Aoe cgi cheats more than the other movies

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Vincymon, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Vincymon

Vincymon Well-Known Member

I was just thinking about the Age of extinction movie, the redesign of Optimus prime and Galvatron, plus autobot drift and the green guy and ...

I feel like they cheated way too much with the CGI this time around.

I mean, from the go, the transformers movies were always complex looking bots and I don't mind that one bit . I always thought the complexity of the design made the toys all the more fun.

I mean...just look at ROTF leader class optimus prime, or the leader class starscream, Human Alliance Jazz just to name a few of the exceptional molds we have gotten despite the complex on screen model.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yet with age of extinction, we have a triple changer DRIFT... with neither of his vehicle mode's parts visible AT ALL in the cgi rendered robot mode....leaving us no choice but to pick up 2 separate toys (one for each alt mode)

A green car that somehow transforms to have a cape !

And an optimus prime who transforms in such a way that the back wheels, windshield and gas tanks completely disappear.... leaving us with a toy that looks more like a travelling adventure tourist

[​IMG]

I don't know about you guys but...i think they went overboard here.
    I agree that they can't keep prime the same ...but the design of the toy was a let down.

Heck, GALVATRON'S TRANSFORMATION IS PIXELATED, YET HIS TOY IS STILL TRANSFORMS BETTER THAN OPTIMUS' PRIME
    [​IMG]

2. Zhadow

Zhadow Oh hi there

K den.

3. blitzjoans

blitzjoans From Ground to Sky

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    They always cheat, nothing new, this time they designed more human bots than the previous movies. Just look the behind the scenes vĂ­deo of the first movie, all the tfs have cheats in the transformations, they dont actually have a transforming animation, its all for the marketing. But, they do a good job hidding the cheat. The thing is, more human designs, more problems to do a transformation sequence. Crosshairs never transform, Drift only from robot to heli, Hound not too, Optimus hides 2/3 part from his body in the new form, etc etc

Lockdown is the only good one.

And for Galvatron and drones, well, time saving cheat, there's no real work in that, a particle effect and thats it

4. Poncho

Poncho :/

Drift's Bugatti grille is on his chest. How could you miss that?

Also, Crosshairs' cape did make it to the toy. I don't care if the cape couldn't be possible with a Corvette's vehicle parts, because it's badass. Rule of Cool, dude.

5. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well I suspect it was wholly down to the effects budget. I'm not saying they did not have the money but I could see it being an order from the studio to save money in places like the transformation and simpler robots. As for the designs well we knew way in advance the days of super complex tf's in the main line were done so with no expectation to make a toy to the standards of ROTF prime they just did what they had to do and made something kids would want and parents could afford and not have to worry about transforming.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    What else is new.

Their is only so much you can do for designs that will actually work. Yes maybe we should aim for simpler and more plausible transformation but i think back to a lot of good faux parts over the years and it doesn't bother me....if it works, whose to complain.

7. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    It just seems to me that these overly obvious cheats take away from the movie entirely too much and are a source of one of the biggest complaints about this movie (Transformium, come on!!). Personally, I want ingenious, creative transformations and I want to see them on screen. Cool bots are wonderful and Prime has the best design in my opinion, but watching him transform on-screen both ways is just simply incredible. Then add on to that the existence of my all-time favorite Transformer, Buster Prime, which has that complicated transformation, and an absolutely screen accurate bot and alt mode and I'm in heaven. I mean wow. That's how it should be done. I just wish the movie producers realized how important that is and made character designs that Hasbro could then create with their figures.

I need cool designs on-screen and then just as cool figures to collect. I just can't stand the crap cheats in the movie, only to be followed up with crappier toys that don't have any kibble and cheat like crazy only to get a cheap looking approximation of the on-screen character. I mean, they are Transformers, they are supposed to have car parts and whatnot hanging off of them so you can tell what it transformer into.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  8. Vincymon

It's just underwhelming for me.
    All the toys have been reasonably cool until now.

I don't mind a few "fau" parts. maybe a fau grill etc. a fau chest plate. As long as both modes are as close to the onscreen as possible...without excessive kibble on the robot mode.

So far, for most of the Movie lines they have done this to a varying degree of success.

But the leader class prime from AOE just seems like 5 steps backwards it annoys me to no end that an entire half of the truck hangs off the back of the robot...untransformed.

And what makes it worse is...in the on screen render you cannot even see where the truck parts are on his robot mode. I get that it's supposed to be an alien robot... but some evidence of the vehicle mode has to be present in the robot...it helps with the illusion that the robot can actually turn into a vehicle.

9. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    AoE had the least aesthetically pleasing designs.

10. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, this is the biggest issue I have with the AOE designs. Mostly on prexisting characters like Optimus and Bumblebee. They made the robot designs less believable as something that can actually turn into a vehicle and some of the vehicle parts are gone or overly distorted on the robot mode to the point where I can barely even tell Optimus still turns into a truck. Why take away his windshield boobs?

11. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's happened since G1 I am sorry you just figured it out.

12. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    It's strange, you can work out something resembling a transformation on the man-made, "pixel-former" Junkheap:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ... But for "real" Transformers there's only the barest hint of an alt mode. A logo here, a headlight there, but nowhere near the usual amount Transformers get.

This decision was extra weird because Hasbro was really pushing for simpler transformations. I dunno if Hasbro could even guide the designs for toy reasons, but it was spectacularly bad timing for the bots to start looking like they don't actually transform.

Attached Files:

13. Vincymon

I know right ?
    HOW COULD THEY SIMULTANEOUSLY MAKE THE ROBOTS LOOK LESS LIKE THE VEHICLES THEY TRANSFORM TO, YET HAVE SIMPLER TOYS ?????????

It's supposed to be the other way around....if you're stepping up on the sophistication of the robot mode, then the transformation has to step up to match it.

Either that, or you leave the robot as is.

What I don't get is.... GALVATRON'S ENTIRE TRANSFORMATION IS PIXELATED, YET HIS VOYAGER TOY STILL TRANSFORMS BETTER THAN THE LEADER CLASS OPTIMUS PRIME.

14. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax You know what happens to Messiahs, don't you?

News Credits:
    Kids and parents of said kids complained about the transformation difficulties from previous movie lines.

I mean, besides the backpack, I feel Prime's transformation is pretty awesome. It looks pretty much like it does on screen (except the backpack) and you don't see too many parts in vehicle mode.

So because of the complaints, they couldn't "step up" the toy. Still though, I think the toys from AoE are pretty darn good, but not as good as the Human Alliance figures. Different lines, what have you.

Size used to be a problem, but I got me some oversized KOs of Drift, Crosshairs and Hound and they all pretty much fit in with HA's now. I got Leader Prime from AoE because I enjoy fiddling with him, even if he doesn't really fit size wise with the other OS KOs.

15. Vincymon

seriously ,what is wrong with these guys...lowering toy standards instead of teaching their children to be smarter.

16. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax You know what happens to Messiahs, don't you?

News Credits:
    Yes, but most parents don't understand the class system. Also, Prime has had a Voyager class that was just a smaller version of his Leader class (Battle Blades Prime/ROTF Leader) so not every Voyager is designed to be simplified for the "idiot kids."

And I'm not sure what you mean about overpriced Voyager. AoE Leader Prime isn't that much shorter than ROTF Leader Prime. If you're referring to the transformation simplicity, again, that's parents complaining.

You can call them idiots all you like, but unless you're a parent yourself and are also a fan of these toys, they aren't exactly that simple to transform. Parents don't want to take the time to learn to transform them. And before you go off on a tangent about not being "good parents" I have a friend who plays Transformers with his 6 year old son, but doesn't ever transform them, regardless of "class", line, etc.

Your analogy is highly flawed. A paint job would cover the entire toy or product. If one part of the paint job sucks, then it wouldn't be a great paint job. However, it's still a great toy, even with the backpack.

There are people here who have echoed the sentiment that they feel the backpack adds more of the "vehicle parts in robot mode" and therefore find it acceptable. It's not perfect, but then again there's always Radicons.

And before you start on the tangent that toys shouldn't require any "Radiconning" and should have a better transformation out of the box, well, not all the toys are going to be made to your liking or personal preference. Those that are, fantastic. Those that aren't... that's what the Radicons are for. And they've been doing it to toys across the board since G1.

Teaching a child to transform a toy doesn't make them necessarily smarter, it just makes them able to transform a single toy. Again, if you don't have a child, then it's easy to say something like this.

For parents who are also part of the fandom (myself included) kids like my son has no trouble transforming both AoE and ROTF Leader Prime because I too am interested in that toy.

Lastly, not to insult you, but while you put down kids for calling them idiots, it might do you well to learn how to use basic HTML so you can quote the above like I did, instead of having to go through and dissect everything you stated to form a response to.

Learning, yeah?

EDIT: And is this a gripe about toys? Because it seems that way, and would belong in the Toy Discussion forum instead.

17. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    This thread again?

18. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    I can care less about the toys, the movie designs are more important to me. Cheating has always been part of what the animators get away with when bringing transformers to life.

19. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    Personally I just feel the cheating detracts from what makes the characters interesting. The alt modes give them personalities to an extent, but with these cheats we have a badass truck turning into a knight. Seems kind of odd. I just prefer characters like Ironhide who is a big burly truck that turns into a bruiser of a robot.

Plus, the damn cheats in AOE force the toys to be all jacked up since it's damn near impossible to be screen accurate in both modes. Again, I like a bit o'kibble on my bots rather than just some humanoid thing.

20. Zhadow

Zhadow Oh hi there

Y'know how hard it is to set most things notable of resemblance to the alt-mode?

Pretty damn.