblebee bug 1

Bumblebee bug 1 Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I wouldn't worry about trying to find a paint like that. Yours is the closest I've seen anyone get to the real color. It's hard to capture the real color in a photo, you have to walk around it and see it from different angles in person to really see how complex the color is. I don't even think it's possible to replicate it perfectly at such a small scale.

16. Rodimeister0088

Rodimeister0088 Prime

seems like a matte finish from the pics. perhaps a thicker clear coat would do the trick if you are aiming for that mirror finish. If not, it's really not an issue. It's a nice job.

17. Unicron9

Thanks! yeah i'm fine with it as it is myself. Tried getting some outdoor pics but it looked more black then next to my dark gray background so no point, but I paid attention during the film and this is as accurate as I can get it. :) 

Ah thats probably just the dern texture it got from the testors transparent blue. I dont know why but stupid testors cans often do that, which is why I usually avoid them... I did hit it with another gloss coat today though after sanding the texture down some on the side windows and other areas.
    Oh and added those missing black details in the grill too.
    I'll get another pic here of that.

Attached Files:

18. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    So does the Aventador, if anyone's thinking of modding their Lockdown...

This vid shows it deploying near the beginning:
    Verde Ithaca Green Lamborghini Aventador Accelerations GoPro HD St. Patrick's Day - YouTube