Anyone watched John Rambo?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by LigerPrime, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Don't worry, I have the same thing with everything that's yellow with black stripes and have stingers. It's really hard for someone who doesn't have it to understand what it's like, how you start feeling panicked as if you're life is in danger (even when it's not) and just wanting to GTFO of there.

2. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This movie is awesome. I loved every minute of it and I personally think it is the best of the bunch. I can't believe Sly is 61 and still making movies like this. He really did a great job with this film. The supporting cast was really good too.

RAMBO = WIN

3. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    I just watched First Blood for the first time. I didnt know it took place in America. Are the sequels really that bad?

But I didnt do anything. Classic. The ending was pretty awesome.

I need to see the new one.

4. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The two 80s sequels are definitely different from the first film, much more focused on the action and all that, complete with one liners, but that bad?

First Blood Part II is a revered 80s action film, one of the quentessential ones imo. It may have a low score at Rotten Tomatoes and all that, but it's a classic for the genre, and was the 2nd most successful film that year after Back to the Future. If Rambo blowing up evil Vietnamese soldiers with arrows sounds like a good time to you, fucking watch it.

The shitilly titled "Rambo 3" is maybe not as good, but I still personally enjoy it for what it is. Lots of action, shooting, sneaking around to rescue people, etc. A good time.

Both are worth watching imo, especially if you do tend to enjoy action movies in general and don't necessarily need Oscar-worthy stories or acting to enjoy a film

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  5. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Just watch the opening sequence, then when you see Rambo poking around the grass close your eyes or whatever until you hear the Christian leader guy start talking, I think you'll be mostly ok. To be safe you might wait until the woman goes to talk to him to look. No more than a few minutes total.

6. Ktulu

News Credits:
    Much appreciated, thanks

7. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Aye, "First Blood" is definitely different than the other Rambo flicks, and also much MUCH better.

Hell, in "First Blood", John Rambo didn't even kill anyone. That idiot guy in the chopper took of his harness and fell.

Oh, and for you snake fans

http://entimg.msn.com/i/gal/Rambo/Rambo_09_502.jpg

Don't click on the link if you have a fear of snakes

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  8. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Devilfamz - you sure are BAD! Seriously though, I don't recall that scene in the movie???

9. Ktulu

News Credits:
    Wow you're cool, let's make fun of people's WORST FUCKING FEARS

10. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Can someone spoil for me if Rambo dies or not? I'm curious as to this.

11. Ktulu

News Credits:
    No, he doesn't die

12. drill

drill Gotham's White Knight

News Credits:
    This had to be the funniest movie I have seen in a long time.

He blows up a nuke. He rips out a mans throat with his bare hands. And the Missionaries are hillarious! "You should never take a life. I have to report you!"

13. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Yeah, there was an article in my country's newspapers that Rambo was so funny in a serious sense. I'm wondering...is it possible to tear out a person's throat?

14. dark_mullet

dark_mullet Banned

Ya know I could never figure out completely how one couldn't even SEE their phobia. Not that there's anything wrong with it, I just could never figure it out. I guess I'm just not...phobia-ed enough by my phobias or something.

Also, I'm sure some guys can tear out a throat with enough strength and rage. Usually its done just to make a point.

15. Ktulu

News Credits:
    Well in my case not only is it that I would'nt want to be near one, or touch one, be bitten by one, etc, the way they look just creeps me the hell out. I've not seen anything else that has such an effect on me. It's a total panic attack sort of thing. I know it seems insane or whatever, but that's just me, and really, it's not uncommon, many others are the same, either or about snakes or many different other things.

Tired of having to justify it though

Anyway

Movie did pretty well, was number 2 at the box office and was only behind by like 300 thousand or something like that, and it's still rated over 8 at IMDB even after 8,000 votes have come in, pushing it into the Top 250 rated films for the time being.

16. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    Just got back. Spoilers

The claymore blowing up an unexploded bomb from WW2 was awesome! The third act was total carnage! The ending was a nice finale. Rambo finally returns home. Good for him, but who is maintaining his homestead?

17. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    Sly said this...The Burmese military spends billions of dollars every year in Washington D.C. hiring publicity firms to completely distort the ongoing genocide, so this is the only way I can assist them and it’s a privilege to do so.

Mods..if you deem this political, I guess I understand.

18. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Most likely it was his father...while taking the aid workers to the village, Rambo mentions that probably his father was still alive.

19. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    I would have liked to see him meet his father, and breakdown like he did in the first movie.

20. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I actually think it's kinda cool how cheesy the third act became. It was like Sly took all the good parts of 80s macho action, and mixed it with modern "realistic" sensibilities.

I guess if you're John Rambo, you can fire a .50 cal machine gun with sharpshooter precision.

I have a question: where did someone get the idea that the claymore blew up a WW2 bomb? I just assumed Rambo's sweat was pure plutonium, thus explaining the nuclear explosion.