Minor/Repaint: AOE Crosshairs' Gun mod

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by cloudballoon, Jun 28, 2014.

1. cloudballoon

cloudballoon Well-Known Member

As many reviewers said, the figure should come with 2 Tec-9 long barrel guns instead of 1 Tec-9 and 2 hand guns... so I got to work and made a simple mod to attach the 2 hand guns together.

I also lengthened the neck & modded the shoulders a bit to improve on the articulation.

Still in the middle of painting the figure so it's still a WIP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. eltonlin98

eltonlin98 F.T.C

News Credits:
    That's quite the modifications. Well done!

The paint apps you added look really sharp as well!

A suggestion I have for you would to pick up some Tamiya X-28 Park Green paint to fill in that bumper area on the Corvette :) 

3. bensdady

bensdady Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can you show how you did the arm and neck mods? Cuz it looks fantastic

4. cloudballoon

Tamiya X-28 Park Green...the color is close the the figure's original green? If so I'd definately go buy it because I'd like to paint the chest too to be more CG movie accurate! Thanks for the tip!

5. cloudballoon

Hi Bensdady,

The neck: Pop the head off the ball join, then cut the ball join off at the base. find any small piece of plastic (e.g. from other model kits) that's about 1.5mm thick and crazy glue in it between the base and ball join part. Then drill a .5mm hole from the top of the ball join all the way into the torso, then find a small paper clip, cut a rod that's about 1cm in length, apply crazy glue on it and stick it into the hole.

The shoulder: See the attached photo, use a sharp exacto knife/model scissor and cut out all those useless bits that obstruct the "shoulder pad." You'll have a much easier time if you pop off the wheels first.

Attached Files:

6. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:
    The uh... "two guns" are actually detonation charges. Not guns.

7. jAaMbot800

jAaMbot800 I like to make stuff go kaboom!

MnemonicSyntax, how do you know for sure?

8. cloudballoon

Oh.. are they? I haven't seen the AOE movie yet so they might very well be. But from the shape they look like guns to me so I assume they are guns (and all the video reviews I saw they were mentioned as guns). Regardless, my goal was to use those 2 pieces to make something like a Tec-9, and the end result looks convincingly enough for me. :eek: 

9. MnemonicSyntax

News Credits:
    One of the designers of the AoE line said they were.

The indents are number timers.

People say they're guns because that's what it says on the package. The indent where you put that white stick in your tutorial is actually a digital countdown timer.

10. cloudballoon

Oh wow it does, I can see 4 count down digits ("8888") in the indents on each side. Wouldn't notice them other than generic details. Nice bit of info you picked up from the designers, thanks. Though, that say something Hasbro's communication between the designers & copy writers, lol.

At least I designed my mod to be somewhat "undoable." I can still detach the two pieces whenever I want. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  11. MnemonicSyntax

News Credits:
    It's still a pretty awesome mod. It reminds me of the guns in Borderlands 2. A certain gun type would have you throwing the gun away from you when you reloaded and the gun would explode like a grenade. On purpose.

12. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Did the arm mod. Man, makes a world of difference. I haven't had much luck with adhesives, so I'm not sure about doing the neck mod, but I like the look. As soon as I can find some paints, I want to paint him up a lot like your's, too.

13. cloudballoon

Great to read that you did the mod too. It's easy to do and does make a significant difference IMO, totally worth it :) 

14. SeekerNami

SeekerNami Seeker

Huh, hello there!
    I'm also interested in customizing my Crosshairs toy. And I'm also inclined to do the necessary modification to his paint.
    However... how did you pull the pieces apart? I've spent hours trying to find screws or something to start removing pieces to work on it but.. there's none? (Only a couple hard to reach in the back!) D:
    What would be your reccomendations? Should I just wing it and paint the toy without removing any parts? Or is there a way to safely remove all those clinches? The toy is sorta rare over here so it'd be painful to break it before properly modding it.

15. Bumblebee bug 1

Bumblebee bug 1 Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Clever usage of the guns/detonation charges, but that shoulder mod is completely unnecessary. You just need to rotate the wheels out an extra 45 degrees, and you'll get even more movement from them.[​IMG]

16. cloudballoon

Not quite true. When the wheel parts are pulled back 45 degrees, they're in contact with the torso and pushes the arms forward, limiting mobility, and scratches the paint.

My mod allows the shoulders to be pulled out further to the sides allowing the whole arm free 360 rotation without the parts touching the torso, and without pulling the wheel parts 45 degree. I remember the shoulders after-mod can be pulled FURTHER than simply rotating the wheel parts 45 degree back. (As it was the reason I did the mod).

Trust me, the mod makes the shoulder better looking (subjectly) and gained better articulation.

17. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer D&D newbie

News Credits:
    This Casaulocbu guy on Instagram made this custom Crosshairs. I really like what he did with the rubber flaps of the trench coat, then he cut off those pieces that cover his hands and left them on where they go in vehicle mode. It looks really good in my opinion.

Screenshot_2017-02-15-01-26-36~2.png

I never got Crosshairs when he first came out, and the price he goes for now is just plain unfair. I'm considering getting that Hot Shot repaint, because it's cheap and doesn't look too bad. If I do get him, I'll do your shoulder mod and this guy's trenchcoat/hand mod.

I'd love to do the neck mod, but I don't have any drill bits that small (or even a drill, for that matter).