Anyone thinking about buying the new Voltron instead of Hercules?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by micah1199, Sep 18, 2011.

1. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First of all why do I have to choose? I don't see one as a substitute for another. I have the Hercules parts on order, and I passed on Voltron because of everything that everyone has said before. Now that the sub is open again I'm debating whether or not to sign up for him. Mattel's Voltron isn't my ideal Voltron but he's big and in the end he's going to sit on the shelf in combined form. I was almost contemplating buying Toynami's vinyl Voltron and that's like $200 and solid. Another $100 for a big version transforming version doesn't sound horrible.

2. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    No. I already have Exgraver and I'm saving up for the rest...

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I wasn't really planning on it, but I kind of want to get this new Voltron now.

4. Omega_Sentinel

Omega_Sentinel Well-Known Member

Anyone who has been trying to collect the MOTUC line with their crashing website and craptastic distribution would utterly and emphatically disagree with you.

5. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    He should also check out the ToyArk section to see the feedback from the Ghostbusters and DC fans who've had to deal with Mattel's notorious collector lines and services :) 

6. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    I've got a subscription for the new Voltron. Looks great to me so far. To me it looks far more accurate and proportionate than the original Popy/Godaiken toy and I never see people howling about how ugly that one is. Honestly the comments declairing it to be a disaster or a terrible toy or the Toynami being "better in every way" seem rather knee-jerk and premature to me - and probably based on sticker-shock. I know people like to jump to conclusions and make final declarations as soon as possible, but it's still going to be more than a year before anyone can say with any certainty how it compares to previous Voltron toys.

And this isn't an argument in favor of the new Voltron by the way. I refuse to argue for or against it until I have the whole thing assembled and standing in front of me. I'm guessing I'll like it - I like the original, I like the plastic version of the original with pilots and zoomy wheels, I like the big 20" Trendmasters version, I even like the regularly-crucified Panosh Place toy. They each bring something different to the table and I like having several different representations of a character or robot in my collection. I'm not really expecting Mattel's Voltron to be a "definitive" version of the toy since I don't really believe in "definitive" versions of anything. I don't know what to expect from it since I'm not familiar with transforming robot toys from Mattel - but I know what I hope it will be: A big, sturdy and fun Voltron toy with nicely articulated pilot figures.

In any case, why is the new Voltron and Hercules being pitted against one another anyway? They're both large combining toys, but any comparable factors end there.

7. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

The 80's die-cast Matchbox version imo is better then the Matty version. The new one looks cheap.

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Most logical post of the thread.

Nerd babies be spilling their juice over this Voltron. You'd think that some of them already had the fucking thing in-hand. But this is a TF forum, so more people would obviously side with Devastator. It's equally obvious that the argument would be inverted on a Voltron message board, with the majority of members calling TFC's Devs an overpriced piece of shit. Also, I'm starting to look at the absence of chrome as one of the worst reasons for people to not buy a figure. To me, chrome is hit or miss on a toy, which is why I didn't become an automatic slave to the Henkei line.

p.s. I had a Panosh Place Voltron growing up. I loved that thing and this upcoming Voltron seems like the former, but with better execution.

9. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

I was thinking getting the new Voltron in addition to Hercules but then looked at my wallet :(