aoe, anyone like it

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Arrogant Arachnid, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Ultimaster09

Ultimaster09 waging a constant war against all hot rods

I think its alright. Probably my bias as I had started getting into collecting at the time and got that leader class bronze-gold grimlock,a few dinobots, a one step drift and that ginormous grimlock that was larger than a 3 month old golden retriever. And guess what? I loved them. so yeah, I think it's an alright film

• Like Like x 4
  2. Galvatross

Galvatross Put down the kool-aid Veteran

To me, themes are important just like story and character. I don't just go to films to be entertained, but to take in what I watch and reflect on what I see. In my opinion, a Transformers film that makes one think is one that is heavily enjoyable. And, while certainly having its ridiculous elements, which I feel weren't any more or less ridiculous or worse than the other films, Age of Extinction actually made me think, perhaps more than any other film produced in recent years. That is not nothing.

What was one of the main complaints with the designs of the first three movies? That there were too much in the way of insectoid, grey shard metal Decepticons. The designs of the first three movies were hated by many existing fans.

AoE's designs were, generally speaking, more colorful, rounded, and/or visually expressive than the designs. Lockdown and Galvatron are visually expressive. The Autobots are more visually expressive. Stinger and the KSI Decepticons were colorful, and even the Dinobots have differing tints to them. Ironically, they're also arguably closer to the G1 designs than their predecessors in terms of general design philosophy, even if not in terms of specific characters.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong preferring one to the other, because there isn't. Personally, I like a variety of designs, and that's what both the earlier films and later films gave me. I'm just saying it's ironic how fans used to rip apart the earlier films' designs, but now defend the designs which were once hated and claim the newer designs are so much "worse" than the designs so many once claimed to hate!

I have watched all five films many times, and I enjoy all of them, and I can tell you what the first three had that the last two didn't: nostalgia and familiarity.

The first three movies and the last two are all on the same level of film-making. They all have the same director. Three of them have the same writer (although RotF also credits Kurtzman and Orci). The same guy did the scores for all five. They all have some notable editing mistakes. They all have the same formula. The earlier films' concepts and characters weren't any more fleshed out. The later films weren't any more nonsensical.

The first three movies all featured the adventures of the Witwicky family (who weren't always loved by fans). They all heavily featured the U.S. military fighting alongside the Autobots (which, once again, was hated by many fans due to N.E.S.T. stealing a lot of the action spotlight from the Autobots). They all featured teams of random, mostly non-speaking Decepticons infiltrating or arriving on Earth.

Age of Extinction was the first time in the movies that seriously switched things up, even if it's structurally the same. No more Witwickies or any of the old humans. This was not a universe where the Autobots or the Decepticons were at full strength; instead, both were at a low point, and Lockdown and Cemetery Wind hunted the remnants on Earth. The military were no longer allies with the Autobots, and few, if any, of the Autobots liked or trusted humans, at least in the first parts of the movie. No more random Decepticons coming to Earth. With Cybertron seemingly gone, it was no longer about Cybertron, but about how the Transformers as a species were threatened with extinction throughout the cosmos, with the story on Earth of Lockdown hunting the Autobots being a microcosm of what the Creators were doing on a larger scale.

Human beings develop schema through which new information and experiences are filtered through. If the early movies were what introduced fans to Transformers, then most such fans would filter future Transformers movies through the schema of the Witwicky movies. Likewise, more G1 fans probably feel nostalgic for Seasons 1 and 2, with guys like Megatron, Starscream, Optimus, etc., than to the later seasons. To both groups fans, 2007-RotF-DotM were in the realm of nostalgic and familiar, while AoE-TLK teetered outside of that comfort zone. And that, rather than any real differences in quality, is why AoE/TLK are hated more, despite the earlier movies also being hated by many in their time.

Now, keep in mind I'm not saying there's anything wrong with preferring some of the movies to the others. There isn't. However, I don't think that some of the Bay movies are these exemplars of what Transformers should be (or at least acceptable adaptations of Transformers), and then others these abominations that ruined the brand and the Bayverse like some fans on here like to pretend. All of the movies are heavily inspired by examples of existing fiction, even if they all take some liberties as well. Nor am I saying some of the movies don't do some things better than others, but in the end, we're still talking about movies that are all about the same caliber.

Personally, I think both the themes and how the themes connect the threads and characters, as well as things like voice acting, make AoE a very enjoyable Transformers story.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. PrimeSlave

PrimeSlave Well-Known Member

As far these movies go, I can say that... I like AoE? It has (with a possible exception of DOTM, probably more than the others) a lot of good ideas, themes and concepts going on. The writing, pacing and overall... uhm, content there isn't excatly top-notch, but there's a handful of great scenes nonetheless. For example, it gives us relatively good amount of dialogue between the transformers themselves, the best villain of the movie series and even some of the action scenes are good ("HERE I AM!"), but it gets very tiring towards the end.

As with other TF movies before Bumblebee, it doesn't quite manage to carry itself all the way. The beginning is very promising and despite the "I'M AN INVENTOR" etc. stuff, it builds up rather well. Then, as with the previous, it sort of loses patience and drops the story.

What I always love to point out about this movie is Optimus Prime. While still suffering from poor writing (dialogue-wise anyway), it's interesting how the movie makes him vulnerable and a bit more imperfect than your usual Optimus. He's hurt, backstabbed and pissed. And given that Bayformers Prime is already - or that's how I like to imagine him - traumatized and tired war veteran, it's saying something... He sort of got enough, which makes his personal journey in the movie very interesting.

So, in many ways, I find AoE full of interesting, relatively well-executed stuff, which made it enjoyable on it's own right, but poor pacing kills it a little bit. What AoE and even TLK do surprisingly well though, are the scenes involving Transfomers and no action; Lockdown, Hound, Optimus and some others have quite cool moments and pieces of dialogue I wish these films had more.

But yeah, I don't really fancy watching these that much, but I appreciate AoE for many of the mentioned qualities and find it rather inspiring!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Galvatross

Galvatross Put down the kool-aid Veteran

I have an even more positive opinion of AoE than you do, but I think you state your opinion very well good. Good job! Shrektastic!

• Like Like x 2