AoE Deluxe Takara AD-14 Jolt

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by jru42287, Jul 16, 2014.

1. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    Hey guys, I didn't see a thread for this guy yet, so I figured I'd throw one up. This is my first review, so go easy on me!

Anyway, here is deluxe Jolt from Takara's Age of Extinction Movie Advanced Line. I won't go into too much detail, since he's not really any different from the DotM Jolt we got, aside from color.

Car mode:

He looks really striking in his RotF blue colors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With his electro whips plugged into the Mechtech ports:

[​IMG]

Over all, car mode is beautiful. As I said, he looks fantastic in these colors. A few minor nitpicks:
    -No Chevy "Volt" insignia on rear, and no paint on the existing Chevy symbol on the rear
    -I'm slightly disappointed that they kept the carbon-fiber detailing on his roof and hood. I feel like he would look amazing with smooth surfaces.
    -I find it weird that they didn't paint the Mechtech ports, or mold them in black to blend into the roof
    -The pieces that hold his shoulders don't like to sit flush against the car

Bot mode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

His eyes look a little funky, but I think that has to do with my light source, not the figure itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I personally think bot mode looks great. My only issues (which are probably just my figure, and not line-wide) are:
    -One of his "wings" that's made up from the car's side windows and roof portion is really loose, and it's worrying me that it might break
    -His right hip joint is pretty loose

Some comparison pics to RotF Jolt:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, his car mode is slightly smaller (no surprise there), but I his bot mode is actually comparable in height.

Unfortunately, no comparison pics to DotM Jolt, as I got rid of him a while ago.

Final Thoughts:
    In the short time I owned the DotM mold, I pretty much despised it to the point of actually selling him, so I didn't have high hopes for this guy, but I figured I'd take a shot, since I got a good deal on him. And honestly, after having him in hand, I can say that about 90% of what I didn't like about the DotM version was the color choices, and the awful Mechtech weapon. And other than a few small QC issues, he is a really great figure.

Getting his colors and weapon right have made me kind of love this guy. I'd always thought that RotF Jolt would be my definitive version, and found that, while not nearly as strong as other toys from the RotF era, he wasn't so bad, after you worked with his kibble a little. I even held that belief through the time I owned the DotM version. But after getting this new one, and seeing this mold's true potential shine through, I'm considering selling my RotF version and making this my definitive Jolt.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice to see someone finally review this guy. :) 

Good job man!:thumb 

3. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    DOTM Jolt's big weakness was the abysmal paintjob, the mold itself is actually quite fun.

Thanks for the informative review.

4. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    rotf jolt was so awful and made me regret getting rid of my dotm one, lol.

love the whips on him. still think this mold would make a great bumblebee, with the hinge mouth like the prime version, the whips with barbs on them like animated BB's stingers, and the G1 style hood feet... and he's adorable.

5. TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon UT Gang Rise Up

News Credits:
    This mold blows the ROTF one out of the water! Can't wait to get him! :D 

6. SoundBlaster7

SoundBlaster7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Finally, a review of this figure! You did a great job, btw! :thumb 

I always wanted a Jolt in my collection, but non of the figures we got so far were good enough to make me buy them.
    ROTF had a nice vehicle mode, but the bot mode was too busy.
    Glad to see I was right about the DOTM mold. It had potential, but those awful colors were holding it back.

This version looks really nice. It's a must buy!
    I agree with you about the carbon-fiber textured hood.
    Smooth surface would have been nicer. However, I don't really mind it.
    I just wish they painted it black to match the roof. Feels a little unpainted this way.
    The windows are the other thing I would change. They should have carried over the blue tinted windows from the ROTF version.
    Those are my only gripes about this figure.

7. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review!

He looks perfect. DOTM Jolt is a great mold and improves on the ROTF one in every way. Too bad he got the 'wrong' colors, otherwise more people probably would've picked him up back then - I for one couldn't stop playing around with him.

Think this is too expensive for now, especially since I already own 2 Jolts, but might go for it if it gets a price cut in the future.

8. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    This is definitely the best version of Jolt. I'm a big fan of the DOTM toy and its nice to finally have a Jolt with whips. Sadly, I don't care enough about Jolt to pick this one up when I already have the DOTM version.

The carbon-fiber looks bad though when not painted black. Not bad enough to not make him the definitive Jolt, but not good at all.

9. ILikeSoundwave

ILikeSoundwave Stunticon

News Credits:
    Funny, your Jolt has a silver outline around the left eye, mine has no such thing, both eyes are the exact same.[​IMG]
    Sorry for the crappy pic.

10. jru42287

News Credits:
    I definitely like the blue on the hood, but the carbon-fiber should have definitely gone. Certainly not enough to make me think less of the figure, but a minor gripe.

Honestly, the clear windows aren't bad. They make the car mode look pretty nice in my opinion. I would've liked if they carried over the dark-shaded translucent plastic on the roof panels, though. If he had that and no carbon fiber, he would be 100% perfect.

I think the silver outline was actually just from the clear lightpiping behind it.

11. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Got this guy over the weekend. Right out of the box, paint's flaking off the whips in big chunks. There's also a nasty stress mark on the head/neck area & one headlight section is slightly bent inward so I had trouble transforming him properly.

Guess I got a bad one... :( 

12. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

You're lucky yours came out great, mine came with really loose hips and a broken right knee straight out of package. Did my best to fix the issues, but he's now remaining in vehicle with the whips given to the DOTM version.

13. jru42287

News Credits:
    Like I said, the hips on mine were pretty loose as well. Haven't noted any paint chipping yet, but I'll have to take a second look.

14. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One of my favorite molds now with the pain scheme it always deserved. Love it.

Minors gripes: The ports on the car roof should be black to match the roof and I wish the weapons could store internally (but honestly this guy packs down pretty tight for car mode so I don't think there was really space anywhere to put them).

15. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I trying to think about getting this, or Dispensor. Would you recommend this?

• Like Like x 1
  16. zark225

zark225 Talon Productions on YouTube

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Both are very great! Jolt is definitely the better mold and has a gorgeous paint scheme. Plus the whips are cool! Dispensor is fun just because of the character it represents, but Jolt is overall better. I would definitely get both though.

17. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Thinking about buying one on ebay to keep in scale with Studio Series.

18. jru42287

News Credits:
    I'll have to take a look at how he scales with some of the SS figures.

• Like Like x 1
  19. neevnav

neevnav The Flying Dutchman

News Credits:
    I'll take some pictures of him with some SS figs when I get home.

20. jru42287

News Credits:
    Thanks! I don't currently have Jolt in-hand. He's at my parents' house.