Anyone still unemployed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Glhboy, May 19, 2009.

1. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

That is just how you see the situation. Your viewpoints and opinions are not the absolute reality of the world at large, friend.

Depends on a lot of things and I know some HR people are really pains in the ass about you following up. Not all HR people are actually qualified to do HR. That is part of the problem like any job and some small to mid-sized companies don't have qualified HR people that find things like 'making sure your benefits are functional' troublesome.

One of the things that you can often do is reverse engineer a job posting to find out 'who' is doing the hiring as the online job poster often is a recruiter and not the company itself. If you can then figure out who the company is actually with, you can then seek out their website/address and apply directly to them instead of through the service. This is where hitting the bricks sometimes helps because if they hire you directly and not through a staffing firm that blasted out a job description online, they can save 25% of your salary and often a huge fee. Some of the best jobs are never advertised directly as the company doesn't have the ability to wade through the resumes and rely on a service or a firm to only present top level candidates and weed through the resumes.

It is hit or miss, but online postings many times can be a black hole due to the nature of the market right now. It is worth digging deeper.

2. BenPrince

BenPrince Banned

Try again sweetheart, that IS my situation. It happened, it is a fact. If you weren't so concerned with sounding superior and acting like everyone but you was a moron you might see that.

3. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

well they knew i would be looking for another job because i worked in a yacht building facility and was going to school for computers. the big boss knew i was looking and wasn't holding it aginst me because he himself told me i had hit a celing in terms of pay when i asked for a raise one day. but i see what you are saying, and in most cases i wouldn't have let them know i was looking but the boss knew i wanted to make more because having 2 kids and a wife living off my income ( around 23 grand a year) wasn't the best situation in the world financially.

4. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Good, but for people who have been unemployed 8 months like some people in this thread, blind resumes getting them a job in 3 days doesn't seem to be working and you have no other valid input or advice.

There are lots of reasons why the Internet job postings are failing to provide results for people and if they start to see why from people who are experienced at the other end of the hiring process they might be able to navigate the system better instead of crashing upon the rocks.

edit: and for people who say they are not getting consideration because they are overqualified, this does happen. 'TURNOVER' is a financial burden and eats away at all sorts of overhead costs. Companies often forgo candidates that are overqualified as they assume this is a temp job and the second they find something better (which could be at any time) they will jump ship. Since most companies have to train you and at least acclimate you to the corporate workings and culture, all of that lost productivity and effort is lost if you turn around 6 weeks later and leave. Not to mention if it is a job people are not interested in doing as they are overqualified for, Productivity and motivation become an issue. So part of Hiring is finding someone who is the right fit and a good hire is usually one you know will want to be there at least a year (or as long as can be expected in a high turn over position).

I know that sounds crappy to people without a job, but discussing your career and writing in a cover letter your plans *CAN* help. If you feel you may be neglected for being overqualified then flat out say that you are looking for employment that will last 6 months regardless while you re-enroll in school, adjust/change career fields or simply level out your employment history. Otherwise your resume will read as "I will work doing this lower paid job because I need money but as soon as I get a better offer I am such a ghost."

Overqualifcation is not a protect class which means businesses CAN discriminate because they stereotype people who are overqualified as someone who will turnover quickly.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  5. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Small update: just got a job for the summer :)  Hopefully I can get a part time job this fall to give me a little extra cushion to help pay off bills during grad school.