Anyone scaling back purchases b/c of Botcon?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Mastodon, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Mastodon

Mastodon Well-Known Member

Hey everybody,

After tallying up my Botcon order and realizing it almost reached $600, I have decided to really scale back my upcoming TF purchases to account for this initial up front cost. Is anyone else doing the same?

2. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I'm going to TFcon with my dad, so he'll pay for a lot of stuff. Try mooching off of people, it's fun and easy.

Jokes aside, I'm already preparing to scale up for a time, due to the crappy ROTF toys. I will save a lot of money when the new movie comes out, so I can afford to splurge now.

DSi, here I come!

3. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm scaling back because Universe and Animated are. But I scaled back my Botcon order deliberately. Last two years I bought three boxed sets, two bagged sets, and doubles of all con exclusive toys.

This year all I've got so far is one Primus package. Nobody characters like Flak and Landshark won't appreciate like Thrust and Dirge did, just going by the names I'd expect their value to go up about as much as Bugbite.

I'm not buying a bagged set until I know what's in it and can be reasonably certain I'll get a return on it.

4. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I was, but after the loss of the Energon package, and the less than interesting set was announced I've opted out. Its not worth it, especially because there was no easy way to get two minicon packages for my mom and brother. Now I'm back to regular buying and saving the money I had set aside for the movie product launch.

5. Mastodon

I thought the same thing about the Shattered Glass set (Star Trek called, it wants its plot back) and boy was I wrong!

6. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    The difference is, Starscream, Optimus Prime, Jazz, and Grimlock aren't no-names. People paid out the NOSE for my extras.

Spock with a stupid goatee is still Spock, so to speak.

I do expect a speculative bubble in Botcon toys to burst this year. Nobody but fanboys gives a shit about Kup. Especially when done with a mediocre-at-best mold.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  7. Coinhound

Coinhound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Holding back 400.00 for the months April and May so 800.00 total and use my debit card at Botcon for 300.00 more totalling 1100.00. I'll still have my regular allowance of 195.00 each month though so Im set. And hi everyone. First post.

CH

8. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    Fortunately until the movie toys hit, there's only a hand full of TFs I plan to get. Even once the movie hits, I'm not buying that many.

By the time the convention hits all I'll need to pay for is the hotel, food, convention souvenirs and that's about it. Botcon registration and will be payed off by April.

9. Mastodon

You don't plan on buying anything in the dealer room at Botcon? I know I'm going to drop at least $200-$300 on impulse buys.

10. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    During slow release times, I catch up on older stuff. I don't plan on traveling for TF conventions. If I did, it'd take money from that budget.