Anyone still unemployed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Glhboy, May 19, 2009.

1. Glhboy

Glhboy Goes Like Hell....

News Credits:
    I was just wondering if I was one of the few still out there. My position was eliminated on 12/18/2008 and I haven't been able to find anything at all. Here it is exactly 5 months later and no job.

My last position, I was Operations Manager for a paper distribution company, think the shoe The Office. Of course anyone right now selling a commodity is not doing well, hence the position elimination...well the company did 28 eliminations that day.

I have a dual degree from IU in Marketing and Distribution Management as well as over 11 years work experience, 6 of which were in Operations Management.

I apply to jobs regularly that are everything that I have done before and don't get any response of any kind. I know it's like a "buyer's" market out there as it is with the housing industry, but man I didn't think it would be this long.

Luckily my last employer gave me a couple months severence pay and now of course I'm drawing unemployment, but it is getting very depressing to say the least.

I am also a networking fool and try to meet as many people as I can to try and possibly make some good work connections, it's been my biggest help, but still hasn't popped anything yet.

Anyway, wanted to see if anyone was still doing this?

2. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Applying to jobs via website postings or blind resumes is practically a waste of time in every capacity.

Almost no company I have ever worked for or worked with has ever really hired a professional or management position via blind resume posting.

It is all who you know and networking. For someone of your position, you may need to consider a headhunter or a recruitment firm.

Also, the 'show up in person to deliver your resume' is always worth a shot. Most times it will get you at least a 'face-to-face' interaction with the HR person when you hand over your resume and sometimes they will have you fill out the obsolete paper employment application. All that 'time' spent in their office is that much closer to getting your resume to float to the top of the pile.

At some point, I think a lot of people don't know how to get a job. Sending emails to monster.com doesn't actually work for most people and industries.

3. Skor

Skor I HATE U TRASH MONSTAAAR! TFW2005 Supporter

We've done most of our employing recently via online job boards (our own one, UK based, funnily enough) and had some very good candidates, so don't discount it.

However, who you know is always useful.

Have you tried LinkedIn? The sheer amount of businesses using it now for recruitment as well as social networking is amazing. It's kinda mixing networking with a job board and whilst isn't really one or the other, seems to have nothing but a good effect.

4. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

well. im working part-time at my dad's restaurant (hes co-owner) but im trying to find a other job with no family tie-ins.

5. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    *raises hand*

Though admittedly I've never been employed....but that only makes it harder when all the jobs that would normally go to people like me, who don't have much or any work experience are being taken by those that have work experience.

sadface

6. Kupp

Kupp Relic of a time before time. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I haven't been unemployed in years, but my wife on the otherhand...

She is trying to get a job as a teacher, but so many people have filled positions in that field along with budget cuts, and this states drag ass bureaucracy she is barely getting work as a substitute even, and she has her master's degree in education. She only worked one day in the last three weeks, which puts alot of pressure on me on the emplyeed side of the equation.

It isn't that she lost her job, it was that she finished her education as this was starting to look for employment as this started getting rough, which has been hard on her and the money she had in the bank.

Good Luck Everyone.

7. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah I left uni with my bachelors degree and a few kind words form people who at the time were thinking of giving my a trial in their art departments but since then nothing and this was around the end of 08.

Online stuff has worked for me in the past (I got a few interviews over the phone) but some company's put up adds and forget to take them down once the role if filled E.g I filled in a huge online form to work at a local PC retailer chain I went to the store 2 weeks on turns out their was never really a job and they were over staffed if anything.

on the flip side I'm looking into setting up my own little company selling my art so I'm just looking at this as an opportunity to really do something I will enjoy and people keep telling me I should do it so I figure hey what have I got to loose?

8. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    Yeah man, I was in a nearly identical situation until yesterday. I worked as a technical writer for a larger server company - I got a job as an intern with potential to be hired long-term. after 9 months, they were prepping to hire me, that is until 90% of my dept got laid off and me along with them. This was 12/19/08, and this was the only professional position on my resume, with the exception of a little freelance work. Having my BA and being a full-time evening student towards my MS has done jack for my job search.

