AOE Deluxe Lockdown

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by len_d69, Jun 23, 2014.

1. ezim93

ezim93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Has anyone compared AoE Lockdown next to Deluxe RoTF Ratchet?

2. Ravage101

Ravage101 Well-Known Member

I just saw the film...loved it! Miles better than all of the first 3 combined!

After seeing Lockdown in film, I can see that Hasbro had a tough time with the figure. Out of all of the other characters, Lockdown was the most impossible to turn into a car, plain and simple.

I'll be getting the toy as soon as it comes out, I liked the character. I do hope the fan base for this character reaches epic proportions so maybe Hasbro will do a better version.
    of him.

3. GRIMLOCK AOE

GRIMLOCK AOE Banned

I'm just waiting for third-party to make a facemask for him.

4. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really wanted to like this figure, I really did.
    But then I went over to my shelf & checked something...

It is entirely possible to make a deluxe-sized car every bit as tall as Evasion OP...

...not sure what I'm gonna do now...

Attached Files:

5. Gargamel

Gargamel Well-Known Member

I agree. I wish either the panels folded back or the hands could flip out.

Seems to be a general problem with the AoE figures. Really kills it for me.

6. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I think he looks pretty damn good for a deluxe, and they made the gun face! Also, the weapon actually doesn't look ridiculous attached to the car mode! So many figures of the past few years have nice alt modes and they expect you to stick a ridiculously large gun right on top of the vehicle. This one actually lies flush against the back of the car

My main issue is that the face should have been a bit smaller with more of a helmet feel to it. That would have improved the proportions as well. The panel forearms aren't great either, but I can deal.

Of course I'd jump on a Human Alliance or DMK version of Lockdown immediately! But that doesn't seem likely, since actual figures don't seem to be Hasbro's priority over gimmicky stuff like flip-changers and whatever.

7. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And that's with him crouched down as short as he can be. Straighten out his chicken legs and he'll be significantly taller than Evasion Prime. I can't help but feel like the toy designers missed the mark completely on this figure. Just as Lockdown's ONE thing as a character is that he's a parts scrapping bounty hunter, his ONE thing as a toy is that he's tall as fucking fuck in robot mode. Nothing about his Lambo alt mode restricted this from happening, it just comes across as something that was completely neglected from the drawing board.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    I think the big problem is they wanted to keep the front of the car as the chest, and they wanted to keep the legs accurate.

They absolutely should've tried something unconventional like the other Lockdowns, with the legs running the length of the car mode. Hell, being a movie fig, they even could've fixed the wide hips if they waned.

9. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    As Lockdown, ehh... But I guess the figure looks decent enough to pick up and simply repurpose.

10. Skyclaw

Skyclaw 6 Types of Madness!

As much as Lockdown was a badass in the movie, this deluxe does him NO justice at all!
    I think the only way to a great screen accurate image of movie Lockdown is either 3rd party needs to come up with something in the near future or Hasbro or Takara needs to make a voyager size Lockdown. Only then we will see Lockdown's true on screen image.

11. JasonPrime

JasonPrime Well-Known Member

I agree. As awesome as Lockdown was in the film I am shocked at the lackluster treatment he is getting in toy form. C'mon Hasbro/Takara. Give us a voyager that really does justice to one of the best movie characters to date.

12. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    If only Human Alliance figures were still a thing. :( 

13. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    When was the last time Hasbro did a Voyager sized car (sports or passenger) in the mainline?

Never.

14. jayman118

jayman118 Well-Known Member

Same here, even if i have most of the HA line i feel like i should have supported the line even more just like how i support the MP line.

15. JasonPrime

Ohhh... Lockdown with Frasier and Savoy would be awesome!

16. JasonPrime

They did give us a leader class one though. Bumblebee.

17. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    Yes, but only Bumblebee and only for sake of it being Bumblebee, the kid friendly hero character.

18. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sadly, Drift, Crosshairs & Lockdown are shining examples for why they need to bring back HA...

19. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus 9 Great Demon Generals progress: 3/9

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And people say Takara's is closer in color.
    Oh, how wrong they are.

20. sideswipe29

sideswipe29 Collect what makes you happy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Here's my thing... with the entire Age of Extinction movie. I personally feel that Michael Bay and his production team ignored basic principles of matter. In the first three films a car like a Camaro or a GMC Topkick truck, which are smaller than a Peterbuilt, transformed into robots that are smaller than Optimus Prime. In the first three films, Bee barely came up to Prime's crotch. In this movie he was significantly taller. He was still shorter than Prime but for me, it was too tall. The new Camaro in the film is still the same size as the previous incarnations (give or take a few inches or so). Bumblebee shouldn't be any taller theoretically and in this film, and yet he was maybe a foot or two taller (I remember seeing him standing a little bit above Prime's waist). That's an issue for me.

Now, I said all that to say this. The Lamborghini Aventador, while it is a wide vehicle it's still not as big as a flat nose truck or a Westernstar semi and yet in the film, Lockdown grows to the size of Prime. The defies physics. Now, I understand that Lockdown has a trait of being a small car and then becoming this massive robot. That's fine. I can sort of accept that argument but it's really hard to apply that principle to a toy. Especially when you're dealing with real tangible materials. It's one thing to add bulk and mass to a robot and still make it turn into a sleek Lamborghini with CGI, but that's a lot harder to do with a toy.

Yes, the Animated and ROTF Lockdown managed to grow in robot mode. However, if you look at the trends, their vehicle modes are A LOT bigger than the AOE Lockdown's. In past years the figures have gone through a massive downsize so it's hard to expect a deluxe figure now, to grow as large as a deluxe did back during ROTF or HFTD.

Could Hasbro have done things differently and not given us just a massive remold of DOTM Roadbuster? Yes. Could they have gone back to the drawing board and come up with a better way to make a sleek vehicle mode and make it stretch out in robot mode? Of course! However, we have to remember that Hasbro is a business and has to make money. As tough as it is to admit, Hasbro can't always please it's die hard fans like us. It has to be practical from a business stand point. It was easier for them to remold a current figure like DOTM Roadbuster and make it into Lockdown, and I have to say, they did a damn good job at it.

Is it perfect? No. But I think it's the best we're going to get. With the way things are now it's unlikely that we'll get amazing figures like ROTF Leader Optimus Prime or other HA figures. With the last three movies, Hasbro lost a lot of customers because transformers were too hard to transform. As bad as that sounds it's the truth. People complained about it and Hasbro listened to the "babies" because their the ones who bring in the money. Hasbro has to accommodate to all it's customers. As a company it knows that hard core followers like us will buy figures no matter what because we're already interested in this franchise. Hasbro had to make an adjustment so they could bring in new kids into this franchise. As sad as it is, sometimes we need less complicated transformers so this franchise can bring in new hard core fans. With these simpler toys it doesn't always make us happy as collectors but as a younger kid, they appreciate toys like this and I think we have to respect that. (Granted, I know this is the Generations line and it's "supposed" to be geared toward an older crowd but, younger kids could still pick this toy up and will want it to be transformed easily. Not every kid wants those flip and change figures. Some kids are more advanced than that but still need something more simple than a ROTF Prime.)

Now, I'm not saying I have all the answers and I'm not trying to cause a riff in this thread. This was my own opinion and if you agree or disagree that's totally your business. This is just my two cents worth.

Overall, this Lockdown looks like a brilliant figure under the circumstances. Would I prefer something that's totally 100% movie accurate? Sure, but I really don't see that becoming a reality any time soon so for me, I'm more than ok with this figure.