Anyone who says Prime is bad for killing Megatron...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OptimusPancake, Aug 23, 2011.

1. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

G1 toon Optimus never killed anyone.Every time he had the chance he let them go.

The only times it "looked" like he was willing to kill was in the episode War Dawn and in the 86 film.

And in the episode its debatable if those guys died, and he didnt pull the tiger in the 86 film

Many seem to confuse "characterization" with the voice actor and useing older dialog.

2. dcarpenter46

dcarpenter46 Transformers Emporium

lol.. I hear that..

3. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    Even Comic G1 Prime was against killing anything, even went so far as killing himself because he "killed" some video game characters on accident... And they weren't even real!

4. 13 Primes

13 Primes Well-Known Member

I know the difference between "characterization" and using dialog.:tongue: 
    To me the reason G1 Optimus didn't kill anyone is because it's a
    Cartoon, And No Autobots and humans were getting killed.
    In the movies It's a real war, Megatron doesn't just
    threaten a human and then let them go, in the Movies he kills them,
    And Orders his Decepticons to Kill them.
    If G1 Optimus was put in the same position as Movie Optimus,
    then I'm sure he Would do the Same thing.
    The Decepticons in the Movies are Hard to take down you've got to hit
    them hard and quickly, to take those cons down.
    And I haven,t seen the G1 86 Film but Iv'e heard people say that "someone":wink:  Got in Optimus' way of killing Megatron in that film.
    And in Most G1 Episodes Megatron retreated Before Optimus could finish them Off.
    And To me and (It's just My Opinion) G1 Optimus Would Do the Same thing Movie Optimus did or vise versa :thumbs2: 

5. Blot

Blot Terrorcon Foot Soldier

News Credits:
    Optimus in in the cartoon and comics may have been against killing innocent bystanders (which is why he essentially committed suicide in the comic--he allowed AI innocents to be killed), but he was not against killing 'cons.

He's the leader of the Autobots and the very reason they "wage their battle" is "to destroy the evil forces of the Decepticons"--not arrest them, or hurt them, or exile them, or convert them, etc. but DESTROY them.

6. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

You say you no the difference, but then you poiunt out that it was a toon for the reason there was no killing.

And yes, that was the "real world" reason.

But the writers then made it part of how the character was depicted and how he came across.

In stead of just writing stories that had the bad guys getting away before they got killed, they went out of their way to write stories in which Optimus gave them the option to surrendered, or to retreat and go home by intent.

And that is a difference in how the character was depicted in the 80's and in the Bay films.
    He was, and didnt kill
    Yes that "sort of happened", but Optimus had plenty of time to pull the trigger before that happened and he didnt do it.

Not to mention that in the comic adaptation of the same story HotRod never interfered and Optimus still didnt kill Megatron.

Again, Optimus allowed him to retreat in most cases, even once when Megatron was helpless laying on the ground under Optimus's foot.
    Your welcome to your opinion, but the facts prove otherwise.

G1 toon and comic Optimus had pleanty of occasions to do the same, and never did.

7. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

What Blot said. Too bad that so many series have not let Optimus follow through on that (Bayverse and TFPrime excepted).

8. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Actually he "killed himself" after killing some video game characters , but not exactly by accident.

and yet.... in the entire series he failed to kill any???

At least no confirmed kills by Optimus, and any time he had the perfect chance to kill Megatron he chose not to.

9. Honorbound

That's what happens when the censors hamstring you.

10. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

that may be the case, but it doesnt change the fact of what I'm saying.

80's Optimus didnt kill, it was part of how the character was depicted, even if its unrealistic.

11. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    I still think it could work if Prime didn't "find out". How do we know he will betray and kill everyone? The dude wasn't right in the head. Heck, there was a huge hole in his head. His thoughts could've definitely changed.

12. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I'm not sure if you're referring strictly to G1 or the franchise in general, but Optimus Prime killed Galvatron in Transformers: Cybertron. Ran him through with a big-@$$ sword. Not trying to add fuel to the fire...

13. Blot

Blot Terrorcon Foot Soldier

News Credits:
    He shot at 'cons all the time and his gun was not set to stun. He just missed a ton while attempting to kill them. Basically he just sucked at destroying Decepticons...:eek: 

:p 

Maybe Rodimus actually IS the better Autobot leader--he actually accomplished the stated Autobot goal:

[​IMG]

14. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I never implied otherwise
    you cant say that for certin

Optimus hit his targets more then most in the show.

And theres no evidence he ever "attempted" to kill any with intent.

And shooting alone is not evidence of an attempt when one knows the shot wont really kill

:mad 

the UK comics were more realistic.

15. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yyyyeah, I've seen that picture before. Funny thing is, I seem to recall there was a little more to that scene. Here, I found it.

[​IMG]

That's what separates the Primes in the comics and cartoons from Prime in the movies. In the comics and toons they still show regard for all life, even their worst enemies. Optimus in part 1 still had this quality as he solemnly states that Megatron left him with no choice. The funny part being that he didn't even kill Megs in part 1. It was Sam's choice to ram the cube into Megatron's spark chamber and not Optimus'. But in part 2 and 3, whatever regard Optimus had left for Decepticon life is gone.

Here's how I kind of look at it:

[​IMG]

Superman and Wolverine are both heroes. But their attitudes and how they get things done are different. They may still come up with the same outcome (bad guys defeated, etc. etc.), but the methods they use to get there are different. Neither one is essentially better than the other, and personally I like Wolverine more than Supes anyway. But in the case of Optimus, I've always seen him as a Superman type; impossibly idyllic and noble to a fault. Wolverine is more down-to-Earth and world-weary. He won't hesitate to cut his enemies into little bitty pieces. He'll get the job done. It'll be dirty and the other X-Men will be all put off by his violent methods, but he won't lose any sleep over it.

Neither version is wrong. I prefer my Optimus to be more like Superman. Others like the Wolverine type. Whatever. But to say that there's *NO* difference between them just because they both come up with the same end result is to woefully ignore everything else about them.

16. Honorbound

And that's what I like to call a major flip-flop, or an inconsistency, whichever you prefer.

17. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Or maybe he actually has no say in the matter.

18. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

awesome

its amazing how remorse at the very least brings a hero back from murderous rampage to a remorseful leader with morals

19. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

20. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

lol i was being serious. love the pic