I got an interview through a friend's contact at a staffing firm, but lost the job to someone with more experience, then I got an interview on my own through a careerbuilder ad, but lost that job when the company decided to save money and close the position. That was in February, and it's been totally dry since last week.

My friend is leaving their job and our mutual staffing agent called me to see if I'd be interested in taking it. I was and sent my resume. Now feet are being dragged, and I have a feeling I won't even get an interview. It's ok, though, because my old boss called me the other day, offering me the full time job I was supposed to have moved into last year. Since they fired everyone, corporate has realized they need to rebuild, and so I'm getting my job back, this time for good (or however long until more layoffs anyway).

It's true though, it's almost impossible to get anywhere without a network, but it's nearly impossible to build a network without a job and professional contacts. I even joined the Society for Technical Communicators and offered to do volunteer work for them, and got nowhere. It's a hell of a market out there, but all you can do is keep trying and pray you get a break.

It's definitely a depressing experience. This is my second time through this, and I always start out upbeat, excited about the potential of new skills, building my network, etc. as the days turn to months, I get jaded and it's tough to keep trying. Last month I was wondering if maybe I was dead, as I sent out tons of emails and applications, and got no responses on anything. My only contact with the outside world has been my wife and classes 3 nights a week, and it's been rough to say the least.

So yeah, I can definitely sympathize. It's easier said than done, but try not to let it get you down.

9. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep, just finished my semester of college, and won't be starting up again till August, so's i've been lookin for about a month now and nada.

Every job i've had since high school has required me to be armed, Army, Base security, Park Ranger... i'm having some difficulty finding a job in my skill set lol.

But seriously, i'm not above flipping burgers, but all the high school kids have got that market locked down tight.

I'll find something for the summer though. I always do :D 

10. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Yep been jobless since October. Had a few contracted jobs since but nothing permanant. I had an interview this morning and it seemed to go well so I'm keeping my hopes up. Most of the resumes sites like Monster and the like are useless. They just want to to pya for all the extra stuff they offer. Although my contract jobs did come from Careerbuilder.

11. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    *raises hand* I hate it too I need money

12. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Wish that was the case.

Graduated last June..haven't even been able to get a job doing that.

Hell I was even turned down by Walmart..and Target. Twice. They'd rather hire the challenged and mouth breathers.

13. Glhboy

Glhboy Goes Like Hell....

News Credits:
    I certainly don't lean on sites like Careerbuilder or Monster. I have leaned a lot on LinkedIn since I was let go. I have made some great professional connections in person and online, but still no go. Have had interviews that I thought I did very well in and still no go again. It's just very disconcerting is all. I feel like I am doing the right things, but it is definitely hard to keep doing it everyday, in and out. I treat unemployment like having a job, I have to do something everyday, every week...etc.

14. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Off topic, but hot dogs with mustard just got uncomfortable.

15. autobotguy

autobotguy Well-Known Member

I got canned this Febuary when the company I worked for (took payments for Boost Mobile) decided to change its attendance policy without prior notice and ended out canning about 20 people. What company in this day and age allows you to only have 3 days off a year except for holidays and sometimes weekends?

I did however did get a couple small gigs doing voice talent for a couple of companies. I'm basicly the automated voice when you call them up. :) 

16. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    a bit on topic one of my friends was offered a job at a render farm but he didn't like the idea of moving to London needless to say he's kicking himself over it. Still at least he has a job at a store that basically needs him

17. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i'm a student and i quit my old job of my own free will to go to school, but i've been having a heck of a time finding a summer job, not a single callback yet, not even for on-campus jobs. i still don't regret quitting though.

18. Omega Supreme V

Omega Supreme V The token Asian one

yes

I even tried to apply for restaurant positions though I was hoping since I had some good work over at a hospital here that I could be hired as a transporter...but NOOO, nothing.

seems like no one will hire me :( 

19. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Since I arrived back in Canada last month, been sending out a lot of resume's and managed to snag a few interviews with agencies. Awaiting a call back from one job, just got back form another interview at Circuit City.

Other than that, feel like I'm twidling my thumbs.

20. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Got a job about three weeks ago, living it up.