Anyone seen Ultraviolet?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Bryan, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I was a huge fan of Equilibrium, and on the director's commentary he talks about this great idea for the final fight scene that he didn't have the money for. But he promised to bring it out for his next movie, and based solely on that I wanted to see Ultraviolet.
    But the hajji shop that sells bootlegs here doesn't have it yet, so I'm just hoping it's still it theaters around the end of April.
    Can anybody tell me if I'm missing out or if I shouldn't worry about it?

2. Neomarsala

Neomarsala Transform and Roll Out

Personally, I'd recommed avoiding that movie. Normally, I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to movies. I can usually find something in a movie I kind of like. When my friends and I went to see Ultraviolet we expected the story to suck, but we hoped the action would be cool enough to make the movie fun to watch. Well, the story was even worse than we could have imagined. It really made no sense. The action was very lame too. It wasn't really exciting at all. It was just dumb. I couldn't wait for that movie to end. My friends and I all had the same opinion about the movie. We kind of wished we had done something else.

3. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Viv and I REALLY want to see it, but we've read the reviews and plan on waiting for the DVD at Blockbuster instead...

We LOVED Equilibrium as well and thought that this would be awesome but apparently not...

4. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I saw it, and I felt that it was basically the same movie as Equilibrium (which I LOVED). There were one or two VERY cool action scenes (the one with the motorcycle and the one with the Chinese gangsters comes to mind), but the movie makes less and less sense as it goes on. The story starts off very promisingly...for about 20 minutes.

After the first 20 minutes, things just continue to make less and less sense, and the acting seems to get worse and worse. The best action scenes were definitely towards the front of the movie. Remember in Equilibrium, at the end of the movie, when a door opens, Christian Bale walks through it, and you see a room full of dead people? That's what most of the action scenes in Ultraviolet are like.

At one point, someone said Violet's full name out loud, and I don't remember what it was, but it was such a long name that it reminded of of Married With Children's Miranda Vera Cruz de la Hoya Cardinal.

Would I recommend it? Hesitant yes. There was too much cool stuff NOT to recommend it, but I'm rather dubious if there's maybe too much nonsensical stuff, too.

So, to anyone who has SEEN the movie, my thoughts are: I want inter-dimensional pockets, and "Oh, it is on!" is the funniest line (intentional?) I've seen in a movie this year.

5. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I could tell that movie was bad from the second I saw the first ad for it.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Eh. Nothing terrible, but nothing in it's favor either. Actually, it was kind of boring.

7. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I walked out of this movie just over an hour into it. Thought it was pretty bad overall and bored me to tears.

8. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The movie had no point cause there was no plot. It's like the they lost the script after page 25 and just decided to keep filming. They probably figured they could make something out of it in editing except they hired some blind guy to cut the film.

Let me frank here... this movie makes Catwoman look like an Oscar contender. I honestly wanted to go back to the ticket counter and ask for my money back.

9. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dammit. All right, I'm not gonna try to see it in theaters, and the bootlegs here are so blurry you miss a lot of the details in action scenes, so I'll put it off 'til DVD comes out. Thanks all.

10. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

is this movie based on the british tv series of the same name? it was about vampires n stuff.

11. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

From what I heard, this was another case of the director being shut out of the editing room, ala Brazil's "Love Conquers All" cut that was done without director Terry Gilliam's input. I liked Ultraviolet, but Equilibrium was the better movie by far. Less action on screen in UV, more special effects, and Milla is less compelling a character than Christian Bale was. She looks good, but I thought her character in the opening credits stood out more than it did in the rest of the movie. I would probably wait for a director's cut DVD to see what the movie maybe could have really been.

12. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I was hoping this movie would rock since I own Equilibrium and loved it. I'll wait for the director's cut DVD before checking it out.

13. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

I've never seen the british show, but there are mentions of vampires. Basically people got a blood disease that mutated them into vampires. Put it this way, it was better the Aeon Flux.

14. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    That's like saying swill is better than raw sewage.

On a side note, I had planned on seeign this movie opening weekend. Got sidetracked and never got there. Needless to say I am glad I didn't go. I've heard nothing but negativity from everyone I've talked to who has seen it. Oh well.

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    No. and neither should you.

16. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

:banghead: 
    :puke: 

But, hey, I saw it at a drive-in in my own car, so at least I was able to sleep somewhat comfortably.

17. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    If it's anything like Equilibrium then it'll be unbelievably cool, amusing and hilarious, but only if you watch it at 4 am while whacked out on mars bars. All other times it's viewed it will appear cheap, tacky, hackneyed, lame, etc.

18. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

When my friend called saying it was worse than Batman & Robin, I knew it had to be bad. I have yet to get the courage to watch it.

19. ashe5k

ashe5k Well-Known Member

Kurt was cut out of editing. It was filmed as an R rating, and the studio decided to release it as PG-13, so alot of the fights got trimmed down. Then test audiences felt it was too long so it was trimmed down to 88 minutes. The original film ran at almost two hours. 30 - 40 minutes was cut. Personally, I understand why it made less and less sense. They cut all that out. I liked it, but it was all pretty visuals and fights, the substance was left on the editing floor.

Personally, I'm hoping for a director's cut or an uncut version on DVD. Bring it Sony! *grumbles*

20. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Last post 2006? Dayum.

Anyway, Ultraviolet. This film has been at the back of my mind for ages now (ever since I read this thread three years ago actually), and whenever I go shopping I see it on BD, and I think, 'I wonder what thats like, but I remember that thread from TFW saying its poo.'

Anyway, it was on TV the other day, and I watched the first 20 minutes or so, and I actually enjoyed it a lot. I felt it was a lot like Mirrors Edge: the Film or something what with all the crazy colours and action. I deliberately stopped watching it at that point, because Freeview TV looks like ass.

So, I went out to look for it on BD, and guess what? Nowhere to be found. Looks like I wasn't the only one who caught it on TV and went a huntin'.

Anyway, I ordered it from online (fairly cheaply) and saw the whole thing yesterday in glorious High Def, and I have to say, I quite liked it.

Sure there are a lot of flaws, (the main one is the Director thinking he has more money in the SFX budget than he has) but Milla Jovovitch (who I normally CANNOT stand) was actually pretty good in this, just standing around looking good (and damn, does she look good). There are some awesome ideas and decent setpieces, and the story was actually OK, I could make out what was going on all the way through.

But actually, the deleted scenes kinda betray that there was probably a lot of studio interference. How so I hear you ask?

Spoilers ahead.

Righty, Violet is basically one super badass killer in this. But during the film, its implied that Vampires are all affected by the Vampirism in different ways. The final boss guy does say its a shame that Violets sensitivity to light wasn't affected.

Also in a deleted scene, Violet states to the Vampire boss dude that she only has 38 hours or so of life left... eh?

So my personal conclusion to this is that Voilets particular symptoms of vampirism are that she's stronger, faster, has better hearing and is basically more badass that everyone else. She's had 13 years to nurture her anger and bitterness, as well as becoming the best darn killer in the entire world. The downshot to this is its her Vampire state is not stable, and she's fast forwarding to her death.

This would explain her frankly suicidal tendancies in this film. And that got me thinking this is a pretty cool idea, she's basically throwing her life away and taking the suicide jobs because she has a deathwish. It would also explain the crazy pace of the second half of the film. She only has hours left and she's desperate to make them count.

But, it looks like Studio execs got involved and altered her state, she's no longer terminal, but simply sick. Why? For a potential sequel? Because Suicide is a touchy subject?

Urgh. Anyway, I'm glad I gave this a chance. Its not as good as Equilibrium, not by a long shot, but watching it I realise that with a minor nudge here or there, it could actually have been a classic. Shame.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